Hints that you're getting older

Ulfrick

Oct 14, 2010
When you look back at your time in high school and want to invent a time machine just to go and kick your own ass in a dark alley somewhere and leave yourself bloody and beaten with a note stapled to your chest saying "Grow the fuck up, stop giving half a shit about what other people think and enjoy your self, these are your best years."

Also when you finally transcend that point of giving a shit about what other people think. Because then you can finally start picking and choosing who you spend your energy on.

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
When you realise that going to clubs is the shittiest idea in the world. As for house parties, those can stay.

Ulfrick

Oct 14, 2010
Broady Brio said:
When you realise that going to clubs is the shittiest idea in the world. As for house parties, those can stay.
When you realise that even house parties are over rated and limit yourself to pubs with good food/beer and music quiet enough to actually talk over :p

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
AvsJoe said:
Re-watching the films I loved as a kid reminds me of this every time. Also, as a kid I loved Linkin Park and the like, seeing their songs as soulful yet powerful. Now... well... I don't. I realize now that they are just another pop/rock band that is aimed at the teen demographic and isn't at all different than the crap that plays today. Once I loved their entire discography, now I can stand less than 5 of their songs and hate the rest.
I recently pulled an old CD by "Hell is for Heroes" out of the loft that I bought when i was in my early 20s (29 now) which at the time I also thought was one of the most powerful things I ever heard. I transferred the album onto my iphone for a quick listen. What seemed somewhat profound and emotional back then now just sounded whiny and a little immature for the most part.

Then there was the time where I was in a shop and was making my way down one of the aisles that was slightly clogged up with people (reading the magazines as opposed to paying for them, as you do) when I came up against some little kid blocking the way. There was no way through, so I just had to hover about until her mum turned around and told the kid to "let the man past". That's when I realised that I had reached the point where I now looked like a man - the dream was officially over. :p

The main thing is though when I go for a night out these days with the people from work, whereas I used to feel that the night was really just getting started come 11, nowadays I'm starting to think about heading up the road and checking the time to make sure I don't miss the last bus home.

Also, there are now "young people" at my work who are more or less just out of school and (the horror) weren't even alive at any point during the 80s! Unthinkable!

Other things, like becoming an uncle, or the fact that a good number of my friends around my age or younger are now married with a 2 or 3 kids, some of which have probably already started school. Scary.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
lRookiel said:
The world is fucked and all they do is party non stop, curse constantly and continue to become inevitable failures.
Every generation in history said this about a younger generation at some point.

Insobriety

Jun 1, 2011
I'm only 23 and I have noticed recently that I tend to put my hands on my knees for support when I sit down or get up, and upon standing up it takes me at least 5 seconds of walking to come to a fully upright position - I hope thats normal.

NinjaDuckie

Sep 9, 2009
lRookiel said:
Melon Hunter said:
Eh, that's nothing. Only when you slide entirely to Radio 4 is the circle complete. As for myself, I don't really have too much to say, being a bit too young to comment on this, but I must admit, I already catch myself thinking of kids younger than myself being far more uncouth and uncivilised than when my peers and I were that age. Gosh, what's the world coming to?
Correct! it is radio 4 that makes you officially old, and on the youths of the current generation, well there's no hope for them to be honest.... The world is fucked and all they do is party non stop, curse constantly and continue to become inevitable failures.

As for me, I'm 18 and still quite spritely so I dont really have anything to say other than I know life will just continue to get worse for all of us -_-

...I listened to Radio 4 when I was 14. .______.

Currently, though. I'm 20, third year of my degree, and finding it harder to stay up late or pull all-nighters (Arkham City was the exception), and much easier to actually just get on with my coursework. Also, lolcats no longer amuses me.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I'm 22

No longer want to have sex all the time . ( iv'e decline a couple of time , it would have never happened before i was 20)
I care what women have to say . ( not proud of this one but i was macho as a teen)
I can no longer go outside in sub zero tempatures without dressing up like a bear ( i live in quebec)
I consider FF3 ( US number) the pinnacle of rpg games.
I own a original copy of Finalfantasy and mystic quest

And the biggest one is my perception of time. As a child i saw time in hours ( 24 hours was a long time ) , in highschool it was in days( a week was a long time ), in college it was in weeks ( a months was a long time ), now i perceive time in months and a year for me is a long time . When i start seeing time in years , then i will now i am truely old.

