Hobbit Movies Finally Receive Studio Greenlight

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Brutal Peanut said:
If they can make the X-Box game that close to the Novel (not saying it's the same), they better not mess up the movie. >_>
Considering the people who were involved with LOTR are also mostly involved with Hobbit, the odds are low it'll be screwed up.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010

[HEADING=2]Hell, it's about time.[/HEADING]​

Well it's good to hear that they've finally made some steps forward on this movie. The Hobbit was the only Lord of the Rings book that I could get into and I think it would make for a very entertaining film. The Battle of the Five Armies will be especially cool! I'm also happy that interspersed elven day-dreams won't make an occurrence this time around.

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
Not that I had a problem with Guillermo Del Toro, but I'm glad to see Peter Jackson back in the director chair. I liked the LOTR trilogy, so why shake things up with a new director.

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
008Zulu said:
The irony is all three listed confirmed here were barely in The Hobbit. Come to think of it, was Elrond in The Hobbit? I dont recall him being so.
one chapter, one chapter

and i think its too bad that sylvester mccoy isnt going to be bilbo, because i think he would do that very well

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
Five-hundred million dollars?!

Are you f**king kidding me?

What kind of movie needs that much money?!

Transformers cost 300!

Dark Knight took 185!

District 9 was made for 30!

Do they have money-burning parties on back-lots now?

Seriously, man; what is even in The Hobbit that requires a budget that large? Half the book is Bilbo and a bunch of dwarves marching around and camping o_O

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
They better make it in New Zealand or I will boycott rage. Funny how some people beat the Newsroom!

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
I'm so very happy some actors reprise their roles.
Let's hope it turns out good. Something like The Hobbit certainly deserves a good movie.

antman9000

Jun 13, 2008
DragonChi said:
the first half last paragraph sounded conflicted. It should have read as...

"The original plan was to make The Hobbit as a single movie. That plan was scrapped when the writing team, which included Del Toro and Jackson, realized that there was more to the book than would fit in just one film.So they decided to create a second film that tied it into the Lord of the Rings trilogy...."

apart from that though, I am very happy these movies are a go. I am genuinely stoked. However I wish Del Toro was still involved. It saddens me that he had to drop out.
no how it was written is correct. the original plan was for the hobbit to be one movie, and make another tying it to the lord of the rings, but they realised that there was to much stuff in the hobbit for 1 movie so they had to scrap the plan for the second tie-in film and instead split the hobbit in half.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
I'm going to live by the rule that if you have nothing nice to say, you shouldn't say anything at all. I'll leave it by saying they wont get a penny from me

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
teknoarcanist said:
Five-hundred million dollars?!

Are you f**king kidding me?

What kind of movie needs that much money?!

Transformers cost 300!

Dark Knight took 185!

District 9 was made for 30!

Do they have money-burning parties on back-lots now?

Seriously, man; what is even in The Hobbit that requires a budget that large? Half the book is Frodo and a bunch of dwarves marching around and camping o_O
That was Bilbo. But seriously I agree, most of the book was walking through forests and plains. How the hell do you spend 250 million (per movie) on a friggin' forest with 8 midgets and an old guy.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
Sparrow said:
Logan Westbrook said:
...the two movies will film back to back using digital 3D cameras and have been pencilled in for release at some point in 2012.
Crap, we'll all be dead before it's released then.
Actually, assuming it comes out before December 21st, we'll be fine.
I'm really happy the old Gandalf is back. I mean, look at Dumbledore, does he die after every movie?

The 500 million is clearly for all the pipe-weed.

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
My faith has been restored and I am once again looking forwards to this.

I am so glad that they decided to ditch the unrelated 2nd movie in favour of a fuller version of the book...

I hope they can do justice to the meeting of the party in Bilbo's hole.. I'll be looking for Nori and Dori's hoods side by side on the coat rack.

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
I like the Hobbit book way more than any of the trilogy so this should be a decent movie glad to hear this. When all 5 movie are we can throw an all day Lord of the Ringathon!