Horrible games.

Leadfinger

Apr 21, 2010
Master of Orion 3. I loved and played the hell out of MOO1 and MOO2, but MOO3 was awful, absolutely unplayable.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Recently played Ghost Recon Future Soldier - what a piece of crap. Its more like Cod now. Also has an over reliance on the "Shoot four people at the same time" mechanic. Pointless addition. Nothing like the original. Could only play it for 5 hours then stopped.

ClockworkUniverse

Nov 15, 2012
Most disappointed I've ever been by a game was Quantum Conundrum. Was expecting an awesome puzzle game, and the third or so of the game that consists of puzzles was pretty solid, but the other two-thirds was made up of irritating execution challenges.

I've probably played worse games, but making a puzzle game and forgetting the puzzles is the dumbest design decision I've ever seen in a game.

Second-most (and possibly the worst game I've actually played) was Towns. I was expecting a complete game, but it turned out to be an early alpha. I'd have been satisfied anyway had it been a functional-but-highly-unpolished test build a la Dwarf Fortress, but what I got was a barely-functional piece of crap. Worse game overall than QC, but stands out less, to me.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Ultima IX: Ascension

Imagine if instead of three games, there were 9 Mass Effect games. Over 20 years.

Imagine if instead of being celebrated RPGs that took some flak for not being very RPG-like, they were both critically and popularly acclaimed across the board, and were not only groundbreaking for their intelligence and philosophical storytelling, but were also technological marvels that constantly pushed the boundaries of what you could expect from an RPG.

And imagine if instead of a slap-dash third game with some problematic elements and a disastrous ending, the whole thing was a disaster, from start to finish. A disaster that makes ME3 and DA2 look like the best games ever made. Garbled lore, fucked up characterizations, the Virmire sacrifice returning to life for no apparent reason, Shepard wandering around saying "What's a Turian?" and "What's a Reaper?". Bargain basement production values, with voice acting so bad it was cringe worthy. And crashes and play stopping bugs so numerous it was virtually impossible to finish the game out of the box.

Imagine all that, and then TURN IT UP TO 11.

And you'd be part of the way to appreciating the cluster-fuck that was Ultima IX.

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2012/05/29/ultima-9-ascension/

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Surprisingly, I haven't bought hardly any shit games since my ps3 became my main gaming device. Looking back, as a kid I bought some sheeeiiit games. Though my child minded tactic of "buy what looks cool" did lead me to some interesting titles.

The worst I probably own (content wise) would be F.3.A.R. I took a risk buying it without checking reviews and the game was definitely not worth $60.

Out of principle though the game I own that I hate the most is Uncharted 3. They took out the game plus features Uncharted 2 had and to add insult to injury my brand fucking new copy didn't come with an online pass code on the manual. Nothing. The line was blank. So I beat in a week and had no reason to touch it again.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Space Marine. I got it for 7 bucks and I still feel ripped off. I can handle a bad game, but that was just boring.

Karoshi

Jul 9, 2012
Shoggoth2588 said:
Add a tally to Final Fantasy XIII. I grabbed it for the PS3 after the reviews and once the price dropped a bit but before the FF13-2 reveal. I thought that it would be alright since I remember liking FFX despite the reviews giving it less than perfect 10s across the board. I didn't even mind the linearity too much but what hurt the experience for me was the combat which amounted to me selecting auto-attack and wishing the combat would just end already so I could continue clopping along another beautiful corridor. What truly and, utterly killed the experience for me was the boss fights and the fucking level cap. You see before each chapter, you can only level a character so much before you have to wait until the next chapter (this isn't as much of an issue later on) but there were some boss fights where I would get stuck being unable to win in the fight despite being maxed out. To add insult to injury, the FAQ's and videos I watched to try helping me get through those sections were absolutely no help; going so far as to call a couple of the fights I was stuck on easy.
FF13 was my first Final Fantasy and therefore the last. It felt like grinding an Asian MMO except more boring and at some point I realized that I wasted 4 hours of my life on something that I hated playing. Only game which I ever wanted to return to the store.

MrBenSampson

Oct 8, 2011
Destroy All Humans: Path of the Furon. I bought it before noticing that Pandemic's logo wasn't on the cover. One of my first experiences playing it was Crypto getting stuck waist-deep in the ground. Sadly, that was the high-point.

prophecy2514

Nov 7, 2011
Most recently AC3. In the past the few notable titles

Alpha protocol
TES: Oblivion
Dragon age origins

mrm5561

Apr 27, 2010
my worst buy was the first bio shock and prey which i got for 12$ total. i got them because my friend loved bio shock and told me how great the storyy was and prey since i saw the trailer for the new one and it looked badass. prey lasted maybe 3 hours then i lost all interest, and while i really liked bio shock's environment i never got the hang of the gameplay and got stuck with no ammo or adam after a big daddy jumped me. i can see why people like these games but for me it was a waste, and im going to trade them in to hopefully get a few more bucks off of injustice

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
I think I'd rather get punched in the face than have to play Duke Nukem Forever again. I knew it was bad, but when it got discounted to £2 I thought I couldn't be disappointed with my purchase. I was very very very wrong. I only managed about 4 hours of playing before I had to go and massively vent about it to my housemates, then delete the game.

