Historic periods you'd like to see more in video games

lordmardok

Mar 25, 2010
World War I. Holy shit why hasn't this incredible and brutal period of history been explored more than it has? This was literally the final hurrah of the ancient historical kingdoms. It was the death of monarchy and the rise of the world superpowers. This is such an important freaking period of history.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
games set in the Caribbean during the Elizabethan Era, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, etc. all of those places seemed perfect for drunken adventures and pirate battles add a touch of fantasy (Kraken, ghost ships, Davey Jones, etc.) dammit why can't this game exist already! Black Flag came close but missed the mark, I want a Shadows of Mordor style game set in this area (better combat, nemesis system, etc.) Can you imagine having 3 different nemesis systems one for the English, one for the Spanish, and one for pirates

also we need more games set during the Romance of the Three Kingdoms China that aren't Dynasty Warriors

Islandbuffilo

Apr 16, 2011
Tilly said:
Islandbuffilo said:
I'd really like to see a JRPG based on African mythology. Now that would be something.
I'm afraid with the exception of ancient Egypt, I know sod-all about African mythology so you'll have to elaborate on that!
The long and short of it, lots of very strange bizarre creatures, lots of ritualism, lots of cows, and lots of snakes. I've seen a few monsters from African mythology pop up in some jrpgs. I mainly want to see a game in the style of Ni No Kuni, based on southern African myths, were the main characters are Abatwa(a race of faires similar to the borrowers from secret of Arriety).

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
Arean said:
While this is a game already in the works, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, and their historically correct presentation of medieval Bohemia looks incredibly interesting. It's a weird place to be when Fantasy has become so prevalent that when I see the announcement "This game will feature no magic or supernatural elements", it actually piques my interest.

Other than that, I think ancient Asia (especially Japan and China) have a lot of interesting and unique cultural history which would have been a joy to see more of if people are considering historical games.
Wasn't that the game some people called racist because it didn't have people of color in it? I hate to bring that arguemet in but I think that is something to keep in mind. I mean a game set in the Jim Crow South(When blacks were't slaves but had little rights anyway) how do you not include stuff like the n-word and racial hate? This is probably a different topic entirely though.

On topic I'd like to see more games in South America. It gets overlooked by basically everyone which is a bit of a shame.

Tilly

Mar 8, 2015
Islandbuffilo said:
Tilly said:
The long and short of it, lots of very strange bizarre creatures, lots of ritualism, lots of cows, and lots of snakes. I've seen a few monsters from African mythology pop up in some jrpgs. I mainly want to see a game in the style of Ni No Kuni, based on southern African myths, were the main characters are Abatwa(a race of faires similar to the borrowers from secret of Arriety).
The only examples I can think of that went for anything like a tribal African setting (although not African) were FF12 with that village of masked guys (can't remember the name) and the RPG Sudeki (PC/Xbox)

Islandbuffilo

Apr 16, 2011
Tilly said:
Islandbuffilo said:
Tilly said:
The only examples I can think of that went for anything like a tribal African setting (although not African) were FF12 with that village of masked guys (can't remember the name) and the RPG Sudeki (PC/Xbox)
Its not so much the people themselves, just the monsters, and some of the more familiar ones, (even then they made their appearance a bit more generic looking.)
I think final fantasy 10(?) had a plant monster based on an African tree monster, and Folklore, had bat monster based, on the Asiman or Adze.

Arean

Windwalker of Shaundakul
Apr 24, 2008
MerlinCross said:
Arean said:
Wasn't that the game some people called racist because it didn't have people of color in it? I hate to bring that arguemet in but I think that is something to keep in mind. I mean a game set in the Jim Crow South(When blacks were't slaves but had little rights anyway) how do you not include stuff like the n-word and racial hate? This is probably a different topic entirely though.

On topic I'd like to see more games in South America. It gets overlooked by basically everyone which is a bit of a shame.
Correct. The game has been attacked for supposedly being both racist and sexist.

Both of these stem from Warhorse's dedication to Historical Accuracy. KC:D is supposed to be populated by exclusively slavic people, who would've been the extreme majority of the people living in 14th century Bohemia, while some Tumblr blogger claimed that it could feature Moorish characters (an african demographic who were active around the mediteranian sea in the period). This was picked up on by Kotaku, and there was a whole big kerfuffle. It's worth noting that Warhorse's Daniel Vavra has stated multiple times that they are working with some of the best Historians in the Czech Republic to make the game as accurate as possible.

Then there was an entirely new controversy when making a Female Playable character a crowdfunding stretch goal. Lot's of people felt that it should be in the base game, while Vavra explained that adding a Female PC would require them to do a rather large separate story/quest line, in order to keep their vision intact.

fezzthemonk

Jun 27, 2009
I will forever be a spokesman for the Assassins Creed set in the american industrial revolution, as that would be a great setting for that game.

