Hipsters? In my nerdery?

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Something Amyss said:
DementedSheep said:
I can't actually recall an instance of someone wearing a video game themed thing while knowing nothing about it in RL, I've only seen that done with comics.
In fairness, if I saw a video game shirt that looked cool, I'd probably wear it whether I liked the franchise or not. I'm not even sure that should be an issue. A T-shirt is not a binding contract. So what if someone just likes the Triforce logo or whatever? People get freaking tattoos of Chinese characters or "celtic" designs because they "look cool."

And I still have trouble seeing the issue.
That too, there is nothing wrong with wearing something because you happen to like the design on it or having something like a pokemon on your keychain because it cute. It doesn't mean you are trying pass yourself off as fan. The worse thing that's going happen if someone wears a T-Shirt of a work you're fan of without actually being into it is that you try and strike up conversation about it and it goes nowhere. That SHOULDN'T be an issue.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Mazinger-Z said:
The real clash with hipsters and nerds comes from the fact that yes, hipsters in their attempts to seem niche, will latch onto the surface of nerd culture. The conflict comes from this new audience influencing or changing existing media to suit their own tastes, which kind of flies in the face of the nerd culture that it survived on before becoming mainstream.
This is a weird statement considering all of your following examples have nothing to do with hipsters, the examples you give would only apply to hipsters if you lump the mainstream casual crowd under the label, which is almost the opposite of what we consider to be a hipster. Even your Batman example isn't being pushed by hipsters.

And we've seen that in history. The bright, colorful superhero genre basically murdered the more adult, pulp comics. D&D's seen a lot of changes in response to the rise of MMOs (I haven't played 6e yet, but 5e was an attempt to streamline the game so it was like an MMO).
Comics moving to a more pulpy darker format has shit all to do with hipsters. The direction of comics in the 90's was pushed by comics moving into a sales frenzy pushed by big events, and speculators creating an artificial sales boom. It was a combination of the huge popularity of books like Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns, and the business men of the time seeing big events and shocking announcements selling more comics as something to push more and more of.

Movie wise, it was the mainstream popularity of Batman that pushed the gritty superhero films until Marvel came along and injected some fun into the mix and made money off of it. This again, has nothing to do with hipsters, it was the mainstream audience driving the change, with corporate suits attempting to follow the money and success of Batman.

Which brings me to your last example, which again, has shit all to do with hipsters unless you think the popularity of MMO's was driven by hipsters which is ridiculous on its face. D&D aped MMO's because the MMO audience is shit tons larger and more profitable than the tabletop market. It was a dumb decision, but again, it was driven by a company trying to chase mainstream sensibilities, pretty much the opposite of what a hipster supposedly is.

So two examples in, and all you've shown is that corporations will change stuff to try and chase larger markets, it can certainly suck, if it's any consolation, I think D&D is stepping back a bit from its streamlining, but again, nothing to do with hipsters, you just sound like your complaining about stuff changing in ways you don't like for any reason.

You see it right now with things like the animation production of The Killing Joke, where people who probably never read the original work (whether because they couldn't be bothered or because 'muh trigger warning') want to remove the part where Barbara is shot and then victimized, which was all meant home both the viciousness of the Joker and how far he was willing to push James Gordon, who was his real target.
Great, this again, is not really driven by hipsters, feminist critics coming in to complain about something does not suddenly make them hipsters just because they are complaining about something that they haven't followed as closely as you deem "acceptable" to then critique it.

Of course, there are Batman, Batgirl, and even Alan Moore fans that thought what the story did to Barbara Gordon was dumb. I read the killing joke about 2 years after its release in 1988, and I've read Batman comics for years, I also like the Killing Joke, and Alan Moore, but you know what? What happened to Barbara Gordon was bullshit, she got fridged, and I agree with gail Simones critique of the situation, she was a superhero that basically got warfed, it was a bullshit way to take out a semi-popular heroine at the time, she was only saved retroactively by a different writer that managed to salvage her character into the well-done Oracle persona.

This complaint just sounds like you trying to rationalize people that don't like a certain aspect of something as not being big enough fans for your taste, so you label them as hipsters or outsiders to make them easier to dismiss.

