Homeland Security Seizes Dozens of Piracy Websites

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
COICA would also create a blacklist of foreign websites that U.S. ISPs would be required to block, negating the effect of piracy websites located outside of the U.S.
while i dont mind them taking down piracy websites, i dont like where this is going, *insert slippery slope argument here*

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
poiumty said:
DazBurger said:
Pirate Bay is still running, so I fail to see what this accomplished.
Pirate Bay isn't just a website. Pirate Bay is an idea, mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.
Ah it is good to see another so accustomed with the knowledge of V..

But yeah, its a bit stupid considering most of these websites will be back up in a few days as somebody already had it saved to their computer and it takes minutes to put up a per-constructed website..

if they really wanted to kill piracy they should just put their super-computer-echelon systems under the Pentagon to work and let it kill all piracy related websites..
..damn now they know how to win, does homeland security look at this site..?

Csae

Sep 8, 2010
arc1991 said:
ionveau said:
NOOOOO WHY GOD WHY.

its a sad day when greedy becomes law
How are they being greedy? they are stopping something that most people with half a brainstem know is bad.

If everyone downloaded illegally, the music/movie and even game industry would crumble.
Everyone IS downloading, how are the industrys faring ? Quite annoyingly good. Like cockroaches.

Its about time the industrys went on a Diet, and this is exactly what it is.

Pirating is nature's law of balance, the industrys got fat, and now they are starving, the creativity will flow again, and awesome movies will pop up that will make people buy them (watch them in theaters again).

Kouen

Yea, Furry. Deal With It!
Mar 23, 2010
if only they would just take out Pirate Bay xD then we would see an impact

cocoadog

Oct 9, 2008
arc1991 said:
ionveau said:
NOOOOO WHY GOD WHY.

its a sad day when greedy becomes law
How are they being greedy? they are stopping something that most people with half a brainstem know is bad.

If everyone downloaded illegally, the music/movie and even game industry would crumble.
Okay say you have an 80 gigabyte ipod. Do you realize that to fill that up with music would cost thousands of dollars? If people are given a choice between thousands of dollars and free what do you think will happen? Not encouraging it just saying.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
uppitycracker said:
Booze Zombie said:
At first they'll claim they're trying to stop piracy, then they'll start shutting down sites critical of the government.
Doesn't take long to abuse powers.
this, exactly. it's not very unusual for the US government to abuse the fuck out of laws passed for good reason. you think it's to protect the common interest (which in reality, it's only there to protect the major corporations that hardly want that extra dime anyway, despite the claim that it's there for the independent struggling artists), but it'll just turn into another way for the government to maintain that control over us and further remove our freedoms. but for the vast majority of these forums, i suppose ignorance is bliss....
And you show the level of ignorance that should be blissful. I know it is fun and all to kick Big Corporation around, but they need money to keep you entertained. Also, if there was more money changing hands by actually purchasing products we might be able to have a stronger recovery.

OT: This action won't do much besides just informing the public it is trying something. The only way to kick piracy down is to use attack the demand portion since it costs little to form the supply. If you can build up the guilt (or fear) of the people who use the torrents it will have actual inherent costs.

In short: To significantly and quickly knock down piracy, start suing the teenagers who do it. And not just one or two, hit them like these sites.

hawkeye52

Jul 17, 2009
Loonerinoes said:
MasterSplinter said:
This does nothing, the pirated content is not on any specific site. It's on all of the users pc's. A new site is created and problem solved, it may actually benefit some sites by the shifting of people from one site to another in the search for a new place to regularly download.

It is like you were dirking with some friends on a corner and a police man ask's you to stop it, you move to another corner and he doesn't bother you for a few months/years.

Many of these sites benefit or are sustained by ad's content. Making it illegal to advertise on data sharing sites would be an interesting move.

That would be like blocking the money you and your friends use to buy booze. Free big traffic sites would be harder to sustain and that would probably be a bigger hit.
trouble is though is that all this would stop is sites that are based in america or anyother affliated countries who would implement this and i think some countries such as malaysia and especially sweden couldnt care less about an industry that has nothing to do with them

Give the man a prize for coming up with a plan that might actually have an effect on piracy.

Sadly, people will still believe that going after the individual sites is going to be an enforcable strategy and the headlines of "A GREAT VICTORY AGAINST PIRATES!" will continue while these abusive laws keep getting misused by your government.

