Hobbit Movies Finally Receive Studio Greenlight

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
this isnt my name said:
Agreed the only real fighting was when smaug attacked and the goblins. And thats the last parts iirc.
Umm... this is all you are interested in? Fighting?...... jeez :(

chickenlord

May 14, 2008
they were actually going to make the movie with a non-peter jackson director?! thank god that changed...

laststandman

Jun 27, 2009
I am so darn glad that Jackson is directing this. Not because I think he is the best director ever (although he is up there) but because I wouldn't want a Tolkien tale directed by anyone else.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
2012!?! I have to wait until 2012 to see this awesomeness!?!

GAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!

But nonetheless, it's awesome that it's going to happen.

DarkNazgul

Sep 29, 2009
"I wish the (movie) had (already) come to me. I wish none of this [delay] had happened."
"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is (when) to (see) the (movie) that is given to you."

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
Jackson directing another movie based on LOTR? =)
TWO Hobbit Movies? =D

3D? =\

Hope they get that part right, and by that I mean release it in normal mode, too, so I can watch it without getting my eyes messed up.

Spaec

Oct 23, 2009
Nice to see this starting to pick up steam again. Having been discussed since the original trilogy was released, hasn't it been a bit like the Duke Nukem Forever of Middle-Earth?

Narcogen

Rampant.
Jul 26, 2006
Traun said:
teknoarcanist said:
Five-hundred million dollars?!

Are you f**king kidding me?

What kind of movie needs that much money?!

Transformers cost 300!

Dark Knight took 185!

District 9 was made for 30!

Do they have money-burning parties on back-lots now?

Seriously, man; what is even in The Hobbit that requires a budget that large? Half the book is Frodo and a bunch of dwarves marching around and camping o_O
That was Bilbo. But seriously I agree, most of the book was walking through forests and plains. How the hell do you spend 250 million (per movie) on a friggin' forest with 8 midgets and an old guy.
I assume the 500M figure is for both halves, so if you consider each a single film, that makes it 250M each, between the budget of Dark Knight and Transformers.

2) Despite being a shorter, tighter story, I tend to doubt the Hobbit is going to require fewer effects shots per minute than LOtR. There are more dwarves shot together in the Hobbit than there generally are hobbits and/or dwarves in the trilogy, and that will require again the mix of manipulation, body doubles, and camera trickery to create the proper sense of scale against human characters. The stable of fantastic creatures to be created is not much less extensive than the trilogy's: Trolls, goblins, Beorn, wolves, eagles, wood-elves, spiders, Gollum, and finally Smaug. About the only thing that the trilogy has that the Hobbit doesn't need to portray are the Nazgul. The variety of locations is also not much thinner: the Shire, Rivendell, the Misty Mountains (mountain passes and caves), Mirkwood, Lake Town, and finally the Lonely Mountain. While the trilogy visits two human inhabitations (Rohan and Gondor) the Hobbit visits only one (Lake town) and both visit two Elf inhabitations (Rivendell and Lothlorien, and Rivendell and the Elf city inside Mirkwood).

Bravo 21

May 11, 2010
ShadowsofHope said:
008Zulu said:
The irony is all three listed confirmed here were barely in The Hobbit.
Gandalf was one of the main characters in the Hobbit book. He was with Bilbo the entire time.

..Can't remember on Gollum's behalf, but Elrond was certainly in there as well.
gollum did play a part,
really hope that this movie lives up to the book

copycatalyst

Nov 10, 2009
bbch said:
I hope they get the 3d aspect right...
Yeah, when I got to that part I felt a bit of trepidation as well. It could be cool, but I think plain ol' 2D will probably age better.

I am glad to hear that they wouldn't try to make an in-between movie to tie it more tightly to LotR. I can't see that being done in any way that would please the fans.

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
Awesome! I can't wait, it has been a really, really long time...like, hopefully the whole LotR phase hasn't washed over everyone.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Sparrow said:
Logan Westbrook said:
...the two movies will film back to back using digital 3D cameras and have been pencilled in for release at some point in 2012.
Crap, we'll all be dead before it's released then.
We have to hope for a summer release, impossibly a double film summer release, both at once. Because the end of the world 2012 isn't really suppose to happen until December 12, 2012, 12/12/12.

Hopefully, I will be jumping up and down on that day laughing at all the people that think it will happen. Oops, looks like we are all still here.

this isnt my name said:
crepesack said:
I'm not really sure The Hobbit would be a very good "epic movie" considering it was a lot more lighthearted than the main trilogy.
Agreed the only real fighting was when smaug attacked and the goblins. And thats the last parts iirc.
Seriously? Come on, the Battle of the Five Armies! What is more epic than that? It would be just as big or bigger than any battle from The Lord of the Rings.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Bravo 21 said:
ShadowsofHope said:
008Zulu said:
The irony is all three listed confirmed here were barely in The Hobbit.
Gandalf was one of the main characters in the Hobbit book. He was with Bilbo the entire time.

..Can't remember on Gollum's behalf, but Elrond was certainly in there as well.
gollum did play a part,
really hope that this movie lives up to the book
That is what I am worried about. Will Peter Jackson do right by the book this time? He left out some stuff that would have been great to see in the Lord of the Rings movies, like Tom Bombadil, that would have been fun to see.

Also, Jackson had problems with adding things to the story. Yes it was epic seeing the elves come to aid at the Battle of Helms Deep, but it was stupid to put that in because it didn't happen in the book.

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
Whoo!! Loved the book, and I'm really looking forward to seeing their take on the story. Trolls, dwarfs, hobbits and a wizard... This is gonna be awesome.

Ithikial

Jan 21, 2010
Best news I've heard all day! (Peter you can leave the 3D thing in the bag if you want!)

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Ok, so they're finally making it. Great!

3D? Not so much.. I mean, implement it fittingly and it's alright, but just doing it because everyone else does it, then I must ask you to take a long thought about what you're doing..

Velocirapture07

Jan 19, 2009
3D!!!! NOOOOOOOO!!!!! I hate this new trend, it's so stupid. I really hope there's a 2D version for theaters too.