Horrible games.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Dr. McD said:
Yeah... the two romance sub-plots, the vampires, Super Mutants even being there at all, the Brotherhood of Steel even being there at all (not to mention with a serious shift in personality), a lot of the stuff with the Enclave, not being able to send my Super Mutant buddy into the radioactive death room (until a DLC, in which case doing that is still treated somewhat negatively)... it's a tad wonky.

The thing that always killed it for me though was the same thing that seems to kill all Bethesda games to me: the pacing. There's literally no sense of urgency to the game. Sure, you're told that your dad's work is of incredible importance, and you're told that you need to find and help him ASAP... but then you can just sorta wander around for seventeen years without ever pursuing your dad. Then during the eighteenth year of your wandering, you might accidentally stumble upon something plot-related, and the game treats it as if no time has passed at all and everything is still super-urgent.

I had this same problem with Oblivion and Skyrim too. Big epic quests that are presented as being somewhat time-sensitive, but no one really cares whether or not you actually bother with it. In both games I ended up getting bored and bailing long before finishing the stories.

At least with Obsidian's Fallout: New Vegas there wasn't really an implied urgency to the main story. Your character wanted to track down Benny, but the game doesn't treat it like a time crunch. And they don't add a time crunch factor to the Hoover Dam battle either, as the whole game is treated as a "calm before the storm" so to speak. Is it still wonky from time to time? Sure. But not nearly as bad as a lot of Bethesda titles seem to get.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Lets see...
Mass Effect 3
Assassins Creed
Duke Nukem Forever
Dragon Age 2
Civilization 5
Gothic 3
World Shift

Probably numerous others, but those are the main ones that come to mind ATM. Got plenty of games that I'm meh about on the purchases, these are the main ones I actually regret buying though.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Every Sonic game after Sonic Heroes and up until but no including Sonic Colors.

After the infamous valley of Sonic game quality I clung to the desperate hope that one day Sega could catch the magic again...

...but it never did...

...is what I WOULD say if Generations didn't exist.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
It's not a true Escapist "horrible games" thread without a couple people posting AAA titles that are almost universally enjoyed. "Horrible," guys, not "I didn't really enjoy it, unlike many other people."

I bought an NBA Jam title for the original Xbox, and to call the computer a cheater would be a massive understatement.

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
All right, just because I'm feeling particularly evil right about now...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Horrible/VideoGames [WARNING: TVTROPES INBOUND]

Enjoy!

EDIT:
Zombie Sodomy said:
... Morrowind...
AAARGGHHHAJFBIOSDDBABUU&*!^@#^&!Q#@!@ANGER!

Quadocky

Aug 30, 2012
Castle Crashers. Pretty much the first time I ever wanted my money back after buying a game at a discount.

I was expecting something that would at least touch upon what made games like Final Fight decent and fun, NOPE instead I get something about as engaging as those obnoxious advertisement banner games.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
I think I will be the first I will say this game in this Thread:

I was a little boy back then when I picked this game. I thought the cover was cool and it had awesome graphics back then.
How foolish I was when I started playing this game........................I literally never finished the FIRST LEVEL in this game. This how bad it was......

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
I bought Naughty Bear hoping it would be an interesting game but boy was I wrong, I still have it and want to try completing it but every mission is pretty much the same which gets boring very fast.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Civilization V - Diplomacy doesn't work; any empire that can see you will complain about your settlements straight away, and then declare war. It's not a Civ game, it's a really BAD tbs. If you want to play a civ, buy Civ IV. If you want to play a tbs, buy Fallen Enchantress. If someone who bought XCOM gave you Civ V for free, then you got ripped off.

Skyrim - Maybe it's because I was doing my annual run through the Baldur's Gate series when this inferior title interrupted me last winter. Maybe if I'd been playing something else, it wouldn't have seemed so dead inside. In any case, my view of Skyrim now is of a very attractive landscape filled with totally hollow characters with a bland, tiresome central storyline. Just avoid.