But hey...it's not like I have to live in this country of yours so...keep up with your cool stories, bros.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
The funny thing is, for all of you that think this is a good thing, the amount of good you know this can do will be heavily out weighed by the really bad things that you dont.

These laws and tenants are sold on bullet points and tag lines that only cover up the future possiblities of abuse.

I do not agree 100% with Piracy, but anything the American Gov't does is fueled by corporate sponsors and therefore the moderation of anything is wholly suspect.

With IP moderation and tracking in the US now I am surprised the country who spouts privacy and individualism is so heavily controlled. Irony?

Oct 30, 2010
KEM10 said:
uppitycracker said:
Booze Zombie said:
At first they'll claim they're trying to stop piracy, then they'll start shutting down sites critical of the government.
Doesn't take long to abuse powers.
this, exactly. it's not very unusual for the US government to abuse the fuck out of laws passed for good reason. you think it's to protect the common interest (which in reality, it's only there to protect the major corporations that hardly want that extra dime anyway, despite the claim that it's there for the independent struggling artists), but it'll just turn into another way for the government to maintain that control over us and further remove our freedoms. but for the vast majority of these forums, i suppose ignorance is bliss....
And you show the level of ignorance that should be blissful. I know it is fun and all to kick Big Corporation around, but they need money to keep you entertained. Also, if there was more money changing hands by actually purchasing products we might be able to have a stronger recovery.

OT: This action won't do much besides just informing the public it is trying something. The only way to kick piracy down is to use attack the demand portion since it costs little to form the supply. If you can build up the guilt (or fear) of the people who use the torrents it will have actual inherent costs.

In short: To significantly and quickly knock down piracy, start suing the teenagers who do it. And not just one or two, hit them like these sites.
Isn't that the same as the arresting kids holding a couple joints, which everyone roundly mocks?

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
Oh joy, more pro-government insanity. I hate capitalism, I really do. Well at least I know that it's impossible for them to completely quell the efforts of the pirates. It still disturbs me that the U.S has gone this far, and I'm glad I live in Canada.

Perhaps someday we will truly have a government of the people, one that listens and does what it should. Until then I'll be waiting and criticizing

Aug 26, 2008
What dark times we live in. Ultimately though their efforts are in vain. New sites will pop up and replace the old. Personally I think these over zealous cyber police can go fuck themselves.

dboulant

Jul 29, 2010
Plurralbles said:
why homeland security?

Dont' they have much larger fish to fry?
This sort of thing falls under more than one Federal agency's jurisdiction, so DHS gets the burden/credit/oversight.

I deal with DHS, FBI and a few others at work fairly often, they're not too bright to begin with, at least not the ones I've met. So I'm willing to bet that these 70 sites took quite a lot of lead time to snag.

ciortas1 said:
Because God knows, teenagers are running your industries bankrupt.
Market Demographics. Movies, music and games are catered to the teenagers, that's where the money is. If they're not buying, the industry isn't making money.

See how long then industry lasts when they work for free.

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
TheEvilCheese said:
Rusty Bucket said:
Pirate Bay is still running, so I fail to see what this accomplished.
Pirate bay has survived so many attempts to take it down that it's just getting silly.
But the idea that ISP's would have to block it for everyone... that may work.
That won't happen. They're based in Finland (possibly Iceland. Or Norway. Somewhere cold) who have different laws about this stuff. Technically, they aren't actually doing anything wrong. They don't host any pirated files, just .torrent files, which essentially just point your PC to where the files are.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
tkioz said:
Problem is fire in this instance would be killing the entire Internet and frankly the US government, nor any government around the world really, really doesn't want that to happen, it would make the GFC look like a boom time.
Never under estimate the stupidity of a politician with an agenda to push and an enforcement agency to back him up.

You'd think no-one would have been dumb enough to try and ban alcohol entirely in the US, but, well...
And we all know how splendidly that worked out don't we. The raise of organised crime can be directly tied to prohibition. Even if the US government could take down the net, and I suppose that they have weapons that could do so, like a forest after a fire something new, more robust would spring up. People are used to the 'Net now, and frankly many many nations around the world would take such action badly.

killamanhunter

Mar 24, 2009
for those of you who can't read or don't want to here's a street music video droppin' the rhymes to get you up to speed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUCyvw4w_yk