Homefront Sells 375,000 on Launch Day

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
I played this at PAX EAST, I was really excited about getting to see how it felt.

Then I felt the crushing reality that this game is CoD. It doesn't even try to play differently, it is literally a carbon copy.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
TestECull said:
Homefront's excellent multiplayer experience, combined with our commitment to dedicated servers, make this a must-have purchase for gamers," added Vice President Danny Bilson. "Due to the strong and growing demand for Homefront's multiplayer, we continue to add dedicated server capacity. We are confident that the large-scale multiplayer maps featuring 32 players, vehicles, infantry and drones, will continue to be a major draw for the huge audience of FPS gamers looking for a new experience over the coming months.
So how 'bout a good campaign there, buddy? Oh wait there isn't one, because if there was you wouldn't be bragging about the MP so hard.
This is why I'm not getting it at the moment. Good that a new studio is taking chances with a new IP, and I'm glad they're seeing some success, but I play shooters primarily for the single-player campaign, and I'm not paying full price for a game that doesn't have one worth it.
Same here, I really wish shooters would go back to having an awesome campaign and stop focusing so much on MP

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
SteelStallion said:
Andy Chalk said:
That's especially true given the less-than-thrillsville reviews that accompanied the game's launch, including a 3/5 score at The Escapist [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8718-Homefront-Review] and a low-70s aggregate at <a
It saddens me to see how high our standards have become. I remember back when 70 was a solid score, and is a recommended purchase for people into that sort of genre. These days, no one, not even the companies themselves, are satisfied unless they get a 95 aggregate on metacritic.

Honestly, a low 70's is a solid rating. People avoid games in this range because their perception of what's "good" is cluttered with triple AAA blockbuster shooter extravaganzas that get more money thrown at them during production than I could imagine.

I've picked up and enjoyed a lot of games in that range.
True, but sadly you're forgetting about score inflation.
I've been gaming since the 90s, and while there were some games that absolutely deserved 90+ ratings (like WC3:TFT), there were also some really good games that only made it into the 70s due to various flaws, like Silent Hill or Master of Orion. What we have today is an artificial inflation of AAA titles into the 11/10 range, which is usually completely undeserved, which naturally pushes other ratings up as well. While a 70 used to be a mark of a solid game or a game with potential hindered by various bugs and other problems, it is now the mark of a mediocre knock-off with some glaring faults. If you want to reset the scale, subtract 7 from every score in the 90s, 11 from every score in the 80s, and 15 from every score in the 70s to get something you would have an easier time judging. I'm guessing you're one of those old gamer dudes (like me, everything was better 10 years ago damnit!), so I can understand how you arrived at your point.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Therumancer said:
Interesting, since I was just reading a rather un-surprising article about how the game flopped so hard that it dropped THQ's stock value by a signfigant margin.

Makes me wonder which report is actually true, if the game is actually selling well, that surprises me, and makes me wonder what the actual truth is about the value of their company at the moment.
Stock took a nosedive due to the mediocre reaction the games been getting. It had nothing to do with sales. THQ had even said it was there 'most pre-ordered game ever'

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Dr. Pepper Unlimited said:
I'm glad it did decently, or at least well enough to bring in a profit. Hopefully this will encourage THQ to polish a better sequel, or a more polished FPS in general. I might look into Homefront when the price drops a bit.

Also...what?

Product of whatever is behind the pi N times. Since whatever-is-behind-the-Pi is not a function which depends on the index, it is simply whatever-is-behind-the-Pi raised to the Nth power. Try typing that and see if it accepts it!

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
sargeant15 said:
nesto said:
beema said:
Interesting, poor reviews but good sales. Looks like the discrepancy between critics and general audience strikes again. It's starting to feel like the movie industry.

toanewe lorrain
what "poor reviews"?

Seriously, I don't get how a lot of people consider a 72 average on Metacritic "poor".
I seriously don't get why people care so much about Metacritic.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I reiterate my claim that this is only a multiplayer shooter, and the retarded single player was put in there to generate buzz and headlines.

Which it did.