Forgetitnow344

Jan 8, 2010
I'm 20 now, and I've been looking forward to the return of Beavis and Butthead for a long time, and I've finally gotten it. Now, the cartoon shorts were hilarious and you can find them anywhere... But the music video segments were GOLD. I loved those SO much. The new BBH cartoons are as good as they've ever been, but the music videos... Well, MTV segments is what you can call them. Half the time they're Jersey Shore or Teen Mom or something. For someone like me (with a triple-digit IQ), this is stupid as all hell. You can even tell Mike Judge didn't want to do it. They aren't funny and they reference a part of pop culture that is beyond asinine. Beavis and Butthead themselves sound totally bored with it, and the only time they remind me of the classic stuff is when the music videos come on. The MGMT video for "Kids" really felt like the old days.

Maybe I'm weird, but I don't look forward to spending my 20s in this decade.

Daffy F

Apr 17, 2009
After reading Danny Wallace's 'Friends like these' book, I am now more worried about growing up than ever before. Fortunately I'm still well under 20, so I don't have to worry about that at all yet.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Aside from a problem with my knee (not caused by age, but rather walking into a stepstool the wrong way at work a few years ago), I'm not much different now at 35 than I was at 20. Of course, that's less "I'm doing pretty good at 35" and more "I wasn't doing all that good at 20".

[small]I even look pretty much the same. Kinda scary.[/small]

HyRock

Jun 14, 2010
Ok.. I'm 23.. So not that old.. I have a GF who's 33 and thats not so old either.. She has two kids. A son 15 and a daughter 9 the both live with us.. I just recently bought an apartment (that I have to pay for 18 years) & now we have a 3 months oled daugter of our own.. And none of that makes me feel old.. Just cause I refuse to let the kid in me die (And thats why i get along so good with my stepson)

But one day we were @ my grandma's place and we talked about something and I said.. "umm.. yeah but that was 'bout 15 years ago" And Then I realized that, I don't want to B taht old that I couldsay "15 years ago"

Ouyeah It's 01.31 here and I'we had a long day @ work.. S I have no idea if my txt makes any sense to anybody @ all..

Xeldrak

Feb 8, 2011
Sometimes I leave the house without my cellphone or I just forget to load its battery.
When I tell this to younger people, their eye go wide and they ask "But how can I reach you if I have to talk to you?".

My first instinct is to tell them "Well, you can't. Remember a time, when you had to be actually at home to be called?" But then I realize, that they dont remember such a time :(

winginson

Mar 27, 2011
Sometimes my knee or thumbs randomly hurt.
I wake up from heavy drinking with bad circualtion in my legs making them feel cold.
Hitting up cherished books/films/games fromm your teens and realising they suck.
Being in a pub and thinking everyone there is under-age when they are actually 20.
People assuming you have kids/wife/SO.
I tend take dates from around the mid to late-90s so I tend to think of the 80s as about 15 years ago rather than 30
I am doing an HNC for work at college and some kids don't know what a floppy disk, VHS, CRT, casette tape, radio, dial-up and many other things are.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
Spy Killer said:
I first realized I was becoming an adult when the judge told me "Were trying you as an adult"
:p Nice Simpsons reference, Kerney.

OT:

Ehh... Still 17 and very immature.

Hopefully the revelation won't be as shocking as it is for most of you.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
I realized earlier that if the Rugrats were real people, Tommy would be 21-22 years old.
I feel so old.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
22, and add one more poor soul to the hellish hangovers and "crucial eight" pile.

Xeldrak

Feb 8, 2011
Radeonx said:
I realized earlier that if the Rugrats were real people, Tommy would be 21-22 years old.
I feel so old.
So he would still be a few years younger than Maggie Simpson...