Historic periods you'd like to see more in video games

Akjosch

New member
Sep 12, 2014
155
0
0
Islandbuffilo said:
10th century Ghana.
I'd say sub-Saharan Africa in general needs more love. Even when it's some relatively modern setting. Running around as a member of the Ashanti Empire and beating up the Brits [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Ashanti_wars]? Sign me up, please!
 

Albino Boo

New member
Jun 14, 2010
4,667
0
0
Soviet Heavy said:
Early years of World War 2, where the allies were on the back foot and resorted to commando raiding. Video games would have you believe that the War didn't exist before JUNE 6TH 1944.
I strongly suggest that you look up some history. The Invasion of France in 1940 the Germans launched 2500 tanks. The North African campaign was an all motorized/mechanized affair and the 1941 German invasion of Russia constituted of 4000 German tanks versus 20,000 Russian tanks.
 

Megalodon

New member
May 14, 2010
781
0
0
albino boo said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Early years of World War 2, where the allies were on the back foot and resorted to commando raiding. Video games would have you believe that the War didn't exist before JUNE 6TH 1944.
I strongly suggest that you look up some history. The Invasion of France in 1940 the Germans launched 2500 tanks. The North African campaign was an all motorized/mechanized affair and the 1941 German invasion of Russia constituted of 4000 German tanks versus 20,000 Russian tanks.
I'm sorry but what are you talking about? Soviet Heavy mentioned nothing about mechanisation or tank numbers in his post. Merely that the majority of WW2 games seem to focus on the Western Front following D-Day, and that he'd like to see some which covered the earlier events of the war.
 

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Apr 5, 2020
753
147
48
down a well
Country
Northumbria
Gender
Lad
I'd like to see the period of wars between Catholic Europe and the Ottoman Empire. Pirates, knights, and Vlad the Impaler.
 

Tilly

New member
Mar 8, 2015
264
0
0
It's a great question that not enough developers ask themselves. I think what we can all agree on is that medieval europe-type fantasy and dystopian future have both been ridiculously overused.
Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a JRPG styled game set in the european landed gentry. Jane Austen type thing. Mix that up with some crazy Japanese stuff and it could be interesting.
 

Albino Boo

New member
Jun 14, 2010
4,667
0
0
Megalodon said:
albino boo said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Early years of World War 2, where the allies were on the back foot and resorted to commando raiding. Video games would have you believe that the War didn't exist before JUNE 6TH 1944.
I strongly suggest that you look up some history. The Invasion of France in 1940 the Germans launched 2500 tanks. The North African campaign was an all motorized/mechanized affair and the 1941 German invasion of Russia constituted of 4000 German tanks versus 20,000 Russian tanks.
I'm sorry but what are you talking about? Soviet Heavy mentioned nothing about mechanisation or tank numbers in his post. Merely that the majority of WW2 games seem to focus on the Western Front following D-Day, and that he'd like to see some which covered the earlier events of the war.
Please try and read
where the allies were on the back foot and resorted to commando raiding.
The raids by both the LRDG and the SAS in north africa were small beer compared to to El Alamein, Battle Axe and Gazzala. The British used commando raids to tie down German and Italian troops in disportanet numbers to the the British troops involved. Where the campaign was won and lost was in large scale armoured operations and the logistical effort to support them. Commando raids were nothing more than a distraction.
 

Islandbuffilo

New member
Apr 16, 2011
152
0
0
Akjosch said:
Islandbuffilo said:
10th century Ghana.
I'd say sub-Saharan Africa in general needs more love. Even when it's some relatively modern setting. Running around as a member of the Ashanti Empire and beating up the Brits [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Ashanti_wars]? Sign me up, please!
I think African mythology is really underrated, and that a shame because a lot of it is very unique. I'd really like to play a game like Hoard, where you play as a Sassabonsam [http://cryptidz.wikia.com/wiki/Sassabonsam], that's more focused on stealth and trickery.

Tilly said:
It's a great question that not enough developers ask themselves. I think what we can all agree on is that medieval europe-type fantasy and dystopian future have both been ridiculously overused.
Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a JRPG styled game set in the european landed gentry. Jane Austen type thing. Mix that up with some crazy Japanese stuff and it could be interesting.
I'd really like to see a JRPG based on African mythology. Now that would be something.
 

Vorlayn

New member
Jun 3, 2010
90
0
0
Maybe an RPG set in the Aboriginal Dreamtime. You have mysticism, very little technology (Finally, no plate armor crap) and something very very unique.
 

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
2,581
0
0
Redryhno said:
Diablo2000 said:
Ancient China needs more love... Been playing Jade Empire (Been in a quite Bioware run lately) and I would love to see something like that again. Bioware, sequel? Please?
Maybe this time make it feel more like Ancient China rather than Chinatown because everyone seems to speak perfect english, except those who speak the ancient "Gibberish in order to save space of audio file" tongue.
Yeah, I've been wanting more Jade Empire for years. Such a shame that they just stopped after one game though. Morality system-wise, I think it had to be one of their better attempts along with ME1, since not every Closed Fist guy was a dirtbag, and there were a few Open Palmers you wanted to kick down a well.

