Country
United States of America
The web site for those interested.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
That's silly. What gaming company would make cardboard peripherals?!

...oh. Oh. Right. Yeah, that was a thing.
I feel like the worst kind of asshole about this, because I thought it was such a cool and unique idea but I knew it would just cause a mess in my house. I mean, not everything Nintendo does turns to gold, but bless them for trying at least.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Sounds like they changed the voice acting...to give equally atrocious voice acting.

Yay?
Just being accurate to the source material. They intentionally did that; nothing wrong here. The best voice acting you're going to get for the series is Overkill. If we're talking mainline games, then 4 has the best voice acting.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'll download my copy on Wenseday. I know it's out now, but I got to save some cash.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I'll download my copy on Wenseday. I know it's out now, but I got to save some cash.

Max brings up a great point- the HotD arcade machines, as unfair as they could be, took pains to never have you be hit by an enemy that wasn't at least mostly onscreen.

I went to the Dave & Busters at the nearby mall today, and the lightgun shooter games they have nowadays feel different- like eating quarters (or credits) was the primary design focus, rather than hiding it behind an actually entertaining experience.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Max brings up a great point- the HotD arcade machines, as unfair as they could be, took pains to never have you be hit by an enemy that wasn't at least mostly onscreen.

I went to the Dave & Busters at the nearby mall today, and the lightgun shooter games they have nowadays feel different- like eating quarters (or credits) was the primary design focus, rather than hiding it behind an actually entertaining experience.
I went to an arcade in my town a couple months ago and played... House of the Dead. Seriously, it's still there after 20 years. It's also the best value game there. You can spend 4 tokens for one 10 second spin on the gambling wheel that gives you a random amount of tickets or you can pay one token for a credit on House of the Dead and play for like 10 minutes.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I went to an arcade in my town a couple months ago and played... House of the Dead. Seriously, it's still there after 20 years. It's also the best value game there. You can spend 4 tokens for one 10 second spin on the gambling wheel that gives you a random amount of tickets or you can pay one token for a credit on House of the Dead and play for like 10 minutes.
I remember as a kid, we ended up playing all the stupid ticket winning games instead of actually having fun just so we could win stupid prizes.... oh yay colour pencils and empty cassette tapes!

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I remember as a kid, we ended up playing all the stupid ticket winning games instead of actually having fun just so we could win stupid prizes.... oh yay colour pencils and empty cassette tapes!
Yeah, my niece and nephew are the same way. Rather than play they games that are actually fun they just want useless junk.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Very weird choice to waste money and time on a port for a console with no gun support or qualification process. ggmanlives was pretty livid about it. Apparently it looks a lot better in gameplay trailers than it is whenyou play it yourself. He felt the animation is pretty lifeless.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
45-minute video? Checks out. I was never able to save all of them.
I did it once in the arcade, and never again after that.

Very weird choice to waste money and time on a port for a console with no gun support or qualification process. ggmanlives was pretty livid about it. Apparently it looks a lot better in gameplay trailers than it is when you play it yourself. He felt the animation is pretty lifeless.
I know. It was the second review I saw last week. I know he probably would not like it. Gman is not in the wrong, but I am more than willng to give the game a chance. It at least gives you control options. Hopefully, similar to the Panzer Dragoon Remake (which I did not get until the patch update. I got the Limited Run version from Best Buy), there will be a patch update that irons out most of the issues. There are 3rd party gun attachments for Joy-Cons you can find on Amazon, to possibly mitigate the issue.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I finished the game and managed to get the rank of Average Agent. Surprisingly, I got the good ending on my first try. I'll make list of the qualities to make this quick.

Pros
  • HotD1 is back at at 1-to-1 recreation. MegaPixel are clearly big fans of the series and genre. They have a big passion for this series.
  • The visuals have a cool look and face lift that fits. It is using the Unity Engine, but to good effect.
  • The game has all of these cool bonus and alternative modes. There is 5 difficulties: Easy, Normal, Hard, and Arcade. All of them have difficulty and score modifiers too.
  • Alternate control options and different customization options for crosshair color and such.
  • You're given 10 credits to start with on a fresh playthrough. If you use all of your credits, you can sacrifice your score to continue.
  • Game is on sale for $22.50 right now. You got about 10 days before the sale ends.
Cons
  • No light gun for this game is a sin. I already am not touching the joy cons for this. I opted for my wireless turbo controller. It has the gyro sensor. A standard wireless controller w/gyro turned on, or gyro with left stick aiming is the best way and easier way to play. The only problem is even with the gyro reset and these two options, I still lose my cross hair in the mayhem at times, or goes to a side of the screen I did not ask for. It did not happen that often, but it was annoying. This makes it more harder than it should for no damage or save all the hostage runs. There are achievements for those btw.
  • Enemies can be cheap. I know it's an arcade game, but this ties in the gyro controls. There are zombies that will straight up cheap shot you, or sometimes at random take too many hits to kill. I have some zombies still attack even though I blew up their fucking head! Once again, this makes certain challenge runs harder than they should.
  • No original soundtrack.* This is not the game nor developer's/publisher's fault, but they had to do a soundalike soundtrack that mostly works. Mainly because of music rights issues, and Mega nor Sega could get the rights, because all of those songs belong to different people or record labels now. Just something to be aware of. The music is surprisingly good, works, and is close enough.
  • It's on the Switch. The console itself is holding the game back in certain regards. This game is gonna get ported to PC and more powerful consoles at some point. The same thing happened to Panzer Dragoon Remake. The Playstation Move has proven it can handle House of the Dead games. Don't be surprised, when these games get ported.
  • The physical Switch version comes out in June. They're doing the double dip again.
Speaking of ports....

I thought the game was worth paying for. I do recommend the game, but if you want to wait for a better version, I do no blame you guys and gals for choosing to do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drathnoxis