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
Damn, not that I'm contributing, I plan on buying it. Just not right now as there are a lot of titles released lately that I want first.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Sounds like they should be done with it by now so I wonder what they thought of it.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
The Rogue Wolf said:
This is why I'm not getting it at the moment. Good that a new studio is taking chances with a new IP,
Kaos isn't a new studio, they made the pretty-damn-good Frontlines: Fuel of War, which as far as I could tell was an online-only Ghost Recon sort of FPS crossed with a Battlefield 1942 vibe, with an interesting "frontline" mechanic that pushed up the battle to meet the actual front lines as teams pushed forward/fell back.

So no, this is not a new studio. These are experienced people. I say, THQ dropped the ball in the marketing of this one.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Lost me as a customer when I found out I could beat the SP in less than 5 hours (I beat COD in 4.5 (while looking at the scenery and stuff)).

Ill buy for $10 when steam puts it on sale in 6 months.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
beema said:
Interesting, poor reviews but good sales. Looks like the discrepancy between critics and general audience strikes again. It's starting to feel like the movie industry.

toanewe lorrain
well, to be fair most main stream audiencess (the ones that dont keep up with news or reviews) only heard that it was a game about Korea invading the US, that sounds fairly new in concept and i have heard from different guys and friends that bought it that they thought it was going to be better (campaign wise) but that MP was amazingly good (which most of that same crown only care about is the MP)

its going to gain steam in a few weeks, once a friend starts playing it and tell people about it, they will probably buy it, and by that time the price will have lowered from the actuall price

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
The problem is, even though it may be a new IP, it's nothing new or even really inovative. It's not attempting to revolutionise a genre, nor is it trying to revive old experiences (Duke Nukem, Bulletstorm etc), it's just squat firmly in the middle ground.

People will buy it, but it will soon be forgotten. I mean, just look what happened to the MoH reboot...

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
If FOX News was a videogame, it would be Homefront.

...I still wonder how stupid one can be to believe the jingoism that a nation which is starving could invade us. They are right to hate us.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Andy of Comix Inc said:
The Rogue Wolf said:
This is why I'm not getting it at the moment. Good that a new studio is taking chances with a new IP,
Kaos isn't a new studio, they made the pretty-damn-good Frontlines: Fuel of War, which as far as I could tell was an online-only Ghost Recon sort of FPS crossed with a Battlefield 1942 vibe, with an interesting "frontline" mechanic that pushed up the battle to meet the actual front lines as teams pushed forward/fell back.

So no, this is not a new studio. These are experienced people. I say, THQ dropped the ball in the marketing of this one.
I am so sad that I got Frontlines so late. The SP was short, but the story was fun, not great, but fun. The multiplayer seemed a lot of fun but no one ever played.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Gitty101 said:
The problem is, even though it may be a new IP, it's nothing new or even really inovative. It's not attempting to revolutionise a genre, nor is it trying to revive old experiences (Duke Nukem, Bulletstorm etc), it's just squat firmly in the middle ground.

People will buy it, but it will soon be forgotten. I mean, just look what happened to the MoH reboot...
Maybe they could try upping the profile of their property by suing the shit out of whomever is making the new Red Dawn movie, now that they changed their bad guys from Chinese to Koreans? Yes, they totally ripped off a videogame that ripped off the original movie.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Campaign could have been a lot better with more development and more than 3 hours. Multiplayer, well, it could use more maps. Think there were only 6 and half the servers I've been in only run 2.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Can someone clarify if theese are American sales figures or worldwide sales figures?

Im not even going to bother sugar-coating my opionion. I never believed that Homefront had any potential from the start. As it happens, i think its liable to be put up on TVtropes Stillborn Franchise [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StillbornFranchise] page.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
TestECull said:
Homefront's excellent multiplayer experience, combined with our commitment to dedicated servers, make this a must-have purchase for gamers," added Vice President Danny Bilson. "Due to the strong and growing demand for Homefront's multiplayer, we continue to add dedicated server capacity. We are confident that the large-scale multiplayer maps featuring 32 players, vehicles, infantry and drones, will continue to be a major draw for the huge audience of FPS gamers looking for a new experience over the coming months.
So how 'bout a good campaign there, buddy? Oh wait there isn't one, because if there was you wouldn't be bragging about the MP so hard.
This is why I'm not getting it at the moment. Good that a new studio is taking chances with a new IP, and I'm glad they're seeing some success, but I play shooters primarily for the single-player campaign, and I'm not paying full price for a game that doesn't have one worth it.
In this day and age of shooters? Good luck with that.