Half Life 2 - Not even good for its day. Vehicle sections were laughable. Bosses were dreary, formulaic throwbacks to Quake and Unreal without being as good as either. The helicopter was an especially dull fight. Alyx Vance was another female character who failed to impress: tough as an abnormality, a reaction to loss (because a woman can't just be tough), she starts off cold and warms to the male protagonist as she begins to rely on him-- thanks to his power, she doesn't have to be tough anymore, she can go back to being a normal, fawning woman! Yeah.. okay. Avoid.

Supreme Commander 2 - I've railed against this POS in detail so many times. This time I'm just going to bullet point it.
- In Supcom 1, you tell one thing, then another thing to get in a transport. The transport will meet both units part-way, then continue to its rally and drop them off. In Supcom 2, you tell one thing to get in the transport and the transport remains stationary. You tell ANOTHER thing to get in the transport, and the first thing STOPS MOVING. How do you fuck something that already works so badly without intending to? Burn in hell GPG.
- Reduced Supcom's scale and dragged in Starcraft's economy. It didn't bring back the people who couldn't handle or didn't like FA's economy, and it drove away the loyalists en masse.
- Cybranosaurus Rex.
- Trivialised the Aeon Illuminate story. The protoss-like zealots of the former game and their central role in the plot is replaced by two bickering yank teenagers with terrible voice actors cavorting around with units that just happen to be Aeon. A slap in the face to anyone who cared about more than the MP component of the game.
- Not in the mood to discuss this pile anymore. Suffice it to say, I'm glad Chris's studio is smouldering in ashes. No great loss for the industry or the RTS space.
- Cybranosaurus Rex.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Snownine said:
CrimsonBlaze said:
Pokemon Black Version.

I'm sure many of you know where this is going, so I'll just leave it at that.

Glad we have Gen 6 to look forward to.
What was your beef with the fifth gen? I personally enjoyed it. I thought the Pokemon designs were pretty rubbish overall though.
Simply put, I just could not find myself liking or even enjoying this game.

The first issue was the Pokemon. Once the starters were revealed, it should have been a red flag to how bad this game was going to be. With at least a third of the new Pokemon being bad, unnecessary, or pointless, this makes you wonder why they couldn't just create around 100 new critters and slapping on a few favorites from the previous Gens to create the national Dex. Also, many of the new Pokemon had new cheap or terrible abilities.

Then there's Team Plasma. Basically, the Pokemon equivalent to PETA, so there's no need to get into detail with them. N was also the worst rival/villain/Team Boss ever conceived. The story places too much emphasis on this guy, which is annoying, and towards the end, we're supposed to feel bad for him for being a gullible, misguided child.

Back to the Pokemon, why the hell couldn't they just stick to stationary sprites with a small animation when a Pokemon is picked/sent out? They looked great and detailed in the previous Gen, so why screw that up with some jumbled and unclear messes of pixels? Why was anyone impressed by this? We've had moving Pokemon animations since Stadium (and now will appear in Gen 6) and they could have implemented moving sprites since the GBA era (anyone remember Golden Sun?).

There was also a lack of Triple/Rotation Battles. In the entire game, there are only 3 of these types of battles and I don't know if this advertised feature was forgotten or underdeveloped. The first gym was a lost opportunity to introduce these types of battles and have them appear occasionally from then onward. When Double Battles were introduced in Gen 3, there were plenty of them throughout the game and there was even a Gym Battle that consisted of a Double Battle.

Also, why this game couldn't be released for the 3DS is a mystery, especially since this title was a released a few weeks ahead of the 3DS in the U.S. This could've been a definite handheld seller and the 3DS could've used the extra sells. If they didn't/couldn't release a proper Pokemon game for the 3DS, why didn't they just wait 2-3 years to release a proper 3D Pokemon game (which, thankfully, it seems like we?ll be getting soon. Plus, it would have been completely worth it!).

