Hobbit Casting Agent Fired For Dismissing Non-White Hobbits

Spirultima

Jul 25, 2008
JDKJ said:
Spirultima said:
Well all British were white and i say that as fact, if Tolkien didn't add coloured hobbits then i can kind of see the logic. On the otherhand this could be made out to be worse then fact, nearly always is, but if the guy was being genuinely racist then he got what he deserved.
Tolkien did add colored Hobbits. Read Tolkien. According to his own words, the Harfoot Hobbits are "brown-skinned."
Well in which case, yeah he was being most likely being racist, so he got what he deserved.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Spirultima said:
JDKJ said:
Spirultima said:
Well all British were white and i say that as fact, if Tolkien didn't add coloured hobbits then i can kind of see the logic. On the otherhand this could be made out to be worse then fact, nearly always is, but if the guy was being genuinely racist then he got what he deserved.
Tolkien did add colored Hobbits. Read Tolkien. According to his own words, the Harfoot Hobbits are "brown-skinned."
Well in which case, yeah he was being most likely being racist, so he got what he deserved.
I'm not gonna sit here and act as if I have the slightest clue what you're talking about when I don't.

EDIT: OK. I gotcha. The casting director got what he deserved. At first, I thought you meant Tolkien got what he deserved. My bad.

Kenko

Jul 25, 2010
JDKJ said:
PayJ567 said:
Octorok said:
PayJ567 said:
Fucking load of mother fucking horse shit. If they did a film about Africa and they where asked to find Africans it wouldn't be racist. THIS IS FUCKING HORSESHIT. You need white people to play the hobbit you need fucking black people to play black people.

You're not being discriminated against, if discrimination is such a big problem for you why don't you fuck off back to Africa I'll even pay for your fucking ticket.
uh.... In all fairness, this idiot is from the Middle East....
What are you even talking about?
The better question is to which idiot the "idiot" refers. At least, that's what I'm asking myself.
Even though his rant may seem a bit unwarranted and needlessly offensive. He's got a point. Its not like a person can play the role of Mbatuwe the Hunter in a movie that plays out in Africa. For the same reason a middle-easterner or black person cannot take the roll of a Took in a Tolkien movie. Thats just silly and stupid. The movie shouldnt be punished just because some ignorant brown-shaded tard hasnt read the damn books or the lore.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Kenko said:
JDKJ said:
PayJ567 said:
Octorok said:
PayJ567 said:
Fucking load of mother fucking horse shit. If they did a film about Africa and they where asked to find Africans it wouldn't be racist. THIS IS FUCKING HORSESHIT. You need white people to play the hobbit you need fucking black people to play black people.

You're not being discriminated against, if discrimination is such a big problem for you why don't you fuck off back to Africa I'll even pay for your fucking ticket.
The better question is to which idiot the "idiot" refers. At least, that's what I'm asking myself.
Even though his rant may seem a bit unwarranted and needlessly offensive. He's got a point. Its not like a person can play the role of Mbatuwe the Hunter in a movie that plays out in Africa. For the same reason a middle-easterner or black person cannot take the roll of a Took in a Tolkien movie. Thats just silly and stupid. The movie shouldnt be punished just because some ignorant brown-shaded tard hasnt read the damn books or the lore.
double post

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Kenko said:
JDKJ said:
PayJ567 said:
Octorok said:
PayJ567 said:

He'd maybe have a point if the Tooks were to be the only Hobbit clan depicted in the film. But that, I imagine, while possible, is unlikely. The Hobbits of the Shire, according to Tolkien, are of "three somewhat different breeds: Harfoots, Stoors and Fallohides. The Harfoots were browner of skin, smaller and shorter . . . " and the Harfoots make up the majority of the Shire's inhabitants. So, to cast a "brown-shaded tard" in the role of a Harfoot would, to me, make perfect sense (more so because she's "brown-shaded" and less so because she's an alleged "tard").

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Daveman said:
I don't know. Maybe I'm just secretly racist but I can't imagine a pakistani hobbit or a black hobbit. I just picture them as white in my head. I don't know, do any black or non-white escapists think of hobbits as being of a certain ethnicity.

