Hope you weren't too excited about that Elder Scrolls MMO

Feb 26, 2011
You know, I DISTICNTLY recall someone who works at Bethesda (or wherever) saying that they would NEVER make an Elder Scrolls MMO FOR THIS VERY REASON.

e.e

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
The Heavy Metal Nerd said:
You know, I DISTICNTLY recall someone who works at Bethesda (or wherever) saying that they would NEVER make an Elder Scrolls MMO FOR THIS VERY REASON.

e.e
Bethesda said they wouldn't make a MMO....... Bethesda isn't making the mmo.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
Kalezian said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
I was never excited about it to begin with and had no intention of buying it. This is mostly why. MMOs suck, they all suck, and always will suck. The main mechanic of an MMO is sucking. This is just from my perspective from what I look for from a game, obviously and not everyone will agree but I've played enough MMOs to know that they ALWAYS suck, no matter what claims they make to the contrary.

Planetside would like to have a word with you.

Oh, and Eve online.

OT: Still have somewhat of an interest in the game, if it turns out to be exactly like WoW however, I'll lose interest.

I mean, after all, even Age of Conan which has somewhat of a real time combat still has abilities that cool down.
TES is a skill based twitch game. Weapons get more powerful as your experience using them goes up, but the accuracy is all the player. Cool downs for special abilities are fine, but click and wait mechanics for combat are not Elder Scrolls and they should never be. There are very few true RPGs that allow for action based combat.

BTW, "all MMOs suck" and "but EVE Online is awesome" are both opinions, so try not to kill each other over your opinions. :)

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
SajuukKhar said:
undeadsuitor said:
Besides, with the whole "being able to block with a stamina bar" it sounds pretty real-time. Since you would have to block when an enemy attacked.

Given that the mechanics were described pretty vaguely I'd say it was too early to call it anything.
Not only can you block, but you can
-sprint
-interrupt
-Negate some effects, such as the freezing parts of frost spells

using the stamina bar system.
I have the feeling that just can't work in an MMO, especially with the hotkey combat,

Feb 26, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
The Heavy Metal Nerd said:

e.e
Bethesda said they wouldn't make a MMO....... Bethesda isn't making the mmo.

>.>

<.<

...Yeah, that'd explain it...

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
This is a shame, but Morrowind is on Steam for a few bucks, so lets all go and play that instead.

WoW Killer said:
Real time combat? In an MMO?
Why not? Planetside managed it eight years ago, nobody else has any excuse. This is the classic lazy publisher route of 'to beat our competitor, we must be just like him!'

It didn't work for Warhammer, it's not working for Star Wars right now, who in their right mind would think this strategy leads anywhere but failure? Oh right, executives...

Side note, World of Tanks has real time combat, that's working out alright.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Arnoxthe1 said:
It's not too late now, Bethesda. You can still cancel the game!
Didn't they say something about "years in development"? You can't just say "Oh well" at this point, they have to at least TRY to cover their investment.

And why cancel it? You aren't going to play, so you're entirely unaffected one way or another.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
Arnoxthe1 said:
It's not too late now, Bethesda. You can still cancel the game!
lol, this is years in development and millions spent. They aren't backing out now. Like it or not, this game is officially on the rolls, as it were. Here's hoping they didn't fuck up as bad as I think they did.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
Nasrin said:
In reference to the point about there being level limits on certain areas of the game...

Isn't this a necessity of MMOs? The game can't scale to one individual, as it does in Skyrim.
I always found that mechanic awesome and annoying at the same time. On the one hand it was nice to not have to grind to get to stronger areas, on the other hand it sucked to see all the wolves replaced with zomgtearyourfaceoff mountain lions as you got past a certain character level in Oblivion.

However, the TES way is better - no grinding - ever. They could do the personal / group scaling, but they'd have to use an instanced model like DDO where you can have the land scale up/down in toughness along with you. You could even make certain areas "too tough" and make people "come back later" as long as it had stuff for you to do and you weren't grinding kills just to gain experience.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
undeadsuitor said:
It's worked in "real time" MMO's before. Like I said in my last post, its nothing new.

What will probably happen is that when an enemy attacks, you will receive a prompt based on one of several things (agility, block skill etc.) and you will need to click a mouse button to act appropriately. Just enough interaction to keep you on your toes, but not enough to be considered "Real time action"
that or they have block/sprint/etc. skills that drain stamina while they are on.

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
Maybe I should try and keep an open mind considering this has no impact whatsoever on the singleplayer TES games. I got over the initial shock of Multiplayer TES, and some features sound promising, and maybe the lore is good. Will have to wait for some gameplay.
I definitely hate the look though. It's so generic it hurts.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
So they're making an Elder Scrolls game that isn't like Elder Scrolls but instead like World of Warcraft? That's strike one. My interest meter was already at 0 but now it's round about -10.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
Chairman Miaow said:
Well, duh!
My entire reaction summed up in two words. Anyone not expecting this clearly wasn't thinking straight. THIS IS WHY MMOs SUCK.