That the work may be altered to satisfy an audience that doesn't care about the source material is galling to the fans who supported the original work and made it an iconic, memorable piece of the Batman mythos. And yes, that does matter, because otherwise "I'm the Goddamned Batman" All Star Batman & Robin would also be considered iconic, as opposed to just sad.
Welcome to business, it sucks, but it happens, this has nothing to do with hipsters, you seem to just be setting an arbitrary limit for how much someone has to be a fan of something before their allowed to complain about it.

Your examples aren't about hipsters, you seem to be complaining about mainstream and casual fans, with a dose of fear of outsiders coming to change your favorite properties. I'm sure not many hipsters give much of a shit about one of the most iconic comic book stories in the industry, most people I've met that would qualify for the hipster label tend to think DC and Marvel are too corporate or mainstream, usually with a slew of recommendations for obscure third party comics they may or may not have actually read.

Look, I can sympathize to an extent, as someone that enjoys tabletop games, MMO's, and FPS arena shooters, I've experienced more than a few things I love making lame changes trying to chase the WoW or Call of Duty cash cows. These things are not really stoppable though, you and I just have to deal with the fact that the things we like are niche, and businessmen have a tendency to try and chase mainstream trends. Not really a problem with hipsters though, its one of the main things hipsters complain about actually, they tend to hate anything they view as the "mainstream" coming in and attaching itself to the things they like.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
To be honest, there's so much hub-bub going on with the whole nerd thing that, like gamer, I dropped the title out of disgust. To be honest for everyone hating hipsters, nerds and gamers had a tendency to really act like them. With the whole taking pride in how underground their hobbies were, getting pissed when other people got to enjoy it, acting superior, and giving people the run down if they're "real" whatever. Different name, same animal. I still haven't forgotten the backlash against casual gamers. I haven't forgotten the mess with fake gamer girls. Nerds and hipsters...same thing really. People who try to make themselves out as unique and special when they really aren't.

Oh, and can someone tell me what the point of labels is? It just makes life feel like a very badly written novel trying to emulate George R.R. Martin by giving everything an important sounding name.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
See, I'm avoiding this mess the easy/hard way.

I don't watch, like, ANY "nerdy" TV or anime or movies, and don't even play games like I used to. Yet, because I have a portable hard drive with Arch Linux installed on it which I happily use to take over other computers, everyone continues to call me an ubernerd.

I get to keep my nerd cred without being annoying. :D

Timmibal

Nov 8, 2010
erttheking said:
To be honest, there's so much hub-bub going on with the whole nerd thing that, like gamer, I dropped the title out of disgust. To be honest for everyone hating hipsters, nerds and gamers had a tendency to really act like them. With the whole taking pride in how underground their hobbies were, getting pissed when other people got to enjoy it, acting superior, and giving people the run down if they're "real" whatever. Different name, same animal. I still haven't forgotten the backlash against casual gamers. I haven't forgotten the mess with fake gamer girls. Nerds and hipsters...same thing really. People who try to make themselves out as unique and special when they really aren't.
As so many people above have pointed out, I can't speak for everyone, but for myself, I was resentful when 'Geek Chic' started becoming a thing. Why? Because I fucking bled for it. I was the one whose locker was doused in human waste. I was the one who was driven along the street like a calf at a rodeo by other kids throwing rocks and wielding sticks, for no better reason than I was different and had different interests.

Was I alone in this? Hell no. Kids are fucking evil little goblins and I'm sure there were a dozen participants in my hazing who were so happy it wasn't them for once. Lord knows I turned enough blind eyes just glad not to be a target for once. Cowardly? Absolutely. I hate myself for not standing up for them. But at that time I thought it was survival.

As you grow, you develop hindsight, you start to realize these things, you mature, you forgive.

But damn me if I didn't fume the first time I saw a good looking young person walking confidently in the middle of the street wearing a Mario shirt. How DARED he? How could he stand tall, where I was forced to cower? How dare he be confident, when I was made to hate my very existence? How dare he have friends, when proximity to me was seen as some kind of creeping infection?

Childish? Yes. I have NO right to judge this person. These things don't belong to me, any more than they belong exclusively to any other person who has enjoyed them at any part of their life. I have no right to restrict others from enjoying them.