I mean, not the same thing really but nobody is cross-gender auditioning are they and that's not sexist.
"Maybe I'm just secretly racist . . . ."

If something's obvious for all to see, is it a "secret?" I don't think so.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
Ok dark skin is gained in human evolution by being out in direct sun with little to no clouds.

Hobbits live in Hills and most come out at night.

So hobbits being pasty goths would be better casting indeed.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Carlston said:
Ok dark skin is gained in human evolution by being out in direct sun with little to no clouds.

Hobbits live in Hills and most come out at night.

So hobbits being pasty goths would be better casting indeed.
Should they also sport black nail polish on their fingers and wear black eyeliner? And listen to weepy albums by The Cure?

And you've got the evolutionary process reversed. Man started out with an overabundance of melanin in their skin which they lost as part of the adaptive process (i.e., the less sunlight on the skin, the less need for the protective qualities of melanin) when they migrated out of the African continent (the birthplace of Mankind) and into the less tropical climates of Europe.

But that reversal of evolutionary science is frequently made. Often in a feeble attempt to place greater value on fair skin over that of dark skin. Racists come up with dumb shit like that all the time. It don't make no sense, but that don't stop 'em.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Stiffkittin said:
GrinningManiac said:
Stiffkittin said:
Oh also, PayJ567 is a cancerous smear on the underwear of humanity who, like all noxious stains, must be treated with polite disdain in company and sad pitying laughter when he has left the room.
Stiffkittin is a godly gift to the otherwise-squalid hopelessness of humanity who, like the greatest of thinkers, must be put on a plinth and admired for his witty and original use of the concept of "laughing with pity" and "growing tired of your once-humourous efforts to prove me wrong, trolls".

Matter has antimatter. The Troll has the Antitroll - a being who seeks out the common troll and states it is "amused" by the "flailings" of the "pathetic" troll, and uses "airquotes" a "lot" of the "time".

PayJ is twice the man you will ever be! He stands for freedom of speech, non-sequiturs and half a slice of bacon for every second-born.

VOTE PAYJ ON NOVEMBER 2ND! It PAYS to be with PAYJ!
I have never used airquotes and I profoundly resent the implication!!

Also, if I vote do I get a button?
Indeed you do! Not a badge-button. An ACTUAL button which nukes the country of your choice!

Also, it's pronounced ' "airquotes" ' ... not 'airquotes'

EVERYTHING'S BETTER WHEN YOU VOTE PAYJ 2011

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
JDKJ said:
unabomberman said:
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember correctly, Tolkien never did allude to his characters being other than whitey-white, right? What is more, the more exotic loking people were the bad guys as the alligned with Sauron adn shit.
I'll correct you. Why not? I've been doing it for everyone else. Tolkien did allude to his characters being other than whitey-white. He describes the Harfoot Hobbits as being "browner of skin" than the other Hobbit races.
I didn't remember that part, but I stand corrected. Thanks.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
unabomberman said:
JDKJ said:
unabomberman said:
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember correctly, Tolkien never did allude to his characters being other than whitey-white, right? What is more, the more exotic loking people were the bad guys as the alligned with Sauron adn shit.
I'll correct you. Why not? I've been doing it for everyone else. Tolkien did allude to his characters being other than whitey-white. He describes the Harfoot Hobbits as being "browner of skin" than the other Hobbit races.
I didn't remember that part, but I stand corrected. Thanks.
You're welcome. Like I said, I've been doing it for everyone else. No reason with you shouldn't benefit similarly.

