Hobbit Casting Agent Fired For Dismissing Non-White Hobbits

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
This stuff has overblown AGAIN!

If there are people that live in north, it add realism that they are white and vice versa.
I think the movie will be destroyed by politically correct b's... I am not being racist here, I am just thinking things trough logically. Where do people who are light skinned, live natively? Up north where there is little sunlight, and where Dark skinned people live? Down south where there is LOTS of sunlight.

Well this might drop off my movie list, if they studio is required take Black actors in the name of political correctness.

Off note:
-If I do a movie thats titled "The white tribe", which tells a story of a tribe in which every person is Albino and how they survive. If I do not choose a black person to be in the movie, am I racist?

I am all in for equality, but it doesn't need to be taken to the level of stupid.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
JDKJ said:
SinisterGehe said:

If there are people that live in north, it add realism that they are white and vice versa.
I think the movie will be destroyed by politically correct b's... I am not being racist here, I am just thinking things trough logically. Where do people who are light skinned, live natively? Up north where there is little sunlight, and where Dark skinned people live? Down south where there is LOTS of sunlight.

Well this might drop off my movie list, if they studio is required take Black actors in the name of political correctness.

Off note:
-If I do a movie thats titled "The white tribe", which tells a story of a tribe in which every person is Albino and how they survive. If I do not choose a black person to be in the movie, am I racist?

I am all in for equality, but it doesn't need to be taken to the level of stupid.
At least you're being halfway honest and showing your true colors (except for the part about "I am not being racist here" because, whether you know it or not, you are being racist).
You can't be racist, because anyone can be racist about anything.
If I can't say certain words in Public, because they are reserved specially to this one ethnic group of people, it is racist against me. (See where I am going with this?). I can be called racist because I didn't open door to someone, or pick someone in to my Gym class soccer team. I can be called racist if I disagree with someone. But I am not allowed to call anyone who's different from me racist, because that makes me racist.

The whole word of racism in its context is stupid! What the hell is this "other human race"? Last time I checked we are are all humans at the genetical level. (I hope I am not being racist here because I don't include people with different skin color in to group of their own)

What I am sick of hearing is people of "different" gender, color, nationality, sexual orientation, religion, hair color, shoe size... Etc, crying for special treatment. WE ARE ALL HUMANS, we are all the same and equal, with the same kind of pathetic short life's that serve no meaning.
I don't give a crap of what you are, if you don't fit the slot that I am trying to fill, you don't fit, simple as that. There is no need to call me prejudicing bastard.

I am sorry, but I am just getting sick of this crap about racism/sexism/whatever. Everyone is equal and at the same time no one is equal. You can not assume everyone accepts everyone without questions asked, people have their opinions, they have right for it.

Still, I am sorry about this rant, but I am getting sick of how this how everyone is acting in this world. And I know, I can not change it!

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
SinisterGehe said:
JDKJ said:
SinisterGehe said:

Off note:

At least you're being halfway honest and showing your true colors (except for the part about "I am not being racist here" because, whether you know it or not, you are being racist).
If I can't say certain words in Public, because they are reserved specially to this one ethnic group of people, it is racist against me. (See where I am going with this?). I can be called racist because I didn't open door to someone, or pick someone in to my Gym class soccer team. I can be called racist if I disagree with someone. But I am not allowed to call anyone who's different from me racist, because that makes me racist.

The whole word of racism in its context is stupid! What the hell is this "other human race"? Last time I checked we are are all humans at the genetical level. (I hope I am not being racist here because I don't include people with different skin color in to group of their own)

What I am sick of hearing is people of "different" gender, color, nationality, sexual orientation, religion, hair color, shoe size... Etc, crying for special treatment. WE ARE ALL HUMANS, we are all the same and equal, with the same kind of pathetic short life's that serve no meaning.
I don't give a crap of what you are, if you don't fit the slot that I am trying to fill, you don't fit, simple as that. There is no need to call me prejudicing bastard.

I am sorry, but I am just getting sick of this crap about racism/sexism/whatever. Everyone is equal and at the same time no one is equal. You can not assume everyone accepts everyone without questions asked, people have their opinions, they have right for it.