In fact, I'll second Ancient China, and add onto it by saying we need more games based in Fantastical Asia that aren't an add-on to the Fantastical Europe main game.
"Open Palmers"...

Now all I've got in mind is a line of Robert Palmer clones singing about how open they are to commitment...

Honestly, I'd like to see more of Ancient Egypt. And please - not through Serious Sam's crosshairs. I used to read a few books by a dude named Mika Waltari, a while back. He'd essentially imagined a Sherlock Holmes-esque character operating before, during and after Akhenaten's reign, who'd travel outside of Egypt gathering intel on the Hittites for the pharaoh.

So... L.A. Noire, Thebes and Babylon Edition?
 

Megalodon

New member
May 14, 2010
781
0
0
albino boo said:
Please try and read
Please try and be less patronising.
where the allies were on the back foot and resorted to commando raiding.
The raids by both the LRDG and the SAS in north africa were small beer compared to to El Alamein, Battle Axe and Gazzala. The British used commando raids to tie down German and Italian troops in disportanet numbers to the the British troops involved. Where the campaign was won and lost was in large scale armoured operations and the logistical effort to support them. Commando raids were nothing more than a distraction.
While they did conduct similar raiding actions, neither the LRDG or the SAS were Commando units (hence the lack of 'commando' in their unit names). The Commandos were established in 1940 in England (unlike the LRDG, who were founded in Egypt, and the SAS which was established the following year), following the fall of France ('where the Allies were on the back foot') to facilitate some offensive actions against the Germans for both military and morale reasons. However, while absolute impact is harder to determine than decisive battles, saying the commandos were 'nothing more than a distraction' is doing them a disservice thanks to events such as the raid on St Nazaire, which helped keep the Tirpitz out of the Atlantic, thus contributing to keeping Britain supplied and in the war.

This however is somewhat besides the point however, as the initial post made no mention of the military relevance of commando raids, only that the Allies utilised them in the wake of the Axis success in the early years of the war. Which is true. So I ask again, what is the relevance of tank numbers in the fall of France and Operation Barbarossa or the mechanisation of the 8th Army/Afrika Corps to Soviet Heavy's statement?
 

Unspoken_Request

New member
Jul 11, 2013
34
0
0
- The Mexican Revolution

- Arabic expansion (7th-11th century).

- Spanish Reconquista

- The 30 years war (1618-1648)

- Chinese Han Dynasty

- The 7 years war, but not only the portion in North America; this was a global war between two global empires
 

Tilly

New member
Mar 8, 2015
264
0
0
Islandbuffilo said:
I'd really like to see a JRPG based on African mythology. Now that would be something.
I'm afraid with the exception of ancient Egypt, I know sod-all about African mythology so you'll have to elaborate on that!
 

Tilly

New member
Mar 8, 2015
264
0
0
Unspoken_Request said:
- Arabic expansion (7th-11th century).
I bet people will be jumping at the chance to depict that one in video game form.
 

Fieldy409_v1legacy

New member
Oct 9, 2008
2,686
0
0
Expeditions: Conquistador is a great game where you play the second party of spaniards ever to set foot in Mexico, that period is fascinating(though controversial) and the culture of Spain meeting the various cultures of Mexico is really interesting too!
 

Shoggoth2588

New member
Aug 31, 2009
10,250
0
0
beastro said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
...back on topic though: I can't recall any games that are about Dark Ages naval combat.
-snip-
And with that I pull my idea. There are thousands upon thousands of years of human history that I just don't know about but I appreciate the unexpected history lesson.

Diablo2000 said:
Ancient China needs more love... Been playing Jade Empire (Been in a quite Bioware run lately) and I would love to see something like that again. Bioware, sequel? Please?
Maybe this time make it feel more like Ancient China rather than Chinatown because everyone seems to speak perfect english, except those who speak the ancient "Gibberish in order to save space of audio file" tongue.
I'd like to see another take on the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. It's been Dynasty Warriors and it's been an RTS but I'm sure there's more that can be done with it.
 

Soviet Heavy

New member
Jan 22, 2010
12,218
0
0
albino boo said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Early years of World War 2, where the allies were on the back foot and resorted to commando raiding. Video games would have you believe that the War didn't exist before JUNE 6TH 1944.
I strongly suggest that you look up some history. The Invasion of France in 1940 the Germans launched 2500 tanks. The North African campaign was an all motorized/mechanized affair and the 1941 German invasion of Russia constituted of 4000 German tanks versus 20,000 Russian tanks.
How many World War 2 games have you seen that focus on the commando operations in France or Norway? I am aware that there are several games that do deal with conflicts as early as 1940, and we have seen El Alamein and Barbarossa. I don't see why you're being so hostile, I'd like to see some less orthodox WW2 games is all. A game based around the spy war in Sweden over control of ball bearings exports would be damn cool.
 

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
3,647
0
0
1920s China ... Communists, Nationalists ... maybe as a communist survivor of the purges by Chiang Kai-Shek in 1927. I doubt it would actually ever become a game, especialy since the Gang of Four era and the rise of Deng Xiaoping the Chinese government has tried distance themselves as far as possible from Mao Zedong.
 

K12

New member
Dec 28, 2012
943
0
0
I've never been able to play as a cave man in a game. That must change!