Mr. Socky

Apr 22, 2009
Fasckira said:
I get the impression the agent has been fired to save PR. Hobbits are all white, simple as - its not a racist thing but a point of fact. I mean if you really wanted to start getting technical its all done to where they sit in middle earth, based on the weather conditions and so on. Its the same reason why you wouldnt see any black dwarfs or elfs either.
It's a shame that people have to be so worried that so much as twitching funnily can be construed as politically incorrect. You are correct, sir, in that hobbits are just white.
Yet why can't the general public see this fact??! Honestly, if hobbits were black or asian, I bet most people would say that it was belittling of them to portray blacks and asians as tiny fat people.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Misterpinky said:
Fasckira said:
I get the impression the agent has been fired to save PR. Hobbits are all white, simple as - its not a racist thing but a point of fact. I mean if you really wanted to start getting technical its all done to where they sit in middle earth, based on the weather conditions and so on. Its the same reason why you wouldnt see any black dwarfs or elfs either.
It's a shame that people have to be so worried that so much as twitching funnily can be construed as politically incorrect. You are correct, sir, in that hobbits are just white.
Yet why can't the general public see this fact??! Honestly, if hobbits were black or asian, I bet most people would say that it was belittling of them to portray blacks and asians as tiny fat people.
The Hobbits are not "just white." According to Tolkien, there are three different breeds of Hobbits and one of those breeds, the Harfoot Hobbits, are are "of browner skin" than the other two breeds. I'd ask why you can't see this fact (given that, aside from it being clearly stated by Tolkien in The Hobbit's prologue, it's already been plastered all up and down this thread like floral wallpaper) but I'll just go ahead and assume that either: (a) you've never closely read The Hobbit or (b) you've never closely read this thread or (c) you can't be bothered with the facts and simply choose to ignore them for some strange reason.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
TheRealCJ said:
sir.rutthed said:
And that's what you get for staying true to your source material. It actually says in the intro to Fellowship that the Hobbits inhabit what is now Scandanavia, a place peopled very heavily by whites as white as they come. This is such bullshit.

Wuvlycuddles said:
Ok, so it's perfectly acceptable to have a bunch of White guys pass as middle eastern nobility in that Prince of Persia film but a non-white hobbit is somehow completey unacceptable?

Would you listen to yourselves?

Its a freakin fantasy film, SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF IS IMPLIED.
Suspension of disbelief is very hard to achieve if a film actively goes against its own world. It's not racist to say a black hobbit would take you out of the film world, it makes sense because there are no black hobbits in the literature it's based on.
"Woah, that inconsequential background character isn't white! THIS IS TOTALLY UNBELIEVABLE!"

Also, are you suggesting that having secondary characters be the wrong skin colour in a film is more jarring than having the entire main cast be the wrong nationality?
Thing is, the Hobbits are their own race. To draw a comparison, they could be likened to some American tribe. They're their own people with their own customs from a time period where there was almost no intermarrying between the races, and they're in a closed off part of the world with almost no outside trade. Where would they have even gotten the genes to have different skin colors? Having them have different skin colors just doesn't make any sense. There aren't that many Hobbits to begin with, maybe a couple thousand from what we can read. That means little genetic diversity, so they'll share many traits between them all. When you consider this, and the fact that all the Hobbits we've seen so far have been white, it makes no sense for there to be "minority" Hobbits. Whitewashing a film is dumb, I'll give you that. But it's just as dumb to have minorities represented within a minority where those minorities don't exist. It's political correctness at its most useless, and it accomplishes nothing but making the people involved look stupid.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
sir.rutthed said:
TheRealCJ said:
sir.rutthed said:
And that's what you get for staying true to your source material. It actually says in the intro to Fellowship that the Hobbits inhabit what is now Scandanavia, a place peopled very heavily by whites as white as they come. This is such bullshit.

Wuvlycuddles said:
Ok, so it's perfectly acceptable to have a bunch of White guys pass as middle eastern nobility in that Prince of Persia film but a non-white hobbit is somehow completey unacceptable?

Would you listen to yourselves?

Its a freakin fantasy film, SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF IS IMPLIED.
Suspension of disbelief is very hard to achieve if a film actively goes against its own world. It's not racist to say a black hobbit would take you out of the film world, it makes sense because there are no black hobbits in the literature it's based on.
"Woah, that inconsequential background character isn't white! THIS IS TOTALLY UNBELIEVABLE!"

