Hitman: Absolution Dev Says Most Players Won't Finish the Game

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
Shit ending confirmed

Although I guess it will be intersting seeing whether its just their play-testers or not

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Why do they care if someone finishes the game? The sale has already been made.

Seriously though, I haven't had any interest in the Hitman series, and there is nothing whatsoever they could ever do to make me care about it.

Its not as if I don't like that kind of gameplay, I love Tenchu and other stealth games, but I just don't care for Baldy and from the info I've seen over the years I don't like anything about the series.

If I were a developer, and I had done several games in a series that so far has as its highest point the advent of a mediocre action film (and I'm not Capcom) I'd start working on a different IP asap.

When your own metrics, which I imagine are based on their own playtesters, tells you that only 1 in 5 people will finish your game, you are doing something wrong. You may have made the finest Hitman game ever, but maybe no one wants another Hitman game?

They would be lucky to find 1 in 5 people that has even heard of their series, and didn't assume they were movie tie ins lol

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Rednog said:
Unless this is a common statistic among games and completion rates I really think that this does not bode well for this game.
Shit, I hope not! Those things cost at least $30 where I'm from (new releases are $60). Not finishing them is a waste. WASTE I SAY!

OT: Why oh why would they admit that their game isn't engaging enough for some people to finish? Reverse psychology marketing, maybe?

BBboy20

Jun 27, 2011
darkstone said:
If they get 60 dollars in their pocket it shouldn't matter if I play only one level, or all of them. As long as they got their money they shouldn't care.
And art is dead, right?

Vault101 said:
kiri2tsubasa said:
Speaking of Dead Space 2, according to playfire on the PS3 the percentage of people that beat Dead Space 2 is only 48%, on the other systems, I suspect the numbers are comparable.
...0_0

..and Dead space 2 was a short game!
And PS3 version didn't have two discs.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
The only games I've finished in the past five years or so include:

• Crysis

Pokemon Black and Pokemon SoulSilver

Mass Effect 1 and 2

Limbo

So they may be on to something.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
LastGreatBlasphemer said:
"Math says 1 in 5 won't have the attention span to beat our game"

Did you just tell me your game is going to be unengagingly boring shit?
They either said that, or they called you a moron. Take your pick, lol.

Jovip

Aug 12, 2010
No more to say then, people don't finish every game they own? i have never rented a game or bought a game or borrowed a game and not beaten it. it's just something you do.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
It's suprising that they would even acknowledge something like this.

It's generally pretty bad marketing to tell people they're likely to not want to even finish the game that you want them to buy.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
felbot said:
i can already hear the rage coming from a mile, people are going to hate this game aren't they?
I'm wondering if that's the reason. Of course, maybe they should look at making a game people will want to play through.

I'm probably talking crazy though.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
That numbers is pretty worthless without something to compare it to.
I think 20% is a fair amount of gamers that finish their games in general.
I mean, do you honestly think that more than 20% of all people who bought, say, Skyrim, really finished the main quest, despite it being the most boring part of the game?

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Tamrin said:

I shudder to think what would have happened had everyone finished ME3.​
LMAO!!

I do have to agree with their theory of 20% completion rate. But then again, I finish the majority of my games unless there is something I don't like ie game mechanics *Glares at Lollipop Chainsaw* or how the marketing is handled *Glares at the ME3 multiplayer*

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
mrdude2010 said:
Oh how pathetic kids are these days with their inability to pay attention to a game for long periods of time or complete difficult parts.
That sounds like a pretty huge cop-out excuse to me. I just have a hard time believing that someone is gonna lay down $50-60+ on a game then quit cause it is too hard. Maybe I can only speak for myself, but if I buy a game and don't finish it, it isn't cause it's hard; it's because it isn't fun. The only game I've ever quit before completion because it was hard was SMT:Nocturne.. and anyone who's played that game knows why.