History Channel Renews Vikings For a Fourth Season

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
5,449
0
0
History Channel Renews Vikings For a Fourth Season


After scoring strong ratings with the early episodes of its third season, the History Channel has ordered a fourth season for its scripted series Vikings.

Back in 2013, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/history%20channel?os=history+channel>the History Channel decided to take a step away from its educational fare and take a chance on its first scripted series: Vikings. A work of historical fiction, it focused on the legendary warlord Ragnar Lothbrok, the show instantly won over audiences with good writing, visceral battles and great performances from its cast.

Last month the show launched into <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/sdcc2014/11988-Vikings-Teaser-Trailer-Shows-New-Season-Three-Footage>its third season and, while it still has a way to go, the reaction from viewers has apparently already been really good. So good, in fact, that the History Channel has announced that it has green lit the show for a season four. "Vikings has raided the hearts of both audiences and critics, establishing itself as one of the most compelling, visually stunning dramas on television," said History general manager Dirk Hoogtra. The first five episodes of season four have apparently averaged 4.3 million viewers, making it the most viewed cable series on Thursday nights across all of the key demographics. Filming of season four will commence this spring in Ireland.

Just speaking personally, I couldn't be more happy about this news. Vikings has had me hooked since its first episode and, since then, each new season has only dragged me deeper into its world. If the History Channel thinks it can keep the show's momentum going through a fourth season, I and many others will happily be waiting to see where it takes us next.

Source: Deadline


Permalink
 
Jan 12, 2012
2,114
0
0
Just finished "Born Again", the latest episode, and I'm pumped for more Vikings. It's a darn good show, both theatrically and historically, and I want to see how it shakes out.
I want to see how far they go in the story of Ragnar's sons, and now with the birth of Alfred the Great I wonder if they're going to plow right through the century.
 

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
5,655
23
13
I lost interest primarily because of the horrible air time. Seriously, who airs a show at eleven P.M. at night on a Tuesday? There's another reason, but we'll skip that. I have seen it pop up on Hulu with the first two seasons. Might have to give it a go again.
 

Albino Boo

New member
Jun 14, 2010
4,667
0
0
The portrayal of the history is somewhat "interesting" to say the least. Thats said, I do enjoy watching it and its fun so the real history doesn't matter so much . Largely beacsue of this guy
 

Megalodon

New member
May 14, 2010
781
0
0
2013? Pretty sure the History Channel stepped away from 'Educational Fare' long before then.

That said, as a sucker for all things Viking, should probably check this out...
 

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
5,034
0
0
Megalodon said:
2013? Pretty sure the History Channel stepped away from 'Educational Fare' long before then.
To be fair, this is closer to being educational than their usual fare for the past several years. I mean, at least it's not a show about the "ALIENS!" guy...
 

Scytail

New member
Jan 26, 2010
286
0
0
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Just finished "Born Again", the latest episode, and I'm pumped for more Vikings. It's a darn good show, both theatrically and historically, and I want to see how it shakes out.
I want to see how far they go in the story of Ragnar's sons, and now with the birth of Alfred the Great I wonder if they're going to plow right through the century.
I'm also very curious to see what direction they go in with his kids and Rollo considering its been confirmed that he is suppose to be the Rollo, founder of the de Normandy dynasty.
 
Jan 12, 2012
2,114
0
0
Elfgore said:
I lost interest primarily because of the horrible air time. Seriously, who airs a show at eleven P.M. at night on a Tuesday? There's another reason, but we'll skip that. I have seen it pop up on Hulu with the first two seasons. Might have to give it a go again.
What kind of cable package do you have? We see it Thursdays at 10 here in Canada, and I thought that was the first air time. And aside from Hulu, the History Channel website lets you watch all the episodes there: http://www.history.ca/vikings/
 

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
4,931
0
0
So how accurate is the show? I've never seen it, and it's on History so it could be anywhere from hard historical facts to a fantasy land that has Valkyries fighting along side the Vikings instead of being only part of Helga's myths.
 
Jan 12, 2012
2,114
0
0
Zontar said:
So how accurate is the show? I've never seen it, and it's on History so it could be anywhere from hard historical facts to a fantasy land that has Valkyries fighting along side the Vikings instead of being only part of Helga's myths.
Pretty good. I'm in the field of medieval history, and one of my colleges specializes in Scandinavia, and he has nothing but praise. It's reasonably accurate in the basics of how they lived with only a bit of TV gloss around the religious rituals. The storyline takes the legends of Ragnar as fact when in reality the truth is a lot more murky (he probably existed, but definitely didn't give birth to all the sons attributed to him), but that's fine by me; it's grounded otherwise, so a bit of genealogical license doesn't hurt.
 

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
4,931
0
0
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Zontar said:
So how accurate is the show? I've never seen it, and it's on History so it could be anywhere from hard historical facts to a fantasy land that has Valkyries fighting along side the Vikings instead of being only part of Helga's myths.
Pretty good. I'm in the field of medieval history, and one of my colleges specializes in Scandinavia, and he has nothing but praise. It's reasonably accurate in the basics of how they lived with only a bit of TV gloss around the religious rituals. The storyline takes the legends of Ragnar as fact when in reality the truth is a lot more murky (he probably existed, but definitely didn't give birth to all the sons attributed to him), but that's fine by me; it's grounded otherwise, so a bit of genealogical license doesn't hurt.
With that description, I might just give it a look if I get the time.
 

Ftaghn To You Too

New member
Nov 25, 2009
489
0
0
Zontar said:
So how accurate is the show? I've never seen it, and it's on History so it could be anywhere from hard historical facts to a fantasy land that has Valkyries fighting along side the Vikings instead of being only part of Helga's myths.
It's an absolute abomination in terms of costuming, plotting, and arms and armor. The first season's plotline revolves around the Vikings not knowing that there's such a thing as Britain. It's a fine show, but it's best to expect absolutely nothing from its historical accuracy.