Still, I am sorry about this rant, but I am getting sick of how this how everyone is acting in this world. And I know, I can not change it!
This is interesting. In just two posts, you've managed to go from "light skinned people live up north where there is little sunlight and dark skinned people live down south where there is lots of sunlight" to "we are all humans and are all the same and equal." Very interesting.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
JDKJ said:
SinisterGehe said:
JDKJ said:
SinisterGehe said:

Off note:

This is interesting. In just two posts, you've managed to go from "light skinned people live up north where there is little sunlight and dark skinned people live down south where there is lots of sunlight" to "we are all humans and are all the same and equal." Very interesting.
Can't you read between lines?
No matter are you light skinned or dark skinned you are equal.
Light skinned people Are 99% of time native to northern areas, and Dark skinned to southern areas, this has nothing to do with equality (By native I mean where your dominant genetic pool is from and to which it has "specialized" ). But if we look deep enough to our genetics we all trace back to south.

Can I ask you, what does my view of, "light skinned are native to north..." Has anything to do with my vision of all humans are equal? I got this feeling you just want to take a lead of my back and blame me to be racist bastard who hates everyone, call me a asshole and prove me that being good person from inside matters shit, that all people are equal assholes and deserve equal amount of hate?

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
JDKJ said:
randomfox said:
Those books have been out for upwards of 70 years. People can't claim ignorance on this stuff anymore, theres a statue of limitations on this kind of stuff.

Hobbits are white. The whole thing is supposed to be an allegory for Europe. There are non whites in Tolkin land, but they're from the East and ride elephants and stuff. Try out to be one of those, cuz if you end up hiring non white Hobbits all you're gonna do is piss off the fans for not being true to the books.
In The Hobbit there are characters who ride elephants? Can you provide a citation to The Hobbit that contains this mention of elephants being ridden? Or is this something that occurs only in your own imagination? Like the white Hobbits?

And, FYI, the Moors (a people from Northern Africa of Berber, Black African, and Arab descent) conquered and occupied for more than 800 years the Iberian Peninsula (an area of Europe comprised of what is now known as Spain and Portugal) during the late Medieval period. The influence of the Moors in that area continues to this day and is clearly found in the food, architecture, religion, etc., etc. Western Europe, whatever you may think it is an allegory for, is hardly "white."
This may jog your memory:
http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Mumakil

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Hosker said:
JDKJ said:
randomfox said:
Those books have been out for upwards of 70 years. People can't claim ignorance on this stuff anymore, theres a statue of limitations on this kind of stuff.

Hobbits are white. The whole thing is supposed to be an allegory for Europe. There are non whites in Tolkin land, but they're from the East and ride elephants and stuff. Try out to be one of those, cuz if you end up hiring non white Hobbits all you're gonna do is piss off the fans for not being true to the books.
In The Hobbit there are characters who ride elephants? Can you provide a citation to The Hobbit that contains this mention of elephants being ridden? Or is this something that occurs only in your own imagination? Like the white Hobbits?

And, FYI, the Moors (a people from Northern Africa of Berber, Black African, and Arab descent) conquered and occupied for more than 800 years the Iberian Peninsula (an area of Europe comprised of what is now known as Spain and Portugal) during the late Medieval period. The influence of the Moors in that area continues to this day and is clearly found in the food, architecture, religion, etc., etc. Western Europe, whatever you may think it is an allegory for, is hardly "white."
No, it doesn't. That's because the Mûmakil aren't mentioned in The Hobbit. They aren't mentioned until the second volume of the trilogy, The Two Towers.

Honestly, have you ever read a word of Tolkien? Aren't you just relying on the films for whatever you may about Tolkien's trilogy? Honestly?

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
JDKJ said:
Hosker said:
JDKJ said:
randomfox said:

No, it doesn't. That's because the Mûmakil aren't mentioned in The Hobbit. They aren't mentioned until the second volume of the trilogy, The Two Towers.

Honestly, have you ever read a word of Tolkien? Aren't you just relying on the films for whatever you may about Tolkien's trilogy? Honestly?
Have you? They are in the books as well you know.

sinterklaas

Dec 6, 2010
Hobbits are white, end of story. Tolkien describes Hobbits as Englishmen from his time. And last time I checked, Englishmen are WHITE.

