HOLY FUCK THIS OPPRESSIVE SHIT IN MY OWN STATE?!?!(Lol Australia)

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
I genuinely feel sorry for Australia. They've had so many things banned, and now they don't have freedom of speech.

Wow.

I would say you're headed for Communism, but the guy before me swiped it first. =.=

Wardnath

Dec 27, 2009
Old Trailmix said:
Why is Australia getting all Communist all of a sudden?

This is just quite silly.
Oi.

You lot are trying to black out the entire Internet.

I'd be careful about throwing stones if I were you.

cheese_wizington

Aug 16, 2009
Wardnath said:
Old Trailmix said:

Oi.

I wasn't trying to be demeaning or anything, I'm just stating something.

Wardnath

Dec 27, 2009
Old Trailmix said:
Wardnath said:
Old Trailmix said:

Oi.

True, but pointing out our flaws when yours are so much worse is.... a bit silly, don't you think?

Edit: Oh, and stop acting like this covers the entire continent, it's limited to one state, for the love of God. Which I don't even live in.

cheese_wizington

Aug 16, 2009
Wardnath said:
Old Trailmix said:
Wardnath said:
Old Trailmix said:

Oi.

True, but pointing out our flaws when yours are so much worse is.... a bit silly, don't you think?

Edit: Oh, and stop acting like this covers the entire continent, it's limited to one state, for the love of God. Which I don't even live in.
It looks like your just picking a fight with someone for no reason. I didn't mean anything by it, so please stop going on about it.

Wardnath

Dec 27, 2009
Old Trailmix said:
Wardnath said:
Old Trailmix said:
Wardnath said:
Old Trailmix said:

Oi.

It looks like your just picking a fight with someone for no reason. I didn't mean anything by it, so please stop going on about it.
Yeah, okay, I'll calm down now. >_>

It just pisses me off how badly these things get blown out of proportion.

XD

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I get the feeling it's if you shout out that sort of thing so a ton of people hear it, not if people use it in everyday conversation.

Blackjack 222

Dec 2, 2009
They aren't trying to be communist, they're trying to prevent any fun/risk of someone growing up wrong in Australia.
Basically being more uptight than a Republican working for FOX news with a 75 foot stick up his ass

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
brandon237 said:
RhomCo said:
brandon237 said:
Why can I just see an Aussie cop hiding in a dustbin next to a group of twenty-something year olds?
Because you have no idea what a bunch of lazy cocks most Aussie filth are?
I'm assuming you don't like your country...

Besides, they can't be that lazy if they are willing to go to the trouble of creating a whole new law that takes time and money and effort.
Filth = police. Old slang.

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
TheSentinel said:
Billion Backs said:
THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

THEN THEY CAME for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up.
Sure, this poem is about Nazi regime and stuff, but the general feeling is very applicable here.
No, it's not.
Why not? You do know that short responses like this one can be very easily considered trolling.

And yes, this poem totally applies. Most people don't swear too much and they don't really care too much about swearing. But if you let someone control your speech, even the part some people view as less important, they won't stop. First it's the swearing, then it's all the political incorrectness, and then welcome, 1984!

fgdfgdgd

May 9, 2009
slowpoke999 said:
Trust me the swearing is completely relevant. In the Queensland state of Australia they are now giving out fines for SWEARING in public, $100 fines to be exact.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/7403159/qld-cops-to-issue-fines-for-swearing-in-public/

I post alot of shit Australia does(mostly involving Gaming and Internet) but this is the first time it is appearing in just my state, and in real life to. I think I found the problem guys, it's me.

That's right, it is me who is causing all this shit in Australia.Why?Every single time a story like this pops up I say to myself,"I'm going to leave Australia if this shit keeps happening" but I pussy out and keep putting it off. So as soon as I turn of legal age I'm off this fucking island but now I at least can feel good about it, if I leave I may break the curse or whatever. Because if I stay and they implement 'mandatory tracking chips' in our brains which fine us our soul$9001 I'll have only myself to blame.

I'm totally serious btw, I'm not a fan of censorship and don't want to have anything to di with a country that prohibits free speech.
dispite common belief Australia has no freedom of speech in place that is souly for that right because we have no constatution like America does, however ours is upheld in our legal system through various laws that protect our basic rights, those rights are not extended to swearing as it is offensive and generally not a good thing, they have all the right in the world to do this, and frankly, i'm glad they are,

as an Australian of legal age, i'm so proud to see that the gorvernment are doing something about the foul mouthed little shits i see every day, swearing and having no respect for anything but themselves and their own little world, and before you go on, i'm 20 next month, not some old git on a rant, frankly, i'd like to see this law nation wide, but hell, we might have a generation of foul mouthed little bogans move elsewhere, wouldn't that be a shame? (heads up to the Americans: a bogan is the Australain version of white trash)

TheSentinel

May 10, 2008
Billion Backs said:
TheSentinel said:
Billion Backs said:

THEN THEY CAME for me
Sure, this poem is about Nazi regime and stuff, but the general feeling is very applicable here.
No, it's not.
Why not? You do know that short responses like this one can be very easily considered trolling.

And yes, this poem totally applies. Most people don't swear too much and they don't really care too much about swearing. But if you let someone control your speech, even the part some people view as less important, they won't stop. First it's the swearing, then it's all the political incorrectness, and then welcome, 1984!
First of all, yes, I noticed you either reported me or something, so I edited my original post to elaborate. Let me do it again here.