The resentment was understandable though, 'It's a free ride when you've already paid.' to quote Ms Morrisette. Understandable though, does not mean justified. If there's one piece of advice I can give to the 'THE PRECIOUS IS OURS' crowd, it's this. Let go of the resentment. You'll feel much better, and dudebros can be fun, generous people now they've discovered that other people are actually human too. :)

Oh, and can someone tell me what the point of labels is? It just makes life feel like a very badly written novel trying to emulate George R.R. Martin by giving everything an important sounding name.
The human mind can't grok the complexity that is humanity so we compartmentalize each other for simplicity's sake. :)

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Mazinger-Z said:
Hipsters watch Game of Thrones. Nerds read A Song of Ice and Fire before it was on TV and nitpick at the changes done to make it more palatable for a non-literary audience. I read it a few years before the TV show was announced. A friend had recommended it to me back in like... 2000. I had never gotten around to it.
Oh damn, guess I'm a hipster. I read the books after watching the first season of the show. Oh well, I still nitpick.

Mazinger-Z said:
These aren't necessarily hard and fast rules, but the hipsters lack the bit that powers the likes of PCMR, the LARPers of White Wolf Games, the Boffers, the Warhammer players and the game completionists.
Hipster is the new Casual now?
Mazinger-Z said:
The real clash with hipsters and nerds comes from the fact that yes, hipsters in their attempts to seem niche, will latch onto the surface of nerd culture. The conflict comes from this new audience influencing or changing existing media to suit their own tastes, which kind of flies in the face of the nerd culture that it survived on before becoming mainstream.
Nerd culture's been pretty mainstream for some time now, though.

Mazinger-Z said:
And we've seen that in history. The bright, colorful superhero genre basically murdered the more adult, pulp comics. D&D's seen a lot of changes in response to the rise of MMOs (I haven't played 6e yet, but 5e was an attempt to streamline the game so it was like an MMO).

You see it right now with things like the animation production of The Killing Joke, where people who probably never read the original work (whether because they couldn't be bothered or because 'muh trigger warning') want to remove the part where Barbara is shot and then victimized, which was all meant home both the viciousness of the Joker and how far he was willing to push James Gordon, who was his real target.

Frankly, a lot of fans are excited for this production because despite saying he was done, Mark Hamill is returning to voice the Joker for it and Kevin Conroy (Batman: TAS, New Adventures of Batman & Robin, Justice League, etc) has expressed interest in doing it.

That the work may be altered to satisfy an audience that doesn't care about the source material is galling to the fans who supported the original work and made it an iconic, memorable piece of the Batman mythos. And yes, that does matter, because otherwise "I'm the Goddamned Batman" All Star Batman & Robin would also be considered iconic, as opposed to just sad.
And this just reads like a `Well I like it so much better and liked it first and they RUIN IT`- which to me is the essence of hipsterism.
Who gives a hairy fuck.
I don't know- I've never felt threatened by anyone else liking a thing I like, so I don't think I'll ever understand it.
I'm always happy when I meet someone who likes the things I like, even if they don't like it in the same way as me or with the same (ugh) `depth`.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Timmibal said:
As someone who had a very socially awkward childhood and mainly hid in video games...I never freaking got the resentment to them becoming popular. In fact, where they ever that niche? My dad was a part of the basketball team when he was young and he still shilled out for anything Atari released. I just have a hard time wrapping my head around it. Call me crazy, but I think a lot of us were just socially awkward and that made us the targets of being picked on. And we ended up saying it was because of our interests instead of us just being easy targets. I think that's why so many people have become so attached to the term nerd, it's basically what black people do with ******. And frankly this isn't a hill I'm willing to die on. Gaming is a hobby I love, but it isn't my life.

I think some people just can't let go of the past...

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
I have always thought "nerd" was just a derogatory slur for smart people. I never associated that word with anybody who likes videogames, comic books, or anime. I define "hipsters" as people who insist on random stuff being cool. For example: bacon, PBR beer, mustaches, trucker hats, etc.

I get really annoyed with music hipsters. They tend pick the most bland, boring, and mostly unlistenable bands and insist that they are the "greatest band ever".

