how can i get better at cod?

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
I was in the same position as you. Just be aware that there is a lot of random crap in Modern Warfare 2 so you will have bad games where you just get hit by every Predator Missile/Grenade Launcher in existence.

Very good tips here, especially the last one. I cannot stress how annoying it is when players on my team are completely unaware of what's going on around them, and instead of turning around to shoot someone appearing on the radar, they just stand there like a lemon.

Also, one last one that no one seems to mention. For the love of god, don't just watch the same angle as your teammates; having four guys watching the same corridor means that a) you're less likely to get a kill yourself b) more likely to get surrounded by the enemy team and c) more likely to be the victim of a multikill. If your team are watching one area, cover the back or the side, spread out a little. Don't go all rambo though.

PauL o_O

Feb 15, 2009
Enjoy the game. If you get to good, stupid little errors that are normally the games fault will piss you off to no end.

No one cares if you're the best at a video game tbh.

pha kin su pah

Mar 26, 2008
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
Okay, here's how to be good at COD.

Firstly, DON'T TRY TO DO ANYTHING IMPRESSIVE. If you can't no scope, quick scope, whatever, don't do it until you've had practice in a private match with friends!

Second, always have a class you are comfortable with. I'd recommend using stopping power with an assault rifle, preferably one with little recoil. Unless you know how to snipe, I'd avoid having that as a class as well. Assault rifles will be your best friend in many scenarios.

Third, don't always sprint, and know when to hold back. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen people blindly run around a corner just to get killed by a hail of bullets. And if your team is being badly dominated, hold back in friendly territory. Just try and defend that spot at all costs, and once a break appears, try and get some people to make a move with you.

Fourth, camping is a legitimate tactic. It will make many enemies, but you certainly should die a lot less. But what you don't want to do is stay in one spot for too long. Move to a new location, get a kill or two, move somewhere else.

Fifth, always have a UAV as a killstreak. I have joined so many teams where no one else has a UAV, and we're left in the dark for a majority of the game. It only takes 3 kills, and it helps everyone on your team. But this doesn't mean rely solely on it; it takes a second to update, just enough time for the person you were watching to run around a corner and kill you, and there are cold-blooded people.

Lastly, and most importantly, REMEMBER THAT IT'S JUST A GAME. Many people get frustrated over this game, myself included. The easiest way to avoid this is to just relax, grab some buddies, and goof around in the game. If you want to be more serious though, there's no shame in leaving a server where you're being badly dominated. Just find another match, maybe a different gametype, and start over. Or if worst comes to worst, just turn off the game for a few minutes, take a deep breath, then do something else for a bit.
Besides seconding all this advice, I'd also add, stick to the outside of the map, they are generally lower traffic areas, and keeping your back to the end of the map means less chance of people shooting you in the back, you can control the situation alot more.

Also stick to the 3/4/5 set up, (definately keep the UAV), but once you start earning them easily, and it becomes almost second nature getting a killstreak working, you can then switch it up to something higher.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
the lapalminator said:
i really want to be amazing at cod by the time black ops comes out
Go to Youtube and look up videos by Hutch, Seananners,
Especially these guys. They are just good people to listen to.

Switch to a tactical setup and when you get into a one on one with someone dropshot them bitches. It works a good 70% of the time.

Also, Do the whole Scavenger claymore shindig and stay away from the enemy. Let them come to you. People hate it, and it gets you comfortable with the game.

Theron Julius

Nov 30, 2009
It's easy! Stop playing in a fair logical manner and exploit that piece of crap game. Use noobtubes, RPGs, One Man Army ammo refill, etc. The exploits are endless and won't be fixed because Activision is a bunch of money scrounging douchebags! If the pattern continues we'll see an equal amount of unfixed exploits in Black Ops.

QCX

Aug 9, 2010
Go read a book. Seriously Sun Tzu's the art of war.

Use cover and concealment

Always have full health before moving to open area's

Flank and out flank

Make sure you play on a server with a low ping (I can't stress how much you need this)

Exploit your enemies weakness

When all else fails...dust 'em

Don't be a hero

Use a mouse and keyboard (with good DPi, 1600 or more)

Practice Practice Practice

Stop playing a shit game and play bad company 2

RagnorakTres

Feb 10, 2009
L3m0n_L1m3 said:

Firstly, DON'T TRY TO DO ANYTHING IMPRESSIVE. If you can't no scope, quick scope, whatever, don't do it until you've had practice in a private match with friends!

Second, always have a class you are comfortable with. I'd recommend using stopping power with an assault rifle, preferably one with little recoil. Unless you know how to snipe, I'd avoid having that as a class as well. Assault rifles will be your best friend in many scenarios.

Third, don't always sprint, and know when to hold back. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen people blindly run around a corner just to get killed by a hail of bullets. And if your team is being badly dominated, hold back in friendly territory. Just try and defend that spot at all costs, and once a break appears, try and get some people to make a move with you.

Fourth, camping is a legitimate tactic. It will make many enemies, but you certainly should die a lot less. But what you don't want to do is stay in one spot for too long. Move to a new location, get a kill or two, move somewhere else.