A comparison to Nazi Germany is, in no way, applicable here.

You are undermining exactly what made Nazi Germany terrible. They murdered MILLIONS of people. They invaded several countries and locked Europe into a brutal war for the second time in just over two decades.

This is a hundred dollar fine on swearing.

See the unreasonable comparison here?

Also, your 1984 reference is cute.

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
TheSentinel said:
Billion Backs said:
TheSentinel said:
Billion Backs said:

THEN THEY CAME for me
No, it's not.

First of all, yes, I noticed you either reported me or something, so I edited my original post to elaborate. Let me do it again here.

A comparison to Nazi Germany is, in no way, applicable here.

You are undermining exactly what made Nazi Germany terrible. They murdered MILLIONS of people. They invaded several countries and locked Europe into a brutal war for the second time in just over two decades.

This is a hundred dollar fine on swearing.

See the unreasonable comparison here?

Also, your 1984 reference is cute.
Clearly you haven't read the poem.

If you let things that don't really bother you be taken away, sooner or later it'll be your time to be taken away and by then there won't be anyone to help you.

And there was NO Nazi Germany during World War 1. Nazi Germany existed from 1933 to 1945, when governed by the NSDAP and Adolf Hitler (obviously). So they couldn't exactly lock Europe in a war twice, considering that World War 1 ended more then a decade before the coming of power of the Nazi party (which in my opinion is majorly Allies' fault, too).

Before Nazis showed up and ruined the reputation for Germany, it was a pretty awesome country.

Now, forget about Nazis, and consider this. What constitutes "swearing"? There are plenty of things some people might find offensive that others would not. What list of words, exactly, be considered swearing? And consider that our common swears very often depend heavily on contest - they aren't necessarily used as an insult (which can be considered assault in many countries).

By putting a fine or any other punishment on saying what constitutes, basically, things "they" don't like, "they" control the speech of those around. "They", of course, are the government or some other authority. Should swearing be considered just a list of words like "****", "shit", "fuck", and so on completely outside of context? Or should something be considered a swear because it offends someone?

Because for one thing, "Christ" would be pretty offensive to some Christians (granted, most of modern Christians are fucking phonies when it comes to all of their rules, which is arguably slightly better than if they all were "for real").

If they just have a fixed number of terms, people will just come up with new ones. Languages evolve, y'know. If they go down the other road, they might end up slowly censoring everything because offensiveness and public misbehaviour can be very subjective things. And if it goes down to the point where various religious or political groups are "defended" by that law, it's not a far leap to simply restricting all criticism of current political party/situation.

And then you can hardly prove that someone swore unless everything is always being recorded in good quality, which allows plenty of opportunity for pissed off cops to just oppress the populace for the lulz.

So it not only prohibits your speech (fairly unreasonably), it's a bad system in the first place. Because as I said before, either what constitutes swearing is a fixed list - and the slang would simply evolve to use other terms not on the list, which would get commonly accepted pretty quickly if the law is in actual use... Or the police have the authority to simply pick and choose any word on context alone.

And I hope you can see the problems with that. The first case scenario simply doesn't work and doesn't do shit, the second cast scenario leads down the slippery slope of corruption and censorship.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
scotth266 said:
BonsaiK said:
Having said that, if you swear at a police officer you're a tool and probably deserve a $100 fine just for being stupid so I can see their point of view too. It would be a better law in the hands of a more reasonable police force than the QLD one.
That's just the thing: who is this new legislation targeting?

Obviously it can't be the general public: no sane officer is going to start handing out tickets every time he hears someone cuss off-handedly when they stub their toes/spill their coffee/whatever. Odds are this is only going to be used on

A) People swearing at the police during arrests/questioning (in which case you deserve what you get.)
B) People being extremely obnoxious over a long period of time to everyone in public (as in, something similar to a low-level disorderly conduct charge.)

Heck, the article linked explicitly mentions that this is targeting "drunken louts" and the like.
This is all true, however the Queensland police are notoriously corrupt, so you can safely add to that list:

C} anyone who the QLD police feels like giving a hard time
D) anyone who is aboriginal
E) anyone who happens to be in the same general area as a police officer who hasn't filled his quotas for the night

fgdfgdgd

May 9, 2009
Billion Backs said:
a few things:
#1: Godwin's Law, look it up then shut up.
#2: he was attacking the absuirdity of your comparison of the hollocaust to fining people for being offensive in public (which there are laws against in almost all western countries)
#3: using the word Christ in a context other than religion is a swear word, has been for a long time.
#4: you may not know this, but most weastern countries founded their laws based on the bible.
#5: using "they" and "them" makes you sound more like a conspiracy theorist than having a valid argument, censorship of "everything" is just as absurd as your comparisons, yes, language evolves, but so does the law, which is what people seem to be missing here, it's one thing to stop people swearing but it's another thing to round them up, tie them two-by-two and shoot them.
#6: i can never see a context nor time where we'd evolve to have "****" and "fuck" as being acceptable unoffensive words, and a person that could, is as nieve as they are stupid.

this is meerly a law to stop people being offensive in public, it isn't a grand scheme to censor our opinions or make us more obediant, it is simply to make the world a less repulsive place, or rather, make people less repulsive, this is one Australian that is happy about it, and even wants it nation wide, but hey, if you can't express yourself without swearing, then your vocabulary is seriously lacking, not your freedoms.