Generic4me

Oct 10, 2012
Ass Creed 3.
It's practically the same game as 1, the characters are infuriatingly bad in every possible way, and guns just don't work with AC.

Battlefield 3. Just not fun for me, other than Team Deathmatch, I can't stand it.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
It's not horrible but I'm having a lot of trouble getting into Crysis 2. I got it for $5 for the 360 because of clearance bins and I just can't get invested in the damn thing. It's kind of like the final fantasy 13 example where the game is really pretty but...well, that's all it's got. I've murdered Soldiers before, I've murdered armor-clad aliens before, I've driven terrible vehicles in wrecked cities before all at the behest of an unseen support character. It's functional but just so run-of-the-mill. It sounds like Crysis 3 is doing the same thing as 2 only with lesser requirements so that more people can get in on the experience so I guess you could say the series is on course to being horrible.

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
My most recent purchase: Baulder's Gate: Enhanced. I have the original game on disk and thought that buying the new one would help avoid the hours of trawling the net for patches and mods when installing it. Well it solved that problem, but at what cost? No mods, no customisation, nickle and dime DLC, nothing new of any note in the game, new assets that they were to lazy to use to improve what already existed. Untill it gets steam workshop support and people can create new adventures for it, I can't see any reason to ever play enhanced over classical. And this piece of crap cost half what the price of a AAA game! What a lazy cash grab, banking on nothing but nostalgia and peoples need to own everything on steam.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Somewhat surprisingly I think I'm the first to say this, but Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Other than that...

Brink
Dead Island
Un-modded Oblivion
Deus Ex: Invisible War
Gears of War
Jericho
Alone in the Dark (the reboot from a few years back)
Command & Conquer 3: Tiberian Twilight
Diablo 3
Crysis 2
Bioshock

I'm probably going to need a flame shield for a couple of these... but yeah. Some of them may have been well-made, but in my opinion, they were all still pretty disappointing to me. Thankfully the only ones I paid full price for were Aliens: Colonial Marines and Bioshock - oddly enough being the most disappointing and least disappointing ones on the list respectively.

kyuzo3567

Jan 31, 2011
jdogtwodolla said:
There was this fighting game about Samurai on the ps2 that was just awful. The controls were terrible and for some reason I couldn't get past the first fight no matter how much I beat the opponent. I can't even remember the name of it though. It was one of the earlier titles of that systems lifetime.
Was it an Onimusha game?

OT: I think my game for me would have to be Kingdom Hearts, out of every game I've ever bought and played I just could not get into this and I only made it a few hours through before I was so annoyed and bored with the game that I just stopped playing and returned it

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
BloatedGuppy said:
Ultima IX: Ascension

Imagine if instead of three games, there were 9 Mass Effect games. Over 20 years.

Imagine if instead of being celebrated RPGs that took some flak for not being very RPG-like, they were both critically and popularly acclaimed across the board, and were not only groundbreaking for their intelligence and philosophical storytelling, but were also technological marvels that constantly pushed the boundaries of what you could expect from an RPG.

And imagine if instead of a slap-dash third game with some problematic elements and a disastrous ending, the whole thing was a disaster, from start to finish. A disaster that makes ME3 and DA2 look like the best games ever made. Garbled lore, fucked up characterizations, the Virmire sacrifice returning to life for no apparent reason, Shepard wandering around saying "What's a Turian?" and "What's a Reaper?". Bargain basement production values, with voice acting so bad it was cringe worthy. And crashes and play stopping bugs so numerous it was virtually impossible to finish the game out of the box.

Imagine all that, and then TURN IT UP TO 11.

And you'd be part of the way to appreciating the cluster-fuck that was Ultima IX.

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2012/05/29/ultima-9-ascension/
I just wanted to say that that was an awesome way of describing it. Slow clap.

Zombie Sodomy

Feb 14, 2013
Assassins Creed 3 and I think Morrowind, though it may have been another ES. AC 3 because; once he grows up, I liked young Connor; Connor is an uninteresting asshole who shoves random people, and wavers between killing for no good reason and not killing when he does have good reason. Morrowind, or whatever it was, was an immense pain in the ass. I got through the tutorial mission and the next mission sends me into the middle of a group of enemies that basically one-hit me. Oh and now I learn there's no auto save and I have to create a new character. I think I did this 5 times before returning the game. I assume there are side quests to help me level, but I can't find them. I think I managed to find maybe two quests, but they all involved me going past the area that kept killing me.