Hogwarts Legacy - Whimsical Wizardry

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

Not just Hogwarts Legacy, the entire series.

So, basically, every HP game ever produced is banned from streaming, whereas something like God of War, a series that routinely features graphic dismemberment, gets...only a single game banned.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
And hardly a post worth reading. I keep skimming hoping someone will mention the game or at least discuss something HP related, but no.

That's pretty much it. I don't really do the whole friend thing, but it would just be exhausting to deal with someone who would make accusations of me based on what video games I buy. I just would not want to deal with a 'friend' who is going to be that manipulative and controlling about what I do.

Like, don't be stupid, it's a major media franchise, of course the money is going to evil rich buggers, doesn't it always? It's also going to a bunch of average people who made the game as well.
I posted something game-related, but it was a while ago. Well, I guess not really but the point is it’s back on page five.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

So, basically, every HP game ever produced is banned from streaming, whereas something like God of War, a series that routinely features graphic dismemberment, gets...only a single game banned.
This is nothing new for GDQ. What used to be a place for gamers of all types, now is a "safe haven" for anyone that is trans or part of the gay, lesbian, & bi community. The cost of being jackass, they who fight monsters, and being over sensitive to anything. You should see the guy that literally almost got banned for making a Devil Trigger joke, when playing DMC4 SE.

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Actually, no. Here ya go.

Want me to keep going? Cause we can do this all day long Terminal. This is the "gift" that keeps on giving so maybe you should check yourself and do some introspection before acting like a snooty asshat again. Learn about what empathy means.
I'm not getting into discussing how shitty a lot of that stuff is, but I'd like to point out most of those don't fit the brief. Most of those are not people saying threats/harassment are deserved.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I may have got myself into a mental tangle here (I've consumed so much caffeine all my blood has fled the surface), so could anyone tell me if this is any different to buying BrainJuice or MuscleFunk or whatever from Alex Jones? I genuinely am not sure of what the difference would be, but I am also very cold.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I'm not getting into discussing how shitty a lot of that stuff is, but I'd like to point out most of those don't fit the brief. Most of those are not people saying threats/harassment are deserved.
I thought that when I read the first few, most of them were just explaining why people are upset? But then I saw it was all tiny anime girls in the threads and I just couldn't be bothered dealing with a world I find so ... well ... iffy.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yeah, I did. I never read it, though. Or saw the movie. Wait, what was a movie called Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them actually about then, if not that?
The people behind it saw the Star Wars prequels and decided their franchise needed some of that.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada

Playing a game that glorifies violence, murder, and hate is one thing, playing a game that had someone tangentially related to its creation that the internet decided they didn't like decades later is something completely different.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Playing a game that glorifies violence, murder, and hate is one thing, playing a game that had someone tangentially related to its creation that the internet decided they didn't like decades later is something completely different.
I like that you talk about hate (and also violence and murder, which are the result) and imply that's not what Rowling is glorifying.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Well, voting would be one thing.
I'm going to tell you a secret. The people in your political system who tell you they are pro-trans are mostly lying. Deep down, most of them believe (as most people do, regardless of politics) that trans people are mentally ill or delusional. They pretend otherwise because they want to be seen as tolerant, because they understand that there is a societal standard of tolerance and if they don't meet it they will be dismissed as bigoted.

And that is why people like JK Rowling are so destructive, because if you give those people license to say what they actually believe, if you are able to reassure them that they can say whatever awful, complete uninformed garbage actually fills their defective brains, you end up with the situation we are currently in the UK, where there are no parties that could remotely be described as pro-trans, where hateful and bigoted statements about trans people are basically everywhere in politics, where the far-right has essentially succeeded in building bridges into every political party by exploiting a hatred of trans people, and where voting no longer matters or accomplishes anything.

Trans people rely on a very thin veneer of civility, and once that civility breaks it is gone and all you can do at that point is wait for a generation to die. You may not be there yet, and you may not feel this is a "major issue" worthy of your attention. That is not the case here, and by the time you are capable of recognizing that it is not the case in your political system it will already be too late.

I am not going to pirate a game. Do you really consider that more moral than buying it?
Yes.

After all, any harm done to any innocent person by your decision to pirate a game rather than buying it is going to be, as you put it, completely insignificant.

But i don't want you to. I don't care.
I know you don't care. I always knew you didn't care and frankly, I'm glad you've given up pretending that you care, because it's annoying watching you pretend to be a good person.

