Historical periods that are barely ever explored in games

AwesomeHatMan

Jul 24, 2012
NoeL said:
Yes I know. When I said "Other than that..." I was saying "Other than Africa..." And Mesopotamia isn't just Iraq, it's a whole region in the Middle East.
Misinterpreted the phrasing my bad, sorry.

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
Deshara said:
Ftaghn To You Too said:
Deshara said:
As a general reply to a lot of people asking why pre-Roman europe or, really, pre-roman anything isn't really depicted is because, according to our culture, it didn't exist. Of sure, it happened, it'll admit grudgingly, but those weren't really human beings, because real human beings are shy about sex, force eachother into labor for our own benefit and work ourselves to death to sustain a hierarchical society
That should mean we're all over pre-Roman times, since almost exactly nothing was different in the areas you say. Well, not shyness to sex, since that only started somewhere around the late medieval period to renaissance.
The Romans were actually pretty prudish. The whole "orgies and horse fucking" stuff was made up by christian romans to slander the non-christian romans. They just weren't prudish in the same way we are..
That's not quite true. Romans had sexual taboos just as strong as ours, but they had completely different taboos. For instance, oral sex was considered filthy, but anal penetration was considered perfectly fine. That's as long as you're the top, of course. Murals of sex acts were common in public places, prostitution was a state-regulated industry under Augustus, and public baths were basically hotbeds of indecency.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Sleekit said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
We don't see much of Africa prior to the 20th/21th century do we? Excluding the ocassional pyramid tour.
Shaka Zulu would be a great historical protagonist for a game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaka
Yeah, that guy took a level in badass like everyday that he lived. He would make a fascinating protagonist. I might add that we haven't really explored the Huns well - especially given the richness of their empire.

I would vote for the scottish clans, or perhaps the Irish. We also have never looked at some of the awesomely powerful Native American tribes like the mohawk, blackfoot confederacy or the Haida.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
+1 to the Byzantine era, but with a little changeup. Set it in pre-Ottoman, pre-Latin Empire Constantinople, and make it about a person who has lost his or her faith. Bonus points if you set it during the time when the debates over iconoclasm were taking place.

Pessimismus

Nov 9, 2009
I would personally love to see some games in the first World War. I know it wasn't the most dynamic front around, but it's still a period I am very interested in. I also think it might very well allow for a more mature story considering how brutal conditions were.

Beyond that, part of me is still rather sad that this one game called 'B.C.' got cancelled forever ago. Dinosaurs and cavemen living together might not exactly be authentic, but the concept of keeping your tribe alive by hunting and gathering with a dynamic ecosystem sounded really cool. But that might be a tad off-topic. Regardless, a game set in some tribal era might be fun to explore.

Itchi_da_killa

Jun 5, 2012
I would love to play an action/ RPG game that takes place in the setting of Gilgamesh. It would have to be a 30% mythological and 70% realistic type of setting.

Itchi_da_killa

Jun 5, 2012
Pessimismus said:
I would personally love to see some games in the first World War. I know it wasn't the most dynamic front around, but it's still a period I am very interested in. I also think it might very well allow for a more mature story considering how brutal conditions were.

Beyond that, part of me is still rather sad that this one game called 'B.C.' got cancelled forever ago. Dinosaurs and cavemen living together might not exactly be authentic, but the concept of keeping your tribe alive by hunting and gathering with a dynamic ecosystem sounded really cool. But that might be a tad off-topic. Regardless, a game set in some tribal era might be fun to explore.
Yeah that sounds like it would have been pretty cool. I have day-dreamed about games like that before.

Qvar

OBJECTION!
Aug 25, 2013
Shoggoth2588 said:
I can't tell you how much I would give to see an RPG (be it J, Western or, Bioware) that takes place in the present day AND is a Fantasy RPG with multiple playable races. That's...a lot more specific than what the OP is asking about...but there are no RPGs like that! Why can't there be more modern day RPGs?! J or otherwise!?
Vampire: Masquerade?
It doesn't have multiple races buuuuut it is a RPG set on modern days.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Ancient Egypt especially. In games other then those city-builders, there are really no games that have you in Ancient Egypt. I would love to see a game set there, maybe an action adventure or even a first person game with the whole gods and goddesses complex.