Also, are you suggesting that having secondary characters be the wrong skin colour in a film is more jarring than having the entire main cast be the wrong nationality?
Thing is, the Hobbits are their own race. To draw a comparison, they could be likened to some American tribe. They're their own people with their own customs from a time period where there was almost no intermarrying between the races, and they're in a closed off part of the world with almost no outside trade. Where would they have even gotten the genes to have different skin colors? Having them have different skin colors just doesn't make any sense. There aren't that many Hobbits to begin with, maybe a couple thousand from what we can read. That means little genetic diversity, so they'll share many traits between them all. When you consider this, and the fact that all the Hobbits we've seen so far have been white, it makes no sense for there to be "minority" Hobbits. Whitewashing a film is dumb, I'll give you that. But it's just as dumb to have minorities represented within a minority where those minorities don't exist. It's political correctness at its most useless, and it accomplishes nothing but making the people involved look stupid.
Hobbits may be their own race, but within that race, according to Tolkien, there are three different "breeds" (Harfoots, Stoors, and Fallohides) with phenotypic characteristics that range from "browner of skin" (Harfoots) to "fairer of skin and hair" (Fallohides). Don't ask me how Tolkien takes a limited gene pool and comes up with these three distinct breeds within a species, but come up with them he does.

And where have "all the[se] Hobbits we've seen so far [that] have been white" appeared? In Peter Jackson's film trilogy? So what? If Jackson had, for whatever reason and as is his artistic right to do, decided to cast Gary Coleman in the role of Bilbo Baggins, would we therefore conclude that a Took Hobbit's as Black as the Ace of Spades? Just because Jackson's Hobbits were all white doesn't mean that Tolkien's Hobbits were all white. The one doesn't necessarily follow from the other. Nor does it mean that for ever and ever thereafter all Hobbits which appear in any film must also be white. That don't make no sense, either.

Kenko

Jul 25, 2010
JDKJ said:
Kenko said:
JDKJ said:
PayJ567 said:
Octorok said:
PayJ567 said:

He'd maybe have a point if the Tooks were to be the only Hobbit clan depicted in the film. But that, I imagine, while possible, is unlikely. The Hobbits of the Shire, according to Tolkien, are of "three somewhat different breeds: Harfoots, Stoors and Fallohides. The Harfoots were browner of skin, smaller and shorter . . . " and the Harfoots make up the majority of the Shire's inhabitants. So, to cast a "brown-shaded tard" in the role of a Harfoot would, to me, make perfect sense (more so because she's "brown-shaded" and less so because she's an alleged "tard").
Well they were trying to get the part of a took were they not?. As for the other types of Hobbits. Im well aware of the darker shaded ones.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Kenko said:
JDKJ said:
Kenko said:
JDKJ said:
PayJ567 said:
Octorok said:
PayJ567 said:

Well they were trying to get the part of a took were they not?. As for the other types of Hobbits. Im well aware of the darker shaded ones.
double post

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Kenko said:
JDKJ said:
Kenko said:
JDKJ said:
PayJ567 said:
Octorok said:
PayJ567 said:

I don't see that kind of specificity in the OP's article. All I see is reference to the fact that they were "casting for extra hobbits" and a requirement that the actor auditioning "look like a hobbit." Far as I -- and, I think, you -- can tell, they were casting for Hobbits regardless of particular breed or clan of Hobbit.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
JDKJ said:
Daveman said:
I don't know. Maybe I'm just secretly racist but I can't imagine a pakistani hobbit or a black hobbit. I just picture them as white in my head. I don't know, do any black or non-white escapists think of hobbits as being of a certain ethnicity.

I mean, not the same thing really but nobody is cross-gender auditioning are they and that's not sexist.

Yeah, I suppose I meant subconciously now that I think about it.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Daveman said:
JDKJ said:
Daveman said:

Yeah, I suppose I meant subconciously now that I think about it.
If you do "just picture [Hobbits] as white in [your] head" despite the fact that Tolkien probably never pictured them as white in his head (and certainly doesn't in his writing describe them as being all white), then you may want to spend some time asking yourself why you subconsciously do that. The answers may be, if nothing else, self-enlightening. And time spent introspectively, like Buddha contemplating his navel, in an attempt to better understand why we do what we do is always time well-spent, I think.