Hindus Ask PAX To Drop Smite

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Yes, go to PAX for support. This couldn't possibly backfire in your faces. I'm just surprised these people are aware enough of the convention's existence to request the game to be kept out, but aren't knowledgeable enough about the people running it to know that's a bad idea. Ah well, whatever.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
They should play the game first, they might stop complaining when they realize that Kali is incredibly OP.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
wintercoat said:
RaikuFA said:
Wait till they see this, they'll flip their shit:

Pfft, that's nothing when you consider the fact that Shiva has been in almost every main series Final Fantasy and several of the spinoffs, and every single time he's a chick.
But that's in name only. This Shiva is more akin to the actual faith.

Theres also Vishnu, Ganesh, Parvati the list goes on.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Sleekit said:
The Plunk said:
I trust the Penny Arcade guys to stand up to these enemies of free speech.
still no characters from the Abrahamic religions i see.

why is that exactly ?..

oh yes...they are shitebags.

still /golfcalp in the name of "freedom of speech" eh ?..

especially when its quite clear they won't actually dare offend anyone who might actually be able to mess with them in return.

cowards.
I think the reason that there are no characters from Abrahamic religion is that the both Allah and Jahweh are so undefined. We don't know what they are, we don't know where they are, we don't know what they look like, wedon't know where they came from, we really know nothing about them. It's not like with Zeus or Shiva or Kali, where we do have a reasonably defined look and personality.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
You would think they would be interested in seeing this through as it would bring more interest to their beliefs which should be a good thing considering while they are a large religion, they are very concentrated in a very specific area.

personion

Dec 6, 2010
The question here is "Will PAX actually drop Smite because of this?"

The answer... they s'might.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAokay that sounded better in my head.

Seriously though, it's not like they started an angry protest against PAX, they're just politely asking for them to not include it. They'll probably include it anyway, but that's no reason to use this as a reason to hate all religions or anything.

Ithera

Apr 4, 2010
Who does Rajan Zed think he is? How dare he speak for gods and convey their "wishes"? Vishnu and friends are presumably adults and can fight their own fights and voice their own discontent.

If the Hindu gods disprove they can go to PAX and make an appeal in person.Or they could just slaughter everybody on the premises, that would get the message through.

Imthatguy

Sep 11, 2009
Silly people with their silly superstitions.

... I however strongly object to smite use of Odin! How dare they insult us pagans by not making Odin the kvltest blackest strongest character in SMITE!

Zyntoxic

May 9, 2011
I think the main reason that they might be offended is the fact that the gods of their very much alive and practiced religion is coupled up the gods of old, dead mythologies rather than actual modern day religions

list taken from their website:

Current List of Gods
Greek: Zeus, Hades, Arachne, Artemis
Norse: Odin, Ymir, Hel,
Chinese: Sun WuKong, He Bo, Ao Kuang
Eyptian: Anubis, Ra, Bastet, Sobek
Hindu: Kali, Vamana, Agni

http://hi-rez.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/459/~/smite-closed-beta-frequently-asked-questions

that is dangerously close to actually imply that their religion is actually just a mythology while Christianity, Islam and Judaism are real religions (they all have a god that have been depicted in several ways, and plenty of deity-like characters like the devil, demons and angels that could be well implemented but aren't)

I know they aren't actually saying that, but the implications are there.

just sayin'

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
I this still an thing? What the hell.

Ey. If I can take Jesus being a recuring character in South Park, thee guys can take Kali being in a game. Just saying.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Oh, what a shame, your god is a in a game and is a character beating other gods up. I'm sure if I looked hard enough I could find at least one game that essentially says my whole church is a corrupt evil empire and my god is either fictional, dead, and/or evil. Cry me a river, build me a bridge, and get over it.

Anyways, I support there trying to follow their ideals but I don't think they are going to get anywhere. Gamers don't give a shit.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Sleekit said:
The Plunk said:
I trust the Penny Arcade guys to stand up to these enemies of free speech.
still no characters from the Abrahamic religions i see.

why is that exactly ?..

oh yes...they are shitebags.

still /golfcalp in the name of "freedom of speech" eh ?..

especially when its quite clear they won't actually dare offend anyone who might actually be able to mess with them in return.

cowards.
An organization is nothing more than "Lots and lots of individuals", so you just contradicted yourself here. And people are allowed to have a say in what is or isn't approved for kickstarter? If you don't like it, don't fund it! It's not like anyone other than those interested in the product being developed are paying for anything. Kickstarter's just a communication medium and safety net for investors.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
samahain said:
Is it me or maybe, just maybe, some Hinduists are losing focus here.
I understand defending your beliefs, however they ought to understand that it is NOT their deity on screen. It's a character with a cool name.

I want to see Jesus in a fighting game. Why not??? Huh?
up+b is his special attack and he can regain all his health that he may have lost.

As a Christian, I wouldd buy that DLC

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Krantos said:
What they really need to do is balance the books.

Make Jesus a playable character.

Not quite sure how that would work given his philosophy, but they should make it work.

As a Christian myself, I would love to see that and imagine The Man would get a kick out of it.
Rather dying for your ideals than use violence does not exactly constitute a good video game protagonist in a fighting game.

Bors Mistral

Mar 27, 2009
I really wish it was a...
...multiplayer fighting game featuring gods from various pantheons going at each other in divine, one-on-one combat...
...but it's actually more of a 3rd person DotA clone.

Jun 23, 2008
I explained my position before [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.383274-Smite-Dev-Removes-Offensive-Goddess-From-Website?page=2#15157026], when the Universal Society of Hinduism was still negotiating, I guess. My position hasn't changed: This still seems more like a stink to put the USH on the map, and not really a gross offense to all Hindus everywhere.

False inclusion is a common tactic of extremist religious groups, and a common presumption of journalists who report on them: a radical Christian group denounces women's access to reproductive services and it's reported as if that group represents all of Christendom.[footnote]This is to say that when a Christian group states their position, say, implying that all Christians accept young-Earth creationism and reject evolutionary biology, it's a good thing to stand up for your church and state that those radicals over there don't speak for your denomination. Otherwise, we secularists start to wonder if Christians are just a generally cuckoo lot.[/footnote] Likewise, the USH is a small organization who's just been loud on this one issue, and to the detriment of the Hindu people at large.

It is notable that Hellenists were offended when Disney's hijacked-by-Jesus movie Hercules was released. And no one cared. It was even marketed in Greece so as to maximize offense.

If I were running a church, and my god was being improperly depicted in a game, I'd help the developers get it right. Is Kali really a blood drinking vampiress? I gathered she was more about destruction of the old in anticipation of renewal. But I'm not up on my Hindu mythology.

238U

Erlenmeyer Flask

Mar 6, 2012
I get the concerns these guys have, but... honestly, it is far too late to be complaining on the eve of the event. I have no doubt that it would be extraordinarily expensive to pull SMITE right now even if the Penny Arcade guys actually wanted to. They probably don't even have time to move the booth out of the room now.