Hitman Next-Gen Project Killed, Square Enix Confirms

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Hitman Next-Gen Project Killed, Square Enix Confirms

It's just Square's next-gen version, not the Hitman series as a whole.

Square Enix Senior Designer Richard Knight caused some excitement when he updated his LinkedIn profile, adjusting it to "Senior Designer - Hitman Project (Next-Gen Consoles/Current Gen/PC) - Cancelled." That title, which may or may not have been called Hitman: Guns and Souls, is dead in the water, but developer IO Interactive was quick to reassure the internet that this cancellation doesn't mean the Hitman franchise is dead.

IO community content manager Travis Tweets [https://twitter.com/IO_Travis/statuses/420171368131354624] that it was just the next-gen title, not the series, which has fallen by the wayside. IO is the developer of the series, while Square is one of the publishers.

Square Enix is currently working on an Android and iOS Hitman title, rather than the cancelled PC and console game, while IO is in pre-production on a new AAA Hitman project. Neither project [http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/hitman_absolution/news/square_enix_montreals_next-gen_hitman_title_confirmed_cancelled.html] has been formally announced.

Confused? Don't worry; it could be much worse [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ9f2rnjB84].

Source: VG24/7 [http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/06/hitman-next-gen-square-enix-montreals-project-cancelled-according-to-employee-cv/]

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Last one was really disappointing. The new disguise mechanic and linear level design killed it for me. It's like they blew their entire budget on the engine.

Blood Money was leagues ahead in fun factor.

Also, just to add to the article:

Wikipedia said:
Originally, the game was to be developed by Square Enix Montreal however recently, their parent company Square Enix ran into financial difficulties, and they had large numbers of employees cut to save money.

In addition to this, it was confirmed that IO Interactive would be working solely on Hitman 6 and would no longer be developing any more additions to the Kane & Lynch, Mini Ninjas or Freedom Fighters series.

Square Enix Montreal, which was originally working on the next Hitman title, will now reportedly focus on developing smartphone and tablet versions of Hitman and other games
Guess this is what happens when you piss away money on bloated development budgets -_-

Still, no more kane and lynch is a plus =P

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Real shame, seeing as I really enjoyed Absolution (it being the only Hitman game I ever finished).

Maybe they wanna overhaul the game again, which could be amazing (for the old school fans) or disastrous for everyone who cares about stealth.

Personally I think they'll be going for the latter, seeing as their shareholders are most likely still after their heads, and they wanna 'attract the CoD fanbase'.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Absolution was fantastic. So were the previous games. I'm not going to play an iOS version of the game though, that's silly. *sigh*

So Square's response to poor sales isn't to budget more appropriately, it's to be more like EA?

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
best thing about this article... the video for the pellet with the poison

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Oh boy! A Squeenix mobile version of Hitman, a franchise they already seem to view with disdain? Given how much effort they put into FF:All The Bravest I can't wait for the inevitably incredible Hitman Mobile game the studio will produce. I'm sure it won't at all be exploitative and will be challenging and entertaining.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
If Absolution was anything to go by, this might be a good sign for the franchise.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ron1n said:
Guess this is what happens when you piss away money on bloated development budgets -_-

Still, no more kane and lynch is a plus =P
I'm not sure I can live without my Mini Ninjas fix though.

But seriously, I doubt anyone cares about K&L, but the overall trend is one of....

Lightknight said:
So Square's response to poor sales isn't to budget more appropriately, it's to be more like EA?
I would think more like Ubisoft, who has outright said they're not interested in games without franchise potential.

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
suitepee7 said:
best thing about this article... the video for the pellet with the poison
LRR's Andy Cowdnen often reminds me of Danny Kaye. It's not just the face; there's something about the deadpan comic delivery.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Maybe you should kill the franchise. For a bit. Then give the game to another studio.

At this point Hitman needs a Tomb Raider makeover.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Lightknight said:
I would think more like Ubisoft, who has outright said they're not interested in games without franchise potential.
I've actually considered Ubisoft to be well on the way to the road of being EA for awhile now. So i don't disagree.

It seems the people who sign off on the budgets like to point anywhere but at themselves. As such, we never seem to get better budgeting and instead they just try to do different things. At least iOS will force them to budget more reasonably because you can't spend that much money on it anyways.

At some point, I hope the people who have figured out the stages of good product development (1. Conservative sales forecasting. 2. Conservative Budgeting based on conservative forecasting. 3. Keeping to the budget as closely as possible) will somehow usurp these crazy companies who think that if they only spend $10 million on an RPG that they can then get COD money.

Hitman, Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs. These were good games that each sold millions of copies. But let me tell you something, if you sell millions of copies and still lose money, you're doing it wrong. Square Enix is pointing their fingers in the wrong direction and they're too sick to see it.

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
So an iOS and Android title hey...so the franchise IS dead?

Such a shame, Blood Money was amazing.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
josemlopes said:
They couldnt rely on his hair to promote the game as they are doing with Lara's.
Cheeky. (But seriously, dat hair!)

OT: I'm... increasingly concerned about Square Enix. Are they OK? Do they need help? Are they killing everything? D:

somethingorother003

Jan 6, 2014
Can't say I'm really all that upset by it, I enjoyed Absolution somewhat but I never was able to get into it like Silent Assassin, or even as much as Blood Money.

Linear level designs? Caring about other people? Agent 47 was drunk on his last outing.

mrvenom

Jan 3, 2010
I really hope they return to the good old days (SA and BM). But i fear that it's gonna be a new game, new studio, more cover mechanics, multiplayer deathmatches, perk system and a "OI you haven't moved for 2 seconds, so go here" arrow hint system. Everything to get the CoD fanbase.. heaven forbid they actually develop for a more hardcore fanbase... Ugh.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Lightknight said:
I've actually considered Ubisoft to be well on the way to the road of being EA for awhile now. So i don't disagree.
I singled them out mostly because EA seems to actually care about their image. I mean, they're still stupid and do some crappy things to games, but this seems more overt. Still, potayto potahto.

At some point, I hope the people who have figured out the stages of good product development (1. Conservative sales forecasting. 2. Conservative Budgeting based on conservative forecasting. 3. Keeping to the budget as closely as possible) will somehow usurp these crazy companies who think that if they only spend $10 million on an RPG that they can then get COD money.
The best part about 3 to me will be that they will no longer feel they need to make back that 10 million. Which you already touched upon mentioning the three games in question. The two of the three games I played (Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider) were both good games and it's really a damn shame that they're considered liabilities instead of assets. Though with the sequel to SD coming out, maybe it's still in the game. I just hope they don't end up canning it, too.

I have Absolution (PS+ freebie), but I haven't played it yet, so I can't speak to it.