MrCollins

Power Vacuumer
Jun 28, 2010
There is a game currently, being developed that you can get through Steam Early Access.
It's called Verdun and it's a Multiplayer FPS set in WW2.
I haven't tried it myself (I don't like Early Access, but it definitely seems worth a look.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/242860/

TheRiddler

Sep 21, 2013
Even if we're just talking America, we haven't really touched the War of 1812 or the Mexican American War. For the former, it could be one of the few times where you could justifiably play America as the underdogs, and portray the fear, panic and doubt that went along with fighting a force as strong as the British armed forces (Also, the Battle of New Orleans would be freaking amazing. To be honest, I'd totally buy Andrew Jackson: The Game. The man was a badass.) And for the latter, the Mexican American War could combine exploration and combat with life on the desert frontier.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
Sleekit said:
RicoADF said:
World War 1 "The Great War", there's only 1 game I can think of that does this time period called "The Great War", a turned based strategy game, lots of fun but we seriously need more games set in this time especially considering how much it's effects are still being felt today.
i think when it comes to WW1 you'd have to be very careful not to glorify the war...WW1 still looms large in the cultural landscape of some countries and still stings...in the UK mostly because of horror of the "pals battalions" where entire social groups of men enlisted, fought and died together thus rendering individual communities with entire generations lost "all at once"...a lot of people in places like the UK don't move around much geographically and personally i walk past a village war memorial every day with 8 members of my own family on it...and those memorials are everywhere...even in the smallest hamlet...

WW1 is held up as the archetype of "the horrors of war" even now...after we've dropped nukes on people...
people would be extreamly sensitive to any "glorification" of it...

or to put it another way WW1 is the reason to a great many people this isn't just a picture of a field of flowers...

i like the Madmans idea for a horror game tho
This may have been said already, but that's actually something that America also suffered in the Civil War, where entire towns had generations of men wiped out as regiments were decimated. The end result being that afterwords, America made sure to mix recruits up, often spreading them between regiments and sending them to different theaters.

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
There is the prince of persia games, but I I find the idea of a medieval persia/ancient middle east setting fascinating.

Also, classic mythologies and pantheons. ancient Greece/Rome, Egypt, the norse gods.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
No, no more american civil war, please this is so overdone....

We should get more pre-roman times games or asian and african (possibly even american) cultures prior to colonization. How about the Chinese colonization expedition, when Chinese ruled half of Africa without spililng a drop of blood? (granted that ruling really lasted less than a year and did absolutely nothing, but technically the local lords bowed to chinese emperor).

FrozenLaughs

Sep 9, 2013
TheRiddler said:
And for the latter, the Mexican American War could combine exploration and combat with life on the desert frontier.
Wouldn't that just be Red Dead Redemption again, but with less trees?

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I want a WW2 survival horror game, set in Nazi Germany, where you play as a Jew, hiding away, trying to find a place to live. Maybe you hop the border to Switzerland, maybe you die.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Evil Smurf said:
I want a WW2 survival horror game, set in Nazi Germany, where you play as a Jew, hiding away, trying to find a place to live. Maybe you hop the border to Switzerland, maybe you die.
There was a sort of similar game to what you had in mind in development not too long ago(not a survival horror game, but it deals with that sort of side of events).

It's called Imagination Is the Only Escape.

Sadly, it was cancelled because of the "dark imagery and subject matter".

Because apparently that's a valid reason.

GG Nintendo of America.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Akichi Daikashima said:
Evil Smurf said:
There was a sort of similar game to what you had in mind in development not too long ago(not a survival horror game, but it deals with that sort of side of events).

It's called Imagination Is the Only Escape.

Sadly, it was cancelled because of the "dark imagery and subject matter".

Because apparently that's a valid reason.

GG Nintendo of America.
I can dream at least :(

red dragon 52

May 4, 2010
As a history Major i'm the wrong person to ask for this :p. My main one is Europe between 1820 until 1913. The rise of Prussia and wars like the Crimean War and the Unification of Italy and Germany provide interesting subjects of both military evolution between the Napoleonic and the modern era as well as political evolution of European empires and states leading up to the first world war, but the era seems to be completely ignored by any culturally relevant mediums. If you go by them nothing at all happened between Napoleon and the First World War, and even those have only been touched on a couple of times themselves.

Edit: For all the people who want a world war one shooter, there is two i can show you, both currently in development but one is a alpha release on Steam. Verdun is the Alpha release, a multiplayer based FPS: http://www.verdungame.com/

The Trench is a interesting single player FPS where u spend 3 days preparing your trench for the coming assault then defend it. Its still in development by a small indie team but hopefully the beta will come out soon: http://www.thetrench1916.com/