Hope you weren't too excited about that Elder Scrolls MMO

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
It's not feasible owning a house in an MMO? I know for sure LotRO has allowed player owned houses for years.

Boy, the team who are making this clearly looked at the market and tried to pull ideas from games that aren't just WoW. Derp derp.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Frostbite3789 said:
It's not feasible owning a house in an MMO? I know for sure LotRO has allowed player owned houses for years.

Boy, the team who are making this clearly looked at the market and tried to pull ideas from games that aren't just WoW. Derp derp.
Actually they said player housing as people want it to work isn't feasible.

-How it works, bunch of instanced areas that are copies of each other with people own homes in the instanced areas
-How people want it to work, giant in-game cities that are ever expanding and growing due to player housing all in the normal world.

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
It's times like this where I actually thank the Korean developers for coming up with more in-depth combat systems about 7 years before everyone else though it'd be a good idea. I suppose they're banking on Skyrim success to attract people to the mmo. If it uses a subscription system, it probably won't work out too well, considering it's basically WoW: Tamriel Edition, and so many people are still subscribed to WoW that they probably won't invest that much into the Elder Scrolls MMO

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
SajuukKhar said:
Frostbite3789 said:

Actually they said player housing as people want it to work isn't feasible.

-How it works, bunch of instanced areas that are copies of each other with people own homes in the instanced areas
-How people want it to work, giant in-game cities that are ever expanding and growing due to player housing all in the normal world.
So they decide to go with the option that includes it not at all?

Before what players want is implemented at all, we'd almost need a standalone game that has such a mechanic.

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
Frostbite3789 said:

Yeah, housing in LotRO is great and would be perfectly fine in a TES setting(For those unfamiliar with it, you have four instanced areas, each with their own architecture, Hobbit, Man, Elf and Dwarf. Every style has 3 kinds of houses available. You can choose the wall and floor textures, paint them, you can buy furniture. And the coolest thing: All bosses drop trophies which range from small heads to huge Balrog swords to put in your front yard.), so yeah I totally read that developer comment as: "Derp"

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Frostbite3789 said:
So they decide to go with the option that includes it not at all?

Before what players want is implemented at all, we'd almost need a standalone game that has such a mechanic.
I would rather they axe player housing, which only exists as a means to wave your e-peen in other peoples faces, in order to spend more time on things that actually mattered in the MMO.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
And it begins, people judging and bickering over the quality of a game that they won't even play for a year, there isn't even gameplay footage yet.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
lord.jeff said:
And it begins, people judging and bickering over the quality of a game that they won't even play for a year, there isn't even gameplay footage yet.
The game is gonna suck, being a long-time ES fan, I can tell.

I'm still gonna play it though.

It is taking some cues from Guild wars 2 with its
-Limited size skill bar
-Weapons that determine some of your skills
-Blocking mechanic that drains a fatigue bar
-Combining skills from different classes, like oil slick + fireball = firewall.

So it wont be exactly like WoW, just very similar to it.

XSTALKERX

Mar 10, 2012
Good let this abomination fail so that Bethesda can go back and make single player elder scrolls bigger and better, and for once they should put in a decent combat system. But knowing Beth that probably won't happen. Sorry if I seem a bit angry, but this whole elder scrolls online thing is a big kick in the balls, because elder scrolls is one of my favourite RPG series and now it feels like they are ruining it. They already partially that that with skyrim.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
XSTALKERX said:
Good let this abomination fail so that Bethesda can go back and make single player elder scrolls bigger and better, and for once they should put in a decent combat system. But knowing Beth that probably won't happen. Sorry if I seem a bit angry, but this whole elder scrolls online thing is a big kick in the balls, because elder scrolls is one of my favourite RPG series and now it feels like they are ruining it. They already partially that that with skyrim.
Bethesda isnt making the game.............. it being made isnt preventing them from making more SP games.

ugh....................

It is New Vegas all over again.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Kalezian said:
OT: Still have somewhat of an interest in the game, if it turns out to be exactly like WoW however, I'll lose interest.

I mean, after all, even Age of Conan which has somewhat of a real time combat still has abilities that cool down.
What MMO doesn't use skills on cooldown?