I feel for that dude that got fired because of bullshit.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
sinterklaas said:
Hobbits are white, end of story. Tolkien describes Hobbits as Englishmen from his time. And last time I checked, Englishmen are WHITE.

"Englishmen are WHITE."

Wow. That's all I can say. So, I'll just say it again: Wow.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Seqgewehr said:
JDKJ said:
sinterklaas said:

"Englishmen are WHITE."

Englishmen are white, people that have darker skin that live in England may be legally English citizens by they are not ethnic Anglo-Saxon English.
Do they also have little pointy ears, never wear shoes on their hair-covered feet, and stand no taller than four and a half feet? If so, then you're absolutely right in claiming that Tolkien described Hobbits as Englishmen from his time. If not, then you can be described as an idiot.

Poptart Invasion

Nov 25, 2010
JDKJ said:
Seqgewehr said:
JDKJ said:
sinterklaas said:

"Englishmen are WHITE."

Englishmen are white, people that have darker skin that live in England may be legally English citizens by they are not ethnic Anglo-Saxon English.
Do they also have little pointy ears, never wear shoes on their hair-covered feet, and stand no taller than four and a half feet? If so, then you're absolutely right in claiming that Tolkien described Hobbits as Englishmen from his time. If not, then you can be described as an idiot.
yes, its a work of fantasy, but in the words of Neil Gaiman, "All fiction is fantasy of some sort."

besides, Tolkien was very clear that Middle Earth was essentially part of a prehistoric europe. disney may have gotten away with a caucasian with a tan playing a Persian prince, but that (like much of that movie) was pretty stupid and unbelievable to begin with.

you wouldnt have carrot top playing the protagonist of Roots, would you?

Poptart Invasion

Nov 25, 2010
actually, that last post of mine wasnt quite fair since it used a historical-fiction.

how about an anthromophisized version of the anansi stories, but with a few whiteys thrown in, in the name of equality.

or if biblo was played by a woman, or if gandalf was played by a twelve year old?

or a film of japanese mythology, with some roles played by russians, or africans, or indians (india indians, not native americans...well, you know what? native americans too!)

why was this any less ridiculous than those ideas?

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Poptart Invasion said:
actually, that last post of mine wasnt quite fair since it used a historical-fiction.

how about an anthromophisized version of the anansi stories, but with a few whiteys thrown in, in the name of equality.

or if biblo was played by a woman, or if gandalf was played by a twelve year old?

or a film of japanese mythology, with some roles played by russians, or africans, or indians (india indians, not native americans...well, you know what? native americans too!)

Because Tolkien, in his own words, describes the Harfoot Hobbits as being brown of skin and, therefore, to have an actor of brown skin cast in the role of a Harfoot Hobbit isn't at all ridiculous. Rather, it would be entirely in keeping with Tolkien's description of a Harfoot Hobbit. And therefore makes all your analogies above nonsensical comparisons.

Poptart Invasion

Nov 25, 2010
JDKJ said:
Poptart Invasion said:

Because Tolkien, in his own words, describes the Harfoot Hobbits as being brown of skin and, therefore, to have an actor of brown skin cast in the role of a Harfoot Hobbit isn't at all ridiculous. Rather, it would be entirely in keeping with Tolkien's description of a Harfoot Hobbit. And therefore makes all your analogies above nonsensical comparisons.
okay, you got me there. frankly, i love tolkien, but not enough of a buff (lol rhyme) to know about the Harfoot.

so how brown does he talk about their skin being? i mean, gillinhal (or however you spell it) was pretty brown in prince of persia, but that was just stupid at the other end of the spetrum.

il go ahead and look it up, and if it turns out that its more open to interpretation than i thought, il go ahead and admit that i was wrong, and tell you how my foot tastes.