The next point is more of a personal point, as I was angry that they removed the touch controls from HeartGold/SoulSilver. They were easy, smooth, and helpful in traversing this remake and I felt that this control scheme would carry over to the next titles. I would think that I would use the touch screen for the menu more often than for the C-Gear. Why they could not create a short cut on either of the unused shoulder buttons to switch between the Menu controls and the C-Gear truly baffles me.

So yeah, if you like the game, more power to you. I only rant because I care for the series and this was a gargantuan step backwards compared to the previous 4 Gens. To me, there are only two things that make a Pokemon Version title great: the Pokemon (if I don't like the roster, why bother playing it at all?) and Replay Value (if you are willing to restart a Pokemon title and go through the game once again, that shows how awesome the game truly is). I don't care for Pokemon Black or its roster and if my file was mysteriously erased, I would simply sell it or give it to one of my younger relatives who would not know a good Pokemon game from another and have them completely wreck it.

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
CrimsonBlaze said:
Also, why this game couldn't be released for the 3DS is a mystery, especially since this title was a released a few weeks ahead of the 3DS in the U.S. This could've been a definite handheld seller and the 3DS could've used the extra sells. If they didn't/couldn't release a proper Pokemon game for the 3DS, why didn't they just wait 2-3 years to release a proper 3D Pokemon game (which, thankfully, it seems like we?ll be getting soon. Plus, it would have been completely worth it!).
I have no issue with you disliking the fifth gen but I must point out that Pokemon games have never been released as release titles so I'm not quite sure why this would be an issue. Plus wouldn't it seem weird to wait so many years just so we can get a 3DS version and skip over black and white? Let's say they did skip over Black and White, that would mean HeartGold and SoulSilver were the last games and they were released 3 years ago and Diamond and Pearl were released 4 years ago. That's a fairly long wait for a new gen.

funkyjiveturkey

Jan 18, 2013
one day when i was a fresh-faced youngster in the 7th grade i bought Shadow the Hedgehog on the Gamecube for 50 dollars. after playing for about 20 minutes i realized the game was complete shit. bad graphics, shit premise, horrible new story canon, and TERRIBLE gunplay (and the idea of sonic characters using guns is pants on head retarded). nothing about this game is good, but not to be outdone i figured if i paid 50 dollars for it i might as well see it through to the end.

for the next few days and weeks i spent my time %100-ing the worst game i have ever played in my entire life. i gave it away for free a while ago because i couldnt sell it for anything. even when i sold my Gamecube to my older brother i offered him the game for no cost and he still wouldn't take it.

and that's how i've become the way i am

funkyjiveturkey

Jan 18, 2013
oh another one was FarCry: Vengeance for the wii. a game so bad i still played it to the end just to see how bad it truly was. it was no worse or better than i expected, my jimmies remain unrustled. would've worked better on the N64

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
Legendary. I bought this without first watching reviews. Cool idea but poorly implemented. I just didn't care for the combat or lack of puzzles. Was kind of boring I thought.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Genji: Days of the Blade was one of my clearest examples of Buyer's Remorse. I took that game back literally the same day. That was when I understood the reason that game was $5.

[small]User was banned for: How to Score with an Escapist Moderator for Idiots [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/520.401227]. (Permanent)[/small]

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
CrimsonBlaze said:
Pokemon Black Version.

I'm sure many of you know where this is going, so I'll just leave it at that.

Glad we have Gen 6 to look forward to.
^Yep, agree with ya there buddy.

OT: I usually try and finish games that I buy even if I don't like them. BUT, games such as Duke Nukem, Far Cry 3, Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfare and the original Borderlands made me feel like I was grinding my teeth on concrete. SOOO much about those games just fucked me off in one way or another.

Xarathox

Feb 12, 2013
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow.

Splinter Cell: Double Agent.

Call of Juarez.

Those three games just put me off buying anything from Ubisoft ever again. Class A shit, right there.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Front Mission Evolved. I was in yet another period of wishing Armored Core would get PC ports when I saw it was on sale on Amazon and gave in. Regretted the moment I started the tutorial.