High School Student Uses GameBoy to Create Fake Bomb

Austin MacKenzie

Jan 26, 2010
High School Student Uses GameBoy to Create Fake Bomb

A Florida high school student's popularity bid ended in imprisonment and felony charges after he cobbled together a "bomb" with an old GameBoy and placed it in his high school restroom.

The young man, identified as 18-year-old Lars O'Mara, constructed the "bomb" using a cell phone, an old GameBoy, and some protruding wires, which he then taped under the sink. A student alerted school officials who evacuated the school for an hour while it was investigated, and about three quarters of the student body either elected to stay home or were held back by their parents in fear of further danger once the investigation was completed.

O'Mara has admitted to the crime, saying he was just trying to boost his popularity. O'Mara won't be the first or the last high school student to end up in handcuffs after a stupid publicity stunt, but he may be facing more than just a simple slap on the wrist. O'Mara has not yet appeared before a judge to request bail, nor has he been assigned a lawyer.

Source: <a href=http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/04/1612032/fla-student-allegedly-plants-fake.html>Florida AP via <a href=http://kotaku.com/5530646/game-boy-used-in-high-school-bomb-scare>Kotaku

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
That's both genius and retarded all at the same time.

I hope they scare the living crap out of him... then go lightly, it's a dumb thing to do but surely not jail worthy.

Burwood123

Dec 2, 2009
What does popularity mean to me...? FIRE! EXPLOSIONS! DEATH! NOW DO YOU LOVE ME DADDY? NOW DO YOU LOVE ME!

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
"Hey, I want to boost my popularity! Let me fake an act of terrorism!"

And because it has to be said "Somebody set up us the bomb!"

Willeus

Mar 12, 2010
People don't seem to like me as much as they used to. I know! I'll make a fake bomb and everyone will laugh and laugh and laugh...

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
Burwood123 said:
What does popularity mean to me...? FIRE! EXPLOSIONS! DEATH! NOW DO YOU LOVE ME DADDY? NOW DO YOU LOVE ME!
You worry me...

OT: HA! I knew a kid that made a bomb threat. Lets just say he isn't going to our school and most likely any school anymore.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
So how exactly did he think putting a fake bomb in his school was going to make him popular?...

RaisonD'etre

Dec 25, 2009
I didn't know gameboy/cellphone/prodtruding wires combo could make things go boom (theoretically. Glad no one was hurt though).
And indeed, what a strange popularity boost. Are all his friends terrorists or something?

Chiefmon

Dec 26, 2008
Jack Thompson is going to have a field day with this one.

"Video games don't inspire kids to build bombs, THEY ARE BOMBS!!!"

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
RaisonD said:
I didn't know gameboy/cellphone/prodtruding wires combo could make things go boom (theoretically. Glad no one was hurt though).
And indeed, what a strange popularity boost. Are all his friends terrorists or something?
Nope, those do not usually explode, but given the situation, would you personally take a closer look or run like hell? Most people would better be safe than sorry. Now I bet the guy who put it there is real sorry.

On the bright side, now everyone at school knows who he is. Mission accomplished?

SniperWolf427

Jun 27, 2008
Austin MacKenzie said:
A Florida high school student's popularity bid ended in imprisonment and felony charges after he cobbled together a "bomb" with an old GameBoy and placed it in his high school restroom.
Yeah, haha, that's the highschool down the road from me.

When I read this I was like "That sounds familiar," and then I remembered I saw this on the local news this morning. Luckily enough, I don't attend it, but several of my friends do.

It's certainly interesting.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
"O'Mara has admitted to the crime, saying he was just trying to boost his popularity."

Um, yeah. He totally deserved what he got.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Well that was very clever of him, if also incredibly stupid. How exactly was pretending to blow up his school going to make him more popular anyway?

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
I'm fairly sure the popularity thing would have worked to an extent if he hadn't gone and said "I did it to get popular".

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
"Hey guys! I pretended to be a terrorist!" Yeah that's something to boost your popularity, maybe his fellow inmates will have stories of their own.