XSTALKERX

Mar 10, 2012
SajuukKhar said:
XSTALKERX said:
Bethesda isnt making the game.............. it being made isnt preventing them from making more SP games.

ugh....................

It is New Vegas all over again.
Oh..............well sorry for that then my bad.........thanks for pointing that out though. Now if you'll excuse me I'll quietly leave before I humiliate myself further.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
In Skyrim, they advanced the story 200 years and created a factional conflict in the world of Tamriel. Is anyone really surprised they were making an MMO for TES?

Fuck Bethesda. They took my favorite RPG and turned into a CLICK AND WAIT MMO. I'm not surprised about it, but I'm still pissed because I wanted so badly for it to not be true.

For the record, I support a multi-player version of TES, but would have preferred a hosted server style gameplay that is common for FPS games, where we the players can control what mods we run and can play with our friends in a scope that we want. Instead we get this shit. *sigh*

godofslack

May 8, 2011
My god the factions are so derp, with exception of the Aldmeri Dominion. Seriously, Nords, Dunmer and Argonians are allies? At this period it was extremely common for the Dunmer to raid Blackmarsh for slaves.

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
SajuukKhar said:
lord.jeff said:
The game is gonna suck, being a long-time ES fan, I can tell.

I'm still gonna play it though.

It is taking some cues from Guild wars 2 with its
-Limited size skill bar
-Weapons that determine some of your skills
-Blocking mechanic that drains a fatigue bar
-Combining skills from different classes, like oil slick + fireball = firewall.

So it wont be exactly like WoW, just very similar to it.
What changed your mind? You keep saying how hard it will suck(Yesterday anyway) So why would you play it? Purely because of the lore?

Also, weren't Orcs considered monsters back then? Before Talos took them into the Empire they were considered just as bad as Goblins as far as I know. And they are part of an egalitarian alliance with the Redguards no less. The guys who took their homeland.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Fappy said:
This just ruined my morning. Thanks a lot.
My morning isn't quite ruined, but this definitely put a bad taste in my mouth =/

"Hey fans that made Oblivion and Skyrim so popular and successful, guess what!"
'What is it Zenimax?'
"We're making a TES MMO!"
'Well that sounds really cool, what will it be li-'
"WoW with a TES skin"
'...'
"Since WoW is so popular, we figured we'd copy a lot of things from it, throw a TES skin on it, and let people gobble it up!"
'So... How similar will it be to a TES game? You know, the giant worlds, great combat, crazy lore, loot, houses an-'
"No houses. We can't have that shit in an MMO are you crazy? As for the combat, we're making that like a regular MMO's combat. The world will also be like WoW as well, it will be aweso-...Hey wait, where are you going?"

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Jynthor said:
What changed your mind? You keep saying how hard it will suck(Yesterday anyway) So why would you play it? Purely because of the lore?

Also, weren't Orcs considered monsters back then? Before Talos took them into the Empire they were considered just as bad as Goblins as far as I know. And they are part of an egalitarian alliance with the Redguards no less. The guys who took their homeland.
Duke Nukem forever sucked and I still played it, enjoyed it too.

Lord of the rings online blew ass also.... still played it for awhile.

Also as I recall Orcs were part of the second Empire under Reman, they have been viewed on and off as monsters.

The Orcs have no real "homeland", they never did. they CLAIMED land as thier ownn, but various other peoples had lived in those lands for ages befrehand.
I personally never had a problem with WoW mechanics as a whole, this whole "anti-WoW" crusade seems really hipster like.

The only real problems I had was the grind.

As long as the game isn't SUPER grindy I dont really care.

They are adding skill combos, limited skill bars, a block mechanic that is based around a fatigue bar, and other features that WoW really doesn't have.

So yeah it will play like WoW in many aspects, but it also does some things that othr MMOs like Gw2 do, so its not really WoW or anything else. It isnt gonna be super revolutionary but that doesnt bother me.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I only want it so my characters, whom I've carefully crafted over the course of a decade (or more), can finally interact with other people.
Yes, I want to roleplay. I don't care about the game itself.