How are all you Escapebrits beating the heat?

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
As many windows open as i can allow, and as few clothes as possible... Still melting.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Back when I lived in a tiny room, I would keep cool by getting in to bed and clinging flat to the wall like a lizard. Now I have a spacious house, I don't have a hope of doing that without pushing around the furniture. Which I will never do in this heat.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Another dutch person chiming in (sue me!)

Bloody hot, and over here where I live it will only get hotter. And considering my chance at blacking out increases durign such weather I'll be calling in sick from work. Again.

I wish it was winter.

Evil Moo

Always Watching...
Feb 26, 2011
I am dealing with the heat by sitting in various stuffy rooms full of computers all day. Apparently this is not a very effective way to keep cool.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
The hardest question is; to ice-cream or not to ice-cream? Once you have one, the returning heat feels worse as it envelopes you like an overly huggy chubby nan who hasn't seen you in a decade. So you got to have more to stave of the creeping suffocation. And it turns into a vicious consumerist cycle where your dealer is the local corner shop with over-priced mini-milks and soleros. I can almost hear them cackling with laughter as I weakly throw my change at them from the sweaty heap on the floor that used to be me. Where's the fucking wind at?? I'll accept anything! Even a low flying seagull's breeze...anything!!

And social anxiety is no friend of heat, I can tell you, reptilian humanoids.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I can't stand heat, always been a man for cooler temperatures...

I've been surviving by moving very little, or just to a nearby park and failing at drawing, and when at home having a rotation of bottled water in the freezer, it probably makes me sweat even more due to drinking so much, but sod it, at least it gives me some respite.

I swear, heat paralyzes me so much, if I was in an rpg my fire/heat resistance stat would be -99999999

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
I moved all my furniture so I could move my PC desk into the single breeze in my house, as opposed to being a frustrating two feet from it.

Now I'm being attacked by the billowing curtain. It engulfs me.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Ezekiel said:
I don't live in Europe, but what's helping are....air conditioning.

Or maybe this?

I have never really known anyone in the UK with sophisticated AC apart from the commercial sector, it makes going to Tesco seem like a little blessing. It all seems pretty ghetto me tbh.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
31C? That's spring temperatures! Wait til you get summers that reach 45!

With regards,
Australia

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Barely at all.

The days are hot enough by themselves but I work in a kitchen and temperatures are well over 50˚c in there.

Every part of me is drenched in sweat by the end of the first hour. I could just about tolerate it but then I get the customers who come in and say "bet it's warm for you in there". NO, I was thinking of putting a damn jumper on because I am cold.

Silverbeard

Jul 9, 2013
I freely admit that I live across the pond from you English but it's just as hot here as it is anywhere.
Worse still is that I'm a clinical microbiologist by profession so I spend three to four hours out of every workday inside of a hazmat suit with an oxygen tank strapped to my aching back. There's absolutely no cooling inside the suit (of course) and the air I'm breathing is just hot air recycled out of my own lungs. I get drenched in sweat less than thirty minutes in and the best bit is that I cannot wipe any of the sweat off my face- because my soaking skin is inside the suit!
It's gotten to the point where I need to bring an extra shirt to my lab just so I can change out of the dripping sop that was once a clean shirt I wore before going into the suit. My colleagues are sympathetic enough to not crinkle their noses at my downright foul body odor but still... no-one sits next to me at break.

votemarvel said:
Every part of me is drenched in sweat by the end of the first hour. I could just about tolerate it but then I get the customers who come in and say "bet it's warm for you in there". NO, I was thinking of putting a damn jumper on because I am cold.
See above. I feel you, man. At least I don't have to deal with morons telling me stupid guff like that so... small mercies.

Xsjadoblayde said:
The hardest question is; to ice-cream or not to ice-cream? Once you have one, the returning heat feels worse as it envelopes you like an overly huggy chubby nan who hasn't seen you in a decade. So you got to have more to stave of the creeping suffocation. And it turns into a vicious consumerist cycle where your dealer is the local corner shop with over-priced mini-milks and soleros. I can almost hear them cackling with laughter as I weakly throw my change at them from the sweaty heap on the floor that used to be me. Where's the fucking wind at?? I'll accept anything! Even a low flying seagull's breeze...anything!!

And social anxiety is no friend of heat, I can tell you, reptilian humanoids.
Shouldn't you be devouring salmon and various fauna right now? That winter blubber's not going to grow itself, you know.

doggy go 7

Jul 28, 2010
mad825 said:
Ezekiel said:
I don't live in Europe, but what's helping are....air conditioning.

Or maybe this?

I have never really known anyone in the UK with sophisticated AC apart from the commercial sector, it makes going to Tesco seem like a little blessing. It all seems pretty ghetto me tbh.
What's the point of air-con when you'd use it 5 days out of 365? Makes perfect sense that it's not really that common in the UK.

OT: I'm actually in LA on holiday at the moment, temperature's around 30 here too, so it's hardly cooler, but this being America there is air con so I'm surviving pretty decently

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
Ha, I laugh at your pitiful summers. Was in Netherlands a week, was warned about how hot summer was and it was pretty much equal to a cold, drier day back home. It even got cold at times.

Of course, homeland just finally got out of a year and a half long summer (Thanks El Nino, you bastard) and was having daily forest fires so I was used to it.

Hopefully after this, there'll be less complaining about colder seasons now as you'll see how cool (heh) those are to someone like me.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
I'm used of the high humidity of previous years. Canada is pretty dry right now so the heat is fine. Humidity is low. I like that. The nights have been fall-like cold so I can quite enjoy that as well, an open window is all I've needed.

Winter 2015 was absolutely cold at -15 so it's not like I'm terribly against warmer weather. Just stay out of direct sunlight and the noon-ish times to avoid burning.

If need be, I'd get myself another AC unit. My current one seems to be out of commission and would probably cost as much to fix as to replace entirely.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
It is 4am. I only just managed to get to sleep within the last 3 hours.
I am very much not beating the heat. Just had to turn my fan on so I can cool down and try to sleep some more after some sort of fever dream/nightmare. Similar story during the day. Need the fan on at all times.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Sitting in front of two fans, with all my windows open. Still not quite enough.
Though a month from now, I'm moving into a new condo, which actually has air conditioning. That will be wonderful...

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
Days like these, it's even worth going to work to get air conditioning. The only issue becomes sleeping when it's about 30 degrees indoors.

On the bright side, it still doesn't seem as bad as earlier in the year when we had 90% humidity, and everything got hazy and smelt of weed in the evening (or was that just my estate?).