You know how deeply fucked up it is to value your ability to pretend to be a wizard over my ability to recieve medical treatment. That's why you need to excuse yourself by pretending that's not what you're doing, it's why you need to try and quantify the precise fraction of a number of trans people you've killed so you can feel better that that number is, by your estimation, negligibly low. You need me to tell you you're not at fault, that you're just a small part of a bigger machine and you're not responsible for what happens, but some part of you will always know that's a lie.

But if you want to pretend otherwise and live in that lie for a while, then fine. Go play your disappointing wizard game. If you don't care what I think, then that should be enough.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I suppose this is the part where you expect every trans person to apologize for this?
I expect you to acknowledge it's existence! I've talked with trans people online that hate what's happening here, I don't blame them for this, at most I've asked some to keep just saying that they don't like it. Just acknowledge it! The bottling up and han waving helps no one, it just causes pressure to build up that WILL have to be released at some point and it will be an explosion if some of isn't let out gradually and safely.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
The bottling up and han waving helps no one, it just causes pressure to build up that WILL have to be released at some point and it will be an explosion if some of isn't let out gradually and safely.
What makes you think that's not what is happening already? It didn't occur to you that the backlash is specifically because trans people have been expected to suffer in silence for whole lifetimes? The difference is that now they have platforms to say, "You know what? Fuck all'a y'all."

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I expect you to acknowledge it's existence! I've talked with trans people online that hate what's happening here, I don't blame them for this, at most I've asked some to keep just saying that they don't like it. Just acknowledge it! The bottling up and han waving helps no one, it just causes pressure to build up that WILL have to be released at some point and it will be an explosion if some of isn't let out gradually and safely.
Ah, so every time a cis person says or does something transphobic, every other cis person is obliged to condemn it?

(Yes, that's more or less copied and pasted from similar complaints about Muslims not denouncing radicals)

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Trans people rely on a very thin veneer of civility, and once that civility breaks it is gone and all you can do at that point is wait for a generation to die. You may not be there yet, and you may not feel this is a "major issue" worthy of your attention. That is not the case here, and by the time you are capable of recognizing that it is not the case in your political system it will already be too late.
Don't really think so. Our conservatives have stopped actively pursueing anti-trans politics for coalition reasons years ago and now can't reasonably go back on that. That leaves far right who are utter pariahs and the endlessly infighting far left, where the TERFs and Putin-lovers are. That is not going to become mainstream.
That also means that trans rights, whether pro or con, are not exactly vote winners.
I know you don't care. I always knew you didn't care and frankly, I'm glad you've given up pretending that you care, because it's annoying watching you pretend to be a good person.
This sounds so ... dishonest. I never gave up pretending anything. Never claimed to a trans activist.
That's why you need to excuse yourself by pretending that's not what you're doing, it's why you need to try and quantify the precise fraction of a number of trans people you've killed so you can feel better that that number is, by your estimation, negligibly low
Don't make me laugh.

I don't need to fabricate an excuse for myself because i am not getting that wizard game in the first place. It's expensive, reportedly a horrible port on PC, has pretty high system requirements, is reportedly not very innovative and i have a huge backlock. So "making excuses" was never relevant for me in this discussion.

But as you have now shown to be far more s shallow a person than suspected. Oh, well.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Don't really think so. Our conservatives have stopped actively pursueing anti-trans politics for coalition reasons decades ago and now can't reasonably go back on that. That leaves far right who utter pariahs and the endlessly infighting far left, where the TERFs and Putin-lovers are. That is not going to become mainstream.
That also means that rights, whether pro or con, are not exactly vote winners.
This sounds so ... dishonest. I never gave up pretending anything. Never claimed to a trans activist.

But as you have now shown to be far more s shallow a person than suspected. Oh, well.
You more or less just proved Terminal's point just now. I hope you do realize that. "Not my problem".

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
You know how deeply fucked up it is to value your ability to pretend to be a wizard over my ability to recieve medical treatment. That's why you need to excuse yourself by pretending that's not what you're doing, it's why you need to try and quantify the precise fraction of a number of trans people you've killed so you can feel better that that number is, by your estimation, negligibly low. You need me to tell you you're not at fault, that you're just a small part of a bigger machine and you're not responsible for what happens, but some part of you will always know that's a lie.
Out of interest, how do you feel about people buying Coca Cola or Nestle products? Reason to end contact/friendship, or a demonstration that those people are callous/uncaring?

Genuinely not trying to get into whataboutism here, I'm legitimately interested in the answer.

?? Are trans activists the only ones who you'd expect to care about these issues?

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble