Hope you weren't too excited about that Elder Scrolls MMO

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
SajuukKhar said:
Jynthor said:
What changed your mind? You keep saying how hard it will suck(Yesterday anyway) So why would you play it? Purely because of the lore?

Also, weren't Orcs considered monsters back then? Before Talos took them into the Empire they were considered just as bad as Goblins as far as I know. And they are part of an egalitarian alliance with the Redguards no less. The guys who took their homeland.
Duke Nukem forever sucked and I still played it, enjoyed it too.

Lord of the rings online blew ass also.... still played it for awhile.

Also as I recall Orcs were part of the second Empire under Reman, they have been viewed on and off as monsters.

The Orcs have no real "homeland", they never did. they CLAIMED land as thier ownn, but various other peoples had lived in those lands for ages befrehand.
But that doesn't change the fact that the Redguards claimed the land the Orcs were living in at the moment for their own. And that they massacred a lot of orcs. They wouldn't exactly be happy neighbours.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Jynthor said:
But that doesn't change the fact that the Redguards claimed the land the Orcs were living in at the moment for their own. And that they massacred a lot of orcs. They wouldn't exactly be happy neighbours.
The Redguards did that back in the first Era. Over 1000 years, approaching 2000, prior to the start of the game.

Furthermore these alliances are out of necessity rather then friendship.

It isn't exactly an uncommon videogame/movie/tv show trope to have two big enemies team up for something they both want.

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
SajuukKhar said:
Jynthor said:
The Redguards did that back in the first Era.

Furthermore these alliances are out of nessessity rather then friendship.

It isnt exactly an uncommon videogame/movie/tv show trope to have two big enemies team up for something they both want.
Then why is it an egalitarian alliance?
Maybe the author made a mistake, but I just find it weird.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
This sounds pretty disheartening but I'll wait until it's out or at least until we know more.
Not that I have the time and money for another MMO at the moment anyway.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
Aw man, this information is a disappointment. They could have made this a WoW-killer, but they're instead just making it a WoW-imitator.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Jynthor said:
Then why is it an egalitarian alliance?
Maybe the author made a mistake, but I just find it weird.
that is probably a thing they got form the Bretons.

The Orcs, Redguards, and Nords fight each other often, but they also have great respect for each other because they are all reat Warriors.

The Redguard's respecting the Orcs enough to treat them equally isn't unfounded.

Deathmageddon

Nov 1, 2011
That's disappointing. Still might get it if it's F2P, but they could have made some interesting innovations with this.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
SirBryghtside said:
Kaleion said:
Well since the last Elder Scrolls game I played was Daggerfall I wasn't really exited, but this does leave me wondering, What is the point of making an MMO out of it, if it is nothing like it?
This is actually pretty stupid.
I see your point entirely. I mean.. imagine... pffft, just imagine, if there was an RTS series that actually changed genres! And did something ridiculous like became the most successful game ever!
Oh, I know what you mean Mr. BryghtSide but the reason why that worked is because WarCraft wasn't an RPG and so people weren't expecting anything in particular in regards to gameplay. but since Elder Scrolls is already an RPG most people just wanted the Elder Scrolls experience in MMO form, so unlike WarCraft people have a certain expectation of how an Elder Scrolls MMO should be.
What I'm saying is that people expect certain things from Elder Scrolls, the things they think makes an Elder Scrolls game an Elder Scrolls game, and this isn't going to deliver because if it's like WarCraft with Elder Scrolls lore it definitely won't be what people expect, of course I could be wrong, but as I said I don't really care that much.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
SirBryghtside said:
]OK, I see your point. Sorry for being a little... untoward. This announcement has just screwed with my mind so much.
It has been known they were working on a MMO that they would announce in may for some time

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
SirBryghtside said:
Tasty tasty graphics card
I was talking more about the knowledge that Zenimax made a MMO company back in 2007, which has been known since 2007.

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
It really sucks to see something that had so much potential be summed up as "WoW...but in TES!". Granted its not out yet, and maybe the mechanics just weren't explained properly, but this is something i'll be keeping an eye on more out of curiosity than actual interest.

Also...how did the developers not notice the movement away from hotkey MMOs? Sure WoW does it, but WoW's been out for ages, people are comfortable with that system for that particular game. TOR did it, but there's a wave of people that disliked it for that. Then you have TERA and Guild Wars 2 which does away with the traditional hotkey-based gameplay entirely, and they also just so happen to be the most widely anticipated MMO's by many peoples' accounts.

I want this to do so well, i really do, I love the Elder Scrolls universe and i think it's the pinnacle of potential for an MMO, but WoW with another paint job isnt what I was looking for. Why is it so hard for developers and publishers to make an MMO that can function like Skyrim but with more people? I'm tired of hearing about how "the mechanics don't work together", or "it's not possible". Of course it's possible. It's 2012; we have laptops as thin as a pancake and a Google car that drives itself, why can't we have a great MMO that has first person combat with a bunch of other people?

/rant

CAPTCHA: easy as cake. awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwyyeeeeeaaaaaa

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
jollybarracuda said:
It really sucks to see something that had so much potential be summed up as "WoW...but in TES!". Granted its not out yet, and maybe the mechanics just weren't explained properly, but this is something i'll be keeping an eye on more out of curiosity than actual interest.

Also...how did the developers not notice the movement away from hotkey MMOs? Sure WoW does it, but WoW's been out for ages, people are comfortable with that system for that particular game. TOR did it, but there's a wave of people that disliked it for that. Then you have TERA and Guild Wars 2 which does away with the traditional hotkey-based gameplay entirely, and they also just so happen to be the most widely anticipated MMO's by many peoples' accounts.

I want this to do so well, i really do, I love the Elder Scrolls universe and i think it's the pinnacle of potential for an MMO, but WoW with another paint job isnt what I was looking for. Why is it so hard for developers and publishers to make an MMO that can function like Skyrim but with more people? I'm tired of hearing about how "the mechanics don't work together", or "it's not possible". Of course it's possible. It's 2012; we have laptops as thin as a pancake and a Google car that drives itself, why can't we have a great MMO that has first person combat with a bunch of other people?
Having played the GW2 beta............... there is still lots of hotkey smashing.

the whole "GW2 doesn't rely on hotkey hitting" thing is a myth.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
GiantRaven said:
At first I was intrigued because I was curious about the idea of making a First-person, real-time combat game into an MMO.

Now though? Interest level: 0.
Ditto.

Real time combat would have been the only thing that would have remotely piqued my interest but now I can almost safely say that will not happen. I can only cross my fingers and hope that its combat is not a 100% clone of WoW.

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
Having played the GW2 beta............... there is still lots of hotkey smashing.
Yah, it does seem a but mashy, but it's not so much hotbars that i have a problem with as it is having skills and actions lined around your screen like a frame and cycling through all the attacks. At least Guild Wars 2 limits what you can have, providing strategy. Though i'll reserve my judgement on whether it really is as different from WoW as i hope it is for when i actually play it.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
jollybarracuda said:
Yah, it does seem a but mashy, but it's not so much hotbars that i have a problem with as it is having skills and actions lined around your screen like a frame and cycling through all the attacks. At least Guild Wars 2 limits what you can have, providing strategy. Though i'll reserve my judgement on whether it really is as different from WoW as i hope it is for when i actually play it.
According to the game informer scans there is a limit to the number of skills you can use in ESO like GW2, also you can't change skills in combat. They specifically say it isn't like WoW in that regard.

Though it does seem the number of skill is larger then GW2's bar.

"players have a small standard MMO hotbar on which they slot a handful of skills freely outside combat. The limitation on the number of skills available at one time does away with the concept of skill "rotations" that much of the class design of a MMO like World of Warcaft is built on. "now every ability can be awesome," says lead gameplayer designer Nick Konkle. "if you have 20 abilities, at some point I can't let every one be a stun. We can just make ever ability really cool, and how you build your "hand" in advance is what defines you""

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
jollybarracuda said:
According to the game informer scans there is a limit to the number of skills you can use in ES also.

In fact they specifically say it isn't like WoW in that regard.

Though it does seem the number of skill is larger then GW2's bar.
Huh, well i suppose it's a step in the right direction. I guess i was just hoping that TES would be the series to finally have an MMO like I always wanted; first-person, entirely non-hotkey-based combat with an open, consistent world. Looks like the wait is still on.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
jollybarracuda said:
Huh, well i suppose it's a step in the right direction. I guess i was just hoping that TES would be the series to finally have an MMO like I always wanted; first-person, entirely non-hotkey-based combat with an open, consistent world. Looks like the wait is still on.
As much as I despise the third-person mode in Skyrim I dont htink I would ever want to play a first-person MMORPG.

that is basically a death sentence for PVP.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
SajuukKhar said:
As much as I despise the third-person mode in Skyrim I dont htink I would ever want to play a first-person MMORPG.

that is basically a death sentence for PVP.
EQ was first person, and was a huge success.

And many PvP shooters work just fine in the first person. Curious why you think it would be the death knell for PvP?

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
BloatedGuppy said:
EQ was first person, and was a huge success.

And many PvP shooters work just fine in the first person. Curious why you think it would be the death knell for PvP?
Everquest was not in first person..............

Also there is a very large diffrent between a multiplayer FPS and a PVP MMORPG, specifically the entire gameplay mechanics.