How and When should you beat your meat

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
awww I was sort of expecting more from this thread :(

Title made me hopeful :(

OT: I have no idea.

smeghead25

Apr 28, 2009
I beat my meat just before I marinate it in something for a little while, whatever saucy delight takes my fancy that night. It's best when you spend some time moving it around and making sure the sauce gets everywhere. Then I cook it and eat it. It usually only takes an hour or two, depending on how long you want to marinate it.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
This shows up one of the last reasons left to go support small businesses instead of buying a prepackaged slab of cow from Walmart.

Generally the people behind the counter in the smaller private businesses actually care about the business that they are in, and will generally be happy to offer their own expertise to their customers, just for taking an interest.

bartman675

Jul 16, 2009
it depends on the cut of meat tender cuts of meat like are not tenderized. tougher cuts can be tenderized.

Gutkrusha

Nov 19, 2009
Goldeneye1989 said:
So i have currently just moved into a place of my own and found a meat wholeseller. So i buy in bulk to save some money and ive just wondered when if the best time to tenderize steaks (what did you think i meant). Before i freeze em, When i defrost them, or just before i put them in the pan. Sadly i dont have a grill or anything else so pan cooking is all i can do at this stage.

As well as any tips such as seasonings (how much, how little or just trial and error ect.)

cheers. ill be watching
Freezing time depends on the meat. Here [http://extension.missouri.edu/publications/DisplayPub.aspx?P=MP556-2] is a website that'll tell you how long you can keep something frozen before it goes.. odd. Naturally meat will start losing it's fresh taste after a week or so, even though it is still good to eat for a considerably longer time(usually).

With tenderizing, I like to do it the night before I plan on cooking the meat. A good 8-12 hours. But at the same time I like to leave the meat in a bowl of marinade during that time; it has the dual effect of continuing to tenderize the meat overnight while giving it a super awesome flavour through and through.

When it comes to seasoning, everyone has a different taste. Trial and Error is the only way you're going to know what you like.

I love being a carnivore.

Also, this:
burntheartist said:
You should only tenderize tougher cuts of beef. A steak cut should be well marbled and shouldn't be tenderized too much. Steaks benefit from having the juices seared in.

You wanna pound the crap out of the lower half cuts. Except brisket, it benefits more from low temp roasting or broiling.

But if you are going to tenderize the meat, do it right before cooking. Mostly for sanitation reasons.

Mr_spamamam

Mar 4, 2009
A good marinade i've found is Lea & Perrins Worchestershire sauce, balsamic vinager, little bit of honey, bit of lemon juice. Let it sit for an hour or so, then cook the steak in the marinade. Goes nicely with peas and potatos.

mrF00bar

Mar 17, 2009
d3structor said:
I prepare my steaks a day or two before hand and marinate them in the fridge until I cook them. that might just be me though,
I normally marinate my steaks for 2 - 3 hours before I start cooking. As for herbs ect, I normally just add what smells good at the time and some olive oil. :p

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
I recommend several spices heartily - Basil, Oregano, Parsley, Rosemary, Bay Leaf, etc.

I usually add Salt, my parents like Pepper as well.

Also, if you don't feel like using real Garlic or Onion, Garlic Powder and Onion Powder work great.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but god damn you put me in the mood to go make a burger or steak...

SlasherX

Jul 8, 2009
Super Misleading thread title is Super Misleading

OT: Marinate over night and use appropriate spice as in whatever you like the flavor of

ezeroast

Jan 25, 2009
If your freezing meat its kinda ruined for a good steak. Freezing cracks all the cells inside and all the juice runs out when you thaw... (but then school was a long time ago) If your using a cut that need to be tenderised your best bet would be a slow braise. The cheapest parts are the very best like the cheek (face).
Trust me get a hold of some beef cheeks, cover them with red wine some onions, garlic, peppercorns and a few bay leaves and cook it LONG AND SLOW in the oven covered for like 5-6 hours. Pull out the cheeks and strain the liquid.
Reduce the liquid and serve both with some mash potato. AWESOME STUFF!!

sry got carried away :p

Aug 26, 2008
I tend to do mine just before I stick it into the pan. And beat that bugger good. I like to buy cheap cuts the hammer it til it's almost mince meat. It's bloody delicious. And if you want a nice sauce dump a chunk of butter into a pan, melt that. Stir in a spoonful of flour, then a dash of milk and melt in chunks of stilton cheese. Pour that over your steak. Have your mind blown.

Gotham Soul

Aug 12, 2008
You planned this just so you could make a thread with that title you sneaky bastard. I know it.

I usually do it just after the meat is defrosted.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
I thought it was about meat, but then I thought 'Hey, mabye it's a euphamism"

Then it turned out I was right all along

Pointless Post Poster Awaaaaaaay

Bloodbane15

Jan 31, 2009
At least the thread title made everyone click on it XD

To answer your question.

I'd do it just before cooking or marinating the meat.

The whole point of tenderizing it is, after all to relax it and make it more tender to eat.
It also helps the meat take in the marinade.

So doing it before freezing is pointless because the meat would just go hard again when it freezes, and doing it before it's defrosted is also pointless because the meat isn't going to relax when it's frozen.