Hitman: Absolution Dev Says Most Players Won't Finish the Game

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
That's true for the previous Hitman games too. Unlike me, most of my friends didn't bother to finish the games because they were very challenging. This is how I like Hitman.

Challenge accepted!

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
SirBryghtside said:
A fifth seems pretty low, but honestly I don't think it's that far off. From friends who looked at me in abject horror when I told them that I'd completed Final Fantasy 3, to Steam buddies who have played 2 hours of Portal, to my personal experiences with having a near-infinite backlog... I think there's a lot of truth to this. Little depressing.
darkstone said:
If they get 60 dollars in their pocket it shouldn't matter if I play only one level, or all of them. As long as they got their money they shouldn't care.
That seems... awfully backward.
Why? I paid my 60 bucks, how ever much of the game I decide to enjoy is no one else's business. I'll say now that I'll play this game to completion multiple times so the dev doesn't have to worry that I'll see the credit screen, especially if they pull another blood money and you have to sit through a portion of the credits waiting for the opportune moment to wake up.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
UNHchabo said:
According to Valve's stats, only about 90% of players ever made it to the second map in HL2:Ep1 or HL2:Ep2.

http://www.steampowered.com/status/ep1/
http://www.steampowered.com/status/ep2/ep2_stats.php

And both games had about 50% make it to the last map.

Valve said:
Our data indicates that while 52.03% of the players have reached the final map (as noted in the Highest Map Played graph below), only roughly half of those players have completed the game. This leads us to believe that either players are quitting before they see the credits, or there is a bug in how we collect this data.
I -got- to the last map in HL2:Ep2, but it was too difficult for me to complete.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Grygor said:
Protip everyone:

Achievement tracking and other gaming metrics show that the overwhelming majority of people who play a game fail to complete it, or even progress very far. Any game.

Bingo.

It's silly how many responses there have been even at this easrly point about how the game must suck if no one is finishing it. News flash, but the game isn't out yet. They are using metrics from previous Hitman games or even other games entirely.. you know, the ones that are supposedly better than this one.

The fact is, very few people who buy any game finish it. Heck, I'm a pretty dedicated gamer who does certainly consider myself hardcore and I've got more than a handful of titles I haven't finished. Never mind the ton of people who buy a game just because the box looks cool on the shelf.

Honestly, this is a pretty interesting discussion once you get beyond the misguided knee jerk hate. what can you do to get more people to want to invest in your games for the long term? Is that even really that large of an issue once you get them in the door? How should you allocate development resources if you know that a large number of players will never actually see more than, say, the first 3 levels of your 10 level game? Etc.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I can never understand people who don't play a game through to the end. Unless the game really is attrocious/difficult, I can't see how a person will not allow themselves the 6-12 hours it takes to finish one title at a time. Especially considering how much you have to pay for them.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Rednog said:
Sigh, I'm pounding my head on my desk for preordering Hitman just this morning.
Unless this is a common statistic among games and completion rates I really think that this does not bode well for this game.
If anything I'm surprised it's this high. Excellent games with a broad appeal tend to end up between 40-50% completion rates. (both Portal games, SR3, DE:HR, to name a few). Now compare those to Hitman, which is a relatively niche title, and quite challenging.

maninahat said:
I can never understand people who don't play a game through to the end. Unless the game really is attrocious/difficult, I can't see how a person will not allow themselves the 6-12 hours it takes to finish one title at a time. Especially considering how much you have to pay for them.
Unless you run through with guns blazing I sincerely doubt you're going to finish -any- Hitman game's first playthrough in less than 12 hours. Or 20, for that matter.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
Grygor is correct. So many give up or only play difficult games a short while before quitting.

Completionists are in a minority, as are those that WILL play it right to the end. I'd consider myself one to go to the end most of the time, but there are a few titles which I haven't completed.

Anyway, Hitman, challenge accepted. Well played.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
SirBryghtside said:
darkstone said:
Why? I paid my 60 bucks, how ever much of the game I decide to enjoy is no one else's business. I'll say now that I'll play this game to completion multiple times so the dev doesn't have to worry that I'll see the credit screen, especially if they pull another blood money and you have to sit through a portion of the credits waiting for the opportune moment to wake up.
The implication of your comment was that the developers shouldn't care about consumer satisfaction, just the money. It is a GOOD thing that they want people to enjoy their game, not just to buy it
My first post was poorly worded I'll admit, it's fine that they want as many people as possible to fully enjoy the game they are making. What I wanted to say was was implied in my second post, once I buy the game it is up to me how much of the game I want to play.

If I leave the game out of boredom, dislike of the game, another game takes up my time, or lack of time to dedicate to their game, once I pay my fee it's out of their hands to do anything about it.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Hell yeah I'm going to finish this game, took me 34 hours to finish SR3. If I buy a game, you can be sure I am going to finish it.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I'd suggest with the current lack of disposal income for many, those who do lay down the cash for Hitman, will probably not be bothered by a dozen other new games any time soon.

Maybe a couple of years ago, but no, not now, we'll be draining every last nugget of enjoyment out of everything we buy from now on!

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Why would people buy a game and not finish it unless it's bad?

IO is telling us Hitman will be bad. That makes me sad.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Combustion Kevin said:
not finishing a game?!
well, I never.....

unheard of, outrageous, BLASPHEMOUS, I say, to leave a game unfinished is to leave your lover unsatisfied, this is an outrage!
I have a large backlog of unsatisfied lovers. Most of them are boring, one-trick ponies, the rest just lie there like a dead fish.

captcha: one hit wonder. Most games are these nowadays.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
who the hell doesnt finish their games?...I mean your missung out of the full experience

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
The only games I have which I haven't finished are either ones I got bored of, or games I impulse-bought a long time ago and never bothered to play. When I buy a game and enjoy it, I finish it. Often multiple times.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
kiri2tsubasa said:
Vault101 said:
who the hell doesnt finish their games?...I mean your missung out of the full experience
A pretty good percentage actually. People that finish games tend to be between 50%-60% at most with broad titles. 1/5 with a fairly niche game sounds about right (especially when compared to the number of people that completed Hitman: Blood Money).
hitman is niche?

if thats the case then it must be why people say video games storys are bad (or the endings in particular) if they don't think anyones going ot make it that far

I admit I let the backlog build up on me and I lose interest...but if I think a game is geniunly good I'll take time to finish it...I just finish Dead space 2 the other week and I got it when it first came out

anyway, its a habit a intend to break once I get thease backlogs out the way

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
I have a very low tolerance for bullshit in games, if I stop having fun or, and this is damning for a game, get frustrated then I'll happily switch it off. Since I buy most of my games dead cheap on Steam and I'll probably get back to it at some point, I don't feel too bad about doing it.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
kiri2tsubasa said:
Speaking of Dead Space 2, according to playfire on the PS3 the percentage of people that beat Dead Space 2 is only 48%, on the other systems, I suspect the numbers are comparable.
...0_0

..and Dead space 2 was a short game!