Historical periods that are barely ever explored in games

May 20, 2009
Kingdom of the Suevi (also know as Kingdom of Gallaecia)

Suebian leader Hermeric conquers Galicia Year 409
Conquest by the King Leovigild of the Visigothic Kingdom Year 585

Then maybe the Germans would remember Portugal's germanic roots and stop wailing on us. There's a reason why the northern part of Portugal has a higher concentration of light haired/eyed individuals than in the south. I wonder....maybe Merkel is still sore that we took all those tribes away from her "father land" back in the day.

Here's a neat animated map with one of our king's conquests. King Rechila. Should be fun in a game.

SuperSamio64

Nov 4, 2010
AshFightsRobots said:
http://www.bgmod.com/ is a nice wee American Civil War mod for half life if anyone's interested
Ah, that's not the Civil War, that's the Revolutionary War! I know there's a proper Civil War mod being developed over here: http://www.moddb.com/games/war-of-rights but it might not be out for a while.

Kittyhawk

Aug 2, 2012
There's plenty of media out there covering the stuff you want to know about. Try going to a library, use an encyclopedia, or try the wonders of the internet.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Kittyhawk said:
There's plenty of media out there covering the stuff you want to know about. Try going to a library, use an encyclopedia, or try the wonders of the internet.
Media, yes(aside from Games)

Games, no.

Ben Hur, Cleopatra, etc. those kind of movies are pretty amazing and epic, I know that there is a massive amount of books that can match and surpass this level of epic, but the stuff I want to know about is not being covered all that much in videogames, which are a powerful medium indeed.

Imagine playing as a lone soldier, during the fall of Rome, barbarians taking the city, your friends dying around you, the mightiest nation in the world crumbling before your eyes and being unable to change anything about it, your options being only to run or to fight to the death.

There is an incredible amount of untapped potential in history that games can realise.

GameGuyMan

Nov 7, 2013
Call of duty needs to go back to what it used to be with the world war two games. They need to also put historical details and settings in modern video games. Untapped potential can come from it if developers can only grasp it.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
As a bit of a history junkie, I'm going to say just about every historical period. Then again, I still yearn for a good historically set rpg/action/non-rts/non-fps type game outside of Assassin's Creed.

Not that I have anything against RTS since I love Medieval II: Total War. It's more that I would love to step into the shoes of a character during one of those historical periods.

Regarding FPS, I wouldn't mind going back to WWII as long as they were willing to branch out a bit more. I have nothing against Americans but playing through many of the same battles repeatedly as an American G.I. got pretty stale after awhile. Heck, it's still stale with the modern warfare shooters. The Russian campaign from World at War is still my favourite out of all (4) military shooters that I own.

I think a time period I would like to see most is probably the early 20th century.

gamernerdtg2

Jan 2, 2013
There are too many historical periods...maybe the cold war, but certainly early US history with slavery and the destruction of Indian reservations. The US during civil rights...the entire period from the 1960's into the 70's. We have the "Warriors" which would be the 70's but we don't have something covering the political mess of the 60's with all the assassinations one after the next (MLK, JFK, RFK, etc...) Look it up. The 60's were ridiculous with the killing.

I think that part of the reason why we haven't seen stories that cover this history is because the US is still dealing with itself. People would be offended - especially if you deal with US slavery in the wrong way.

The other problem is that the genre possibilities for these games would be really narrow.

I guess there could be games dealing with Escobar (Colombia), or Che Guevara (Cuba) or the Cuban missile crisis (again, the 60's). Stalin was a beast.