Hindus Ask PAX To Drop Smite

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
If I remember with Resistance, continuing complaints from religious groups only sparked up interest for buying the game, mainly because the issue at hand wasn't nearly as offensive as said group made it out to be.

SlamDunc

Aug 17, 2012
I object to there objections not only because of free speech which allows the developers to do this and they should not be forced to censor it (I don't think that means that the Hindu groups can't complain either, they have rights as well but I don't think they should try to force censorship and instead try to convince the developer this is offensive and they should change it out of respect for the religion, not financial reasons.) but also because of the way they have chosen to object to this. They claim offence from using there gods with no concern for people who still follow the Norse or Greek faiths (However few there may be.). If a came about gods is offensive why only tell them to remove your gods? What makes Kali any more of a degrading character than Thor or Zeus?

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
Are we sure that Rajan Zed wasn't hired by Hi-Rez in some sort of underground advertising project?

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Oh god, oh god this is hilarious. "Please don't use our Gods in your game, it hurts our feelings :("

If they think that people give a damn about their religion, they're in for a big surprise. XD

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Sleekit said:
The Plunk said:
I trust the Penny Arcade guys to stand up to these enemies of free speech.
still no characters from the Abrahamic religions i see.

why is that exactly ?..

oh yes...they are shitebags.

still /golfcalp in the name of "freedom of speech" eh ?..

especially when its quite clear they won't actually dare offend anyone who might actually be able to mess with them in return.

cowards.
Their job is not to include all the religions you've taken up a personal beef with. You might have noticed that Hindu deities are rather interesting looking, whilst anyone important in Christianity, Judaism and Islam is a bloke with a beard. So yeah, no shit they're not included.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Woodsey said:
Their job is not to include all the religions you've taken up a personal beef with. You might have noticed that Hindu deities are rather interesting looking, whilst anyone important in Christianity, Judaism and Islam is a bloke with a beard. So yeah, no shit they're not included.
This is exactly why I have no interest in those religions being included. They're all people with a beard, a robe, and a staff. That's boring.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
kortin said:
Woodsey said:
This is exactly why I have no interest in those religions being included. They're all people with a beard, a robe, and a staff. That's boring.
Arguably, but the Greek and Norse gods are certainly more exotic then Jesus. All the other religions included seem to be ones with pantheons of gods, as well.

Lillowh

Oct 22, 2007
They're offended? So what. It's a game. Are they trying to accurately depict your magical being that has no proof of existance? No? Then cry harder, because this is the real world, and those characters have every right to be in this game because not only are they fictional, they're also not owned by anyone, so it's not a problem. Disagreeing with their right to put them in the game just makes you scum who wants to keep speech limited to what you want the ignorant to hear. Sounds familiar... oh yeah:
Andy Chalk said:
"Videogame makers should be more sensitive while handling faith related subjects, as these games left lasting impact on the minds of highly impressionable children, teens and other young people."
...and how is religion different? Have fun teaching young people to continue to be closed minded believers of something whose existance in stted in a book that is in no way different than a fairy tale so they act the way you want them to.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Woodsey said:
Arguably, but the Greek and Norse gods are certainly more exotic then Jesus. All the other religions included seem to be ones with pantheons of gods, as well.
All of the Norse and Greek gods also have a theme. Thor has thunder and his hammer. Ares is a paragon of War. The theme with Jesus is "hey, I'm the son of god...yeah, I got a robe and shit". I just can't see that as interesting.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
kortin said:
Woodsey said:
All of the Norse and Greek gods also have a theme. Thor has thunder and his hammer. Ares is a paragon of War. The theme with Jesus is "hey, I'm the son of god...yeah, I got a robe and shit". I just can't see that as interesting.
Had a brain-malfunction, thought you said 'That's why the other religions included don't interest me', might be why my reply looks a little weird.

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
To be fair to the Hindi's, they the only modern major religion who have deities in Smite, not sure if the asian ones are still worshipped, but for the love of god (no pun intended) just get over it, people stopped taking Kali seriously when Indianna Jones: Temple of Doom came out.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Far more likely is that we'll end up with PAX apparel covered in images of Kali sporting four dicks instead of four arms.
do iiiittt, do iiittt, doo ittt

>_>

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
Sleekit said:
Agow95 said:
people stopped taking Kali seriously when Indianna Jones: Temple of Doom came out.
that a hell of a claim to make given its the worlds third largest religion after Christianity and Islam and has over a billion practitioners.
I was joking, I wasn't saying Hindu's were a minority or anything, just pointing out that this isn't really the first time Hindu gods have been portrayed stupidly in games or films.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
What they really need to do is balance the books.

Make Jesus a playable character.

Not quite sure how that would work given his philosophy, but they should make it work.

As a Christian myself, I would love to see that and imagine The Man would get a kick out of it.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
They have the right to free speech and protest, just as the developers have the right to free expression and making the game the way they want.

Now if it were full of religious hate speech against Kali and her followers/believers then I would see a problem. But from what I have seen, they are not painting her in a negative light, if anything, this is the character I want to have a go at playing.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
It's all fun and games til it's your own faith being portrayed by an outsider. People need to focus more on themselves within their faiths and less on whether anyone else respects them. Hell, I'm a Christian, I know none of you respect that. And I don't care, I'm here to talk games and nerdy crap.

beefpelican

Apr 15, 2009
Agow95 said:
Sleekit said:
Agow95 said:
people stopped taking Kali seriously when Indianna Jones: Temple of Doom came out.
that a hell of a claim to make given its the worlds third largest religion after Christianity and Islam and has over a billion practitioners.
I was joking, I wasn't saying Hindu's were a minority or anything, just pointing out that this isn't really the first time Hindu gods have been portrayed stupidly in games or films.
Indeed. You can sacrifice maidens to Kali in spelunky (or pugs in the XBLA version). And Shiva has been a standard summon in just about every final fantasy game I can think of. To my knowledge they haven't provoked the same outrage.

I guess I can see the Hindu point of view on this one, though I certainly don't think the game should be shut down. Imagine if it wasn't a religious figure, but a very revered historical one, like Martin Luther King Jr. Having a mainstream game where he fights, kills, and gets killed by Rosa Parks or Mother Theresa would be in poor taste. It makes sense that if someone truly believes in a religion they would feel the same way about their gods.