I just like what I like. I don't care if it's popular or not. Also, if it's "cool" or not.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
If someone wants to label me, go for it.
I know what/who I am and what I like and when I've done it and for how long I will (that last part was a bit weird wasn't it, like I could see the future or something).
I don't really care is what I'm trying to say :p

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
I don't really care either way to be honest. If people wanna be "nerds" or whatever the hell that actually means, then good on them, let them be who they want to be. People want to wear fake glasses? let them be, let them do what they want. However, I will say this. If I see someone wearing something that alludes to a thing I enjoy too, and I talk to that person about it, and then send me away and don't want to talk to me about that thing because they say they know nothing about it, then I will think a bit less of them. Which has sadly happened to me before. One of my closest friends got a Rolling Stones T-shirt. So I talked to her about them, what songs she liked and things like that. Turns out she had not heard any of their songs. That would have been fair enough, but she got really awkward about it all, then got angry at me for asking her the questions then said she doesn't want to talk about it again. She never wore the t-shirt again after that.

Timmibal

Nov 8, 2010
frankly this isn't a hill I'm willing to die on.
Oh shit son, me either. I was just saying I get the resentment, because I felt it once upon a time myself.

I think some people just can't let go of the past...
Agreed. And it's a shame because it really does hold folks nack from so much.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
RaikuFA said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
Likewise, I've only very recently been introduced to the board game scene at my local comic book shop, I was not shunned for my lack of knowledge in everything board game related, they welcomed me with open arms and were more than happy to explain how to play.
Lucky you. My experience with tabletops was nothing but misery.
I have played with the idea that my local comic shop might be more accepting than some others, quite a few of the regulars are married and even bring their children early in the evening. The stereotype of the exclusionary, non-social gatekeeper just isn't there. The only thing I have to go on is my local experience, so I can't speak for the experience of others. I have encountered gatekeepers before and it was less than pleasant, but those were rare and individual, I can't imagine what a nest of them would be like.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Eclipse Dragon said:
I have played with the idea that my local comic shop might be more accepting than some others, quite a few of the regulars are married and even bring their children early in the evening. The stereotype of the exclusionary, non-social gatekeeper just isn't there. The only thing I have to go on is my local experience, so I can't speak for the experience of others. I have encountered gatekeepers before and it was less than pleasant, but those were rare and individual, I can't imagine what a nest of them would be like.
My experience varied even within the same stores. I probably wouldn't have got into M:tG if not for people at the FLGS, since I didn't know anyone. The folks I tried playing D&D with, on the other hand, well...I'm surprised their faces go so unpunched. Not advocating violence for the record, just that punching people seems to be the common response, so....

I didn't touch D&D for like a decade after a series of bad experiences (you didn't memorise all the rulebooks and source material overnight? Pleb). The crowd I met playing White Wolf products, however, were pretty decent.

There are nerds who love to share their hobbies. There are nerds that want to guard their hobbies. I much prefer the former. Unfortunately, there are a lot of the latter.

Mazinger-Z

Aug 3, 2011
Phasmal said:
And this just reads like a `Well I like it so much better and liked it first and they RUIN IT`- which to me is the essence of hipsterism.
No, hipsterism is that plus the addendum 'by everybody liking it and look what a special snowflake it made me for liking it first.' Which I, and other nerds, could give a flying fuck about.

If everyone likes the Killing Joke, that's fine. However, if they think the Killing Joke needs to be edited for objectionable material, that's another story.

Nerds don't like something because it's not mainstream. That's hipsterism. Nerds love something in spite of the fact that it's not mainstream.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Misericorde said:
Guffe said:
If someone wants to label me, go for it.
I know what/who I am and what I like and when I've done it and for how long I will (that last part was a bit weird wasn't it, like I could see the future or something).
I don't really care is what I'm trying to say :p
If you truly didn't care, would you be announcing how much you don't care?
Yeah I think I would, I usually speak my mind :D
I can see were you're coming from also, but I don't walk around announcing how much I usually care/don't care. If someone asks, I answer, and now there was a thread about hipsters and labels and whatnots and I decided to throw in my 5 cents.