Horizon 2 - Forbidden West State of play

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

There did about a 20 minute reveal presentation for the upcoming sequel and it looks glorious!

The new traversal is very Breath of the Wild, there is even a glider thing now and a grappling hook. On top of the environments looking absolutely insane. The Combat looks awesome too, complete with fighting game style super attacks!

I'm ready for this game, but I doubt it'll come out before early 2022. No release date announced, though possibly more info at E3-time.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

:(

But yeah, looking forward to this one for sure!

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
They had me at the robot raptors and then the elephant at the end was a chefs kiss. It was like war elephants from LOTR but Zoids.
I love the meatbag on meatbag combat has seemed to improved and is more engaging the tricks at our disposal will lead to some fun fights.

I am also interested in the lore of the new robots were they corrupted gaia protocols or is Hephaestus running more wild than before.

And I can't wait to see Sylens again everything is improve Lance Reddick its just is.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Initial complaints -

They should really make her appear a bit more hidden in tall grass; still feels a bit too gamey that these technically advanced creatures can overlook her decorated head popping above like a sore thumb.

Also while I don’t expect them to do a no cut for a game like this, ever since GoW it just feels jarring being taken out of the action when a cutscene kicks in for basic things like what an enemy is doing 50 paces or so ahead.

Practically everything else though? Bellissimo

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I do love the fact that this game now has more emphasis on melee. I never expected that. I'm not expecting any mad combo videos, but it'll be interesting to see what skill videos people do with the shooting and the melee combined

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Can't help but notice they want to show us they're tackling criticisms of the previous game about how disappointingly simple it was to fight the humans. They don't need to sell it any more to me tho, mind was made up quite a whiles ago on being sold.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Some screens here but disappointing they don’t have uncompressed footage yet -

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I do love the fact that this game now has more emphasis on melee. I never expected that. I'm not expecting any mad combo videos, but it'll be interesting to see what skill videos people do with the shooting and the melee combined
Not to mention with that Grappling Hook and Glider, there are going to be crazy traversal possibilities too.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
The Horizon Reddit also has a good megathread which details some of the new features as well as some discussion about everything Forbidden West -

Adam Jensen

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
I wish I knew why people are so obsessed over this franchise. It's literally every open-world game in the last 10 years, with a different coat of paint and terrible writing. Is it the graphics and the robot dinosaurs? Because that's pretty much the extent of its originality. Everything else is generic open-world adventure game that we've seen a million times already.

And that scripted gameplay trailer can fuck right off.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
If you mean scripted as in set up to look as exciting as possible, then sure. If you mean this isn't how the game will actually play, then no not really. If this was scripted i.e. fake they would've gotten rid of all those little and very obvious twitchy animations that indicate someone is actually on a controller, not to mention that part where Aloy warps into the arms of that elite dude. And beyond that the gameplay looks virtually identical to that of the first game, so what exactly would they need to script?

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Hopefully weapon upgrade is more interesting this time I remember getting all the weapon maybe at maybe 1/3 of the game and most of the upgrade (gem?) I got from this point on where very minor improvment so it felt like that system wasn't really part of the game. Same for the upgrade tree, I had everything I wanted really early.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
I wish I knew why people are so obsessed over this franchise. It's literally every open-world game in the last 10 years, with a different coat of paint and terrible writing. Is it the graphics and the robot dinosaurs? Because that's pretty much the extent of its originality. Everything else is generic open-world adventure game that we've seen a million times already.

I will tell you Horizon broke my open world fatigue hell malaise if you will. Yes the robo dinos and future caveman setting really helped as opposed to metropolis with people and sky scrapers with horror dlc thrown in every now and then. But Horizon did something where less was more. Collectibles made sense not collect 200 whatevers get 20 of this 4 of that and it has nice lore attached. The zones were spread out just right and never did I get feel of vast open just for the sake of open. And the bow and arrow and hunting play I got from it side tracked me in a good way for hours.

As for the writing I personally love the in game lore and while the main story is not going to win awards it had me engaged with just the right amount of urgency and turns to make me invested to see how it all ends.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I will tell you Horizon broke my open world fatigue hell malaise if you will. Yes the robo dinos and future caveman setting really helped as opposed to metropolis with people and sky scrapers with horror dlc thrown in every now and then. But Horizon did something where less was more. Collectibles made sense not collect 200 whatevers get 20 of this 4 of that and it has nice lore attached. The zones were spread out just right and never did I get feel of vast open just for the sake of open. And the bow and arrow and hunting play I got from it side tracked me in a good way for hours.
Name me any AAA (third-person) game that has you fighting giant monsters. Exactly. This alone made the game quite refreshing. And then fighting the giant monsters was actually super duper fun.

As for the writing I personally love the in game lore and while the main story is not going to win awards it had me engaged with just the right amount of urgency and turns to make me invested to see how it all ends.
From the looks of this trailer the characterisation is still kinda hooky. It's trying to present a foreign/future culture, but still has the actors talk like they just got out of the grocery store. It makes it so I can never quite shake the feeling these character are all just a bunch of cosplayers.

But rad robot fights while running around beautiful scenery makes all of this go down much smoother.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Graphics and visuals
Wow, they look gorgeous. Although maybe it's because of video compression, but it doesn't look like a ps5 graphics.

New enemy designs
The mecha-mammoth and velociraptors look amazing. I do wish they got bit more creative with human enemies. How many times are we going to see these post-apocalypse human tribe aesthetics?

Gameplay
It's nothing new I haven't seen before, but they are new features compared to the first game. Also, an open-world game with detailed underwater section? Yes please! Here's hoping there will be tons of things to do down there other than looking very pretty. I do hope the map system at the end is interactible in-game, and not just for the cutscenes. It will me immersive as fuck to survey the map as Aloy instead of opening a separate menu to go to the map.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Name me any AAA (third-person) game that has you fighting giant monsters. Exactly. This alone made the game quite refreshing. And then fighting the giant monsters was actually super duper fun.
I mean, there's a franchise that's literally named for fighting giant monsters. Tho it's AAA status is highly debatable. Imo the latest entries are. They at the very least sell AAA numbers, tho that by itself is no indicator.