The_Graff

Oct 21, 2009
does anyone know of any film casting with a prominent black role in it (Shaft 2: revenge of the killer Shaft, or something)? then we could storm the casting with hundreds of white guys and scream racism whne they say no.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Poptart Invasion said:
JDKJ said:
Poptart Invasion said:

okay, you got me there. frankly, i love tolkien, but not enough of a buff (lol rhyme) to know about the Harfoot.

so how brown does he talk about their skin being? i mean, gillinhal (or however you spell it) was pretty brown in prince of persia, but that was just stupid at the other end of the spetrum.

il go ahead and look it up, and if it turns out that its more open to interpretation than i thought, il go ahead and admit that i was wrong, and tell you how my foot tastes.
It's in the Prologue to The Hobbit (entitled "Concerning Hobbits"). He describes three distinct "breeds" of Hobbits (Harfoots, Fallohides, and Stoors) with the Harfoots being "browner of skin" than the Fallohides and Stoors and the Fallohides being "fairer of skin and hair" than the Stoors and Harfoots.

I appreciate the offer, but will politely decline being told how that foot in your mouth tastes. But thanks for the offer, anyway.

Poptart Invasion

Nov 25, 2010
First Impression: eh, im still not seeing it, THAT much. il go so far as to say its open to interpretation, but not enough for me to take my shoes off for a taste-test, anyway.

the harfoots are talked about being the greatest portion of the original settlers, and yet no one interprets their descendants around the time of the hobbit to even be as brown as a latino, being again, in prehistoric europe, at a time when only the most advanced civilizations could cover great distances, and only in preparation for the greatest military action middle-earth had seen in almost three thousand years.

though if were going to talk racism, what the hell was the hobbits problem? only three races, in a peaceful cultural melting pot for almost a millinia and a half, and each race retained distinguishable features? holy hell! what are you afraid of, hobbits, that a mixing of the races will result in some super-hobbit offspring the size of a paper clip, that goes from living in hobbit holes to mole holes, rarely venturing out in fear of cats and giant, bare, hairy-ass feet? jesus!

but anyway, open to interpretation? maybe, at a strech. did i really stick my foot in my mouth? only in speaking on a subject when i didnt know all the facts. however, a cursory view of those facts, with just a sprinkling of common sense, make me think my original stance wasnt all that off.
there was a whole lotta whitey in europe, and the only guy who could introduce any noticable ethnic diversity was a megalomaniacal military/political genius, and at the expense of resources that would make the US DoD ruin a change of pants.

sgwee

Dec 13, 2009
burzummaniac said:
PayJ567 said:
burzummaniac said:
PayJ567 said:
Fucking load of mother fucking horse shit. If they did a film about Africa and they where asked to find Africans it wouldn't be racist. THIS IS FUCKING HORSESHIT. You need white people to play the hobbit you need fucking black people to play black people.

You're not being discriminated against, if discrimination is such a big problem for you why don't you fuck off back to Africa I'll even pay for your fucking ticket.
Try not to swear so much! You can easily make your point without heinous writing!
Nawh swearing emphasises the point better than just saying it.
Good point.
it emphasises only on an emotional basis. not a logical one. swearing will get you nowhere unless used conservatively, not twice at every sentence.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Poptart Invasion said:
First Impression: eh, im still not seeing it, THAT much. il go so far as to say its open to interpretation, but not enough for me to take my shoes off for a taste-test, anyway.

the harfoots are talked about being the greatest portion of the original settlers, and yet no one interprets their descendants around the time of the hobbit to even be as brown as a latino, being again, in prehistoric europe, at a time when only the most advanced civilizations could cover great distances, and only in preparation for the greatest military action middle-earth had seen in almost three thousand years.

though if were going to talk racism, what the hell was the hobbits problem? only three races, in a peaceful cultural melting pot for almost a millinia and a half, and each race retained distinguishable features? holy hell! what are you afraid of, hobbits, that a mixing of the races will result in some super-hobbit offspring the size of a paper clip, that goes from living in hobbit holes to mole holes, rarely venturing out in fear of cats and giant, bare, hairy-ass feet? jesus!

but anyway, open to interpretation? maybe, at a strech. did i really stick my foot in my mouth? only in speaking on a subject when i didnt know all the facts. however, a cursory view of those facts, with just a sprinkling of common sense, make me think my original stance wasnt all that off.
there was a whole lotta whitey in europe, and the only guy who could introduce any noticable ethnic diversity was a megalomaniacal military/political genius, and at the expense of resources that would make the US DoD ruin a change of pants.
I'm not seeing what's so open to interpretation to clearly state that X is of browner skin than Y. The clear conclusion to be drawn is that X is of brown skin. Anything else just doesn't make a whole lotta sense.