But I always thought it would be cool to have a game set in Babylon/Mesopotamia.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
I'd like to see lots more games set in Ancient Egypt, and based on Egyptian mythology.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
I would love a game set in World War One. Not a shooter game, but moreso a story. A story about just an average guy going off to war and the horrors that were there. It's great that we now have a game like Valiant Hearts. I just want more of that. Maybe not in the sam art style, but still something as great as that.

Selucia

Feb 27, 2015
My two settings would be China and dark age Europe two time periods i feel most people are rather uneducated on and have so much potential as settings.

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
The Thirty Years war, which was bloodiest conflict in Europe surpassed only by the Napoleonic and World Wars. I liked the pike and shot warfare in Medieval 2 since it was sort of a bridge between medieval and early modern fighting. I was surprised to see CA skip immediately over to the 18th century.

Also, more historical RPGs in general, like Expeditions and Viking Conquest.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
inu-kun said:
World War 2 in china could be interesting, another is having standard setting but made by different countries, like feudal japan by an american developer or the american revolution by a british developer, could be refreshing.
World War 2 in China led to the Rape of Nanjing; an extremely politically sensitive subject between the Japanese and the Chinese, with the Chinese still hating the Japanese for it, and the Japanese refusing to apologise and now saying it never happened.

Even to avoid it would infuriate the Chinese government and people, as it would be tantamount to saying it never happened.

There is no good way to show this, and as such, they probably never will.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Not much of a history guy, so I can't think of specific time periods.

I haven't seen a lot of games that take place in the 70s, though.

I've seen several games that take place in the 60s and 80s, but not the 70s. The only thing that comes to mind is The Warriors game and the cancelled Dirty Harry game.

It would be cool to see a horror game set in the 70s. Something like Texas Chainsaw Massacre or The Exorcist, that has the grit and mood of a 70s horror flick. Or perhaps a game in the style of a 70s exploitation film (And no, not like WET,) like a giallo film, or blaxploitation, or a Women in Prison movie (I would also say Rape and Revenge films, but we all know the enormous shitstorm that would cause.)

WhiteWolfe said:
Hmmmmm.... I feel like I've seen this avatar somewhere before. Veeeeeeeery suspicious...

Eh, probably my imagination.

BarryMcCociner

Feb 23, 2015
FirstNameLastName said:
There really needs to be more games set in a tribal setting that aren't RTS of any variant.
"Tribe" is such a loose and unhelpful term though. Tribe could mean anything from nomadic wanderers building leaf huts in the Australian bushland to Germanic military nations building giant fortified cities or Norsemen hammering ships together to prepare for raiding season.

Assassins Creed 3 begins in a tribal setting with Connor's tribal upbringing, you encounter a great many tribes in New Vegas from the poverty stricken and destitute Great Khans to the rapid expansionist Caesars Legion.

So you may have to clarify exactly what you mean by "tribe" because it covers such a wide array of cultures and societal structures.

BarryMcCociner

Feb 23, 2015
I'd love to see more games rooted in the common man's history rather than that of the warrior or that of the dictator.

Let me experience the uncertainty of day to day survival on the frontiers of the Roman empire with those savage and brutal Barbarians to the north and those cruel, hard-nosed tax agents creeping up from the south. Let me have to pick up the burnt out crops and homes of my neighbors and have to build it back up from the ground up. Let me have a tough year and have the tax man come take everything so I have to really work to see my characters family survive.

That being said, mythology of all kinds could always use more exploration still fucking waiting on a proper Hercules game.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
I can think of a few:

The Balkans conflict (the 90s one, although the others are good too). Having visited there recently, I can confirm that there's plenty of great ethnic history and conflict to use.

The Omayyads and any of the Arab/Muslim empires post (or during) the prophet Mohammad's life. Lots of great conquests that are generally ignored in western media.

Africa, circa whenever. Seriously, there's plenty of great stuff to dig up from the far past to modern day.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
1800s New Zealand, not a strategy game but perhaps isometric RPG as the period didn't really have much in the way of great activities. But individuals were able to impact the nation on a grander scale and the relations between the settlers and Maori, and the Maori and Maori, were very interesting.

Even better, getting to play AS a Maori before and during the colonization of New Zealand.

Failing that, the Siamese empire could use a lot more love. It pretty much dominated South East Asia for a long time. War Elephants guys. War. Elephant. Simulator.

WhiteWolfe

Mar 15, 2011
[Kira Must Die said:
]Not much of a history guy, so I can't think of specific time periods.

WhiteWolfe said:
Hmmmmm.... I feel like I've seen this avatar somewhere before. Veeeeeeeery suspicious...

Eh, probably my imagination.
*Cough* I did not replace my still with your vastly superior gif version. Nope, not a thing that happened at all. *cough*