Fifth, always have a UAV as a killstreak. I have joined so many teams where no one else has a UAV, and we're left in the dark for a majority of the game. It only takes 3 kills, and it helps everyone on your team. But this doesn't mean rely solely on it; it takes a second to update, just enough time for the person you were watching to run around a corner and kill you, and there are cold-blooded people.

Lastly, and most importantly, REMEMBER THAT IT'S JUST A GAME. Many people get frustrated over this game, myself included. The easiest way to avoid this is to just relax, grab some buddies, and goof around in the game. If you want to be more serious though, there's no shame in leaving a server where you're being badly dominated. Just find another match, maybe a different gametype, and start over. Or if worst comes to worst, just turn off the game for a few minutes, take a deep breath, then do something else for a bit.
This man is correct on all points. He's already said most of what I would say. Allow me to add one more thing.....

Learn squad based tactics. The pincer. The flank. The spearhead. Get in good with a few good players (I have a group of about 3 others that I usually run with) and play together. Learn each others' strengths and weaknesses and use/counter them as appropriate. Build a squad. You may get accused of hacking if you work together well enough, but if so, wear it as a badge of honor. I met a guy earlier who was accused of hacking and I could tell that he was simply so used to backing up his teammates that he would move back to support the random people on his team if he realized he was too far ahead.

This isn't to say that moving quietly and singly isn't a squad tactic. How do you think the Seals work? (From what I understand, I am not a Navy Seal, as awesome as that would be:) They move in a ragged group, spaced far enough apart that a grenade won't kill more than one or two of them and cover each other constantly. They move from cover to cover in staggered steps, one person breaks while the rest watch his back.

The problem I've found with most MW2 players is that they suffer from "Lone Wolf" or "Hero" syndrome, they don't really have the patience to learn to work with other people. As a result, if you and three of your friends (or even you and one other person) are good at working as a unit, you will absolutely dominate most people in that game.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
I play way better while drunk. It really helps with my quick twitch control.

AyrSuppli

Nov 2, 2009
L3m0n_L1m3 said:

Wow. That's actually much more in-depth than I expected, and within the first ten posts, too.

My advice would generally be "play a buttload."

the lapalminator

Jul 27, 2010
ww666 said:
How about stop playing FPS, go outside try to hook up with some girl.

Maybe it's just me, but I think a little sex is better than an FPS.
trust me ive tried to get pussy, its even harder to get dick where im from

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Really? The game's mostly reflexes. Play a lot, build up those snap instincts. Drink a lot of caffeinated beverages. Hell, that's how *I* got so good.

Frankly, the only way that you're going to win easily at MW2 is by using nothing but cheese. Noob tubes, rockets, all those cheap, crap weapons? They're your friend. You'll get more kills by doing crap like that than anything else without lots of practice.

However, if you feel like not contributing to the cancer, pick a weapon class that you like and practice with it. Get used to going around corners with your scope up (assault only, of course) and checking everywhere. Like I said, it's mostly reflexes, so practice practice practice.

ww666 said:
How about stop playing FPS, go outside try to hook up with some girl.

Maybe it's just me, but I think a little sex is better than an FPS.
Yeah, I'd say that sex is better than FPSes. Something tells me that you only know that by word-of-mouth, however.

JoeBattisti

Sep 30, 2009
You just keep playing.

Learn the maps.

Find guns you like and perform well with.

If you're rushing, learn good routes to get into the other team's spawn quickly and efficiently.

If you're sniping, find good spots that other players won't expect.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
1 Know the controls, be able to sight and target and hit stuff faster than your opponents.
2 Know the maps, guns, and other aspects of the game. Understand the code behind the game.
3 Play Smart. Read the map and know where your enemies spawn, and what the common paths are.

If you do those 3 things then you always get first.

May 5, 2010
Don't go out of your way to try and make awesome things happen, you just distracted and end up sucking. Let the awesome come on it's own.

Mar 9, 2010
the lapalminator said:
i really want to be amazing at cod by the time black ops comes out

unfortenataly im horrible. i cant get a killstreak and i get kill death ratios like 18 deaths to 7 kills or 3 kills to 10 deaths:(

HELP PLZ!!!!:(
Forget that Kill to Death ratio. Forget getting your killstreaks. They are small boosts to your game.

Stay calm, be aware and don't get angry. 90% of the game is reflexes. The other 10% is your class. Make sure when you're in the field you kill then reload. When you're sniping hide in a bush and stay away from common spots, use cold blooded pro and ninja to be extra hidden. Knifing players is easy and simple, but it'll earn you hatred. Be trigger happy and set your finger ablaze when using a gun that isn't burst or auto.

Also, keep your ears open.

Protocol95

May 19, 2010
What L3m0n_L1m3 said. Also when I try to get reaction time up I keep doing the pit over and over, so that may help.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Practice, find the weapons that fit your stregnths. and if you can, find a way to decrease your reaction time. that's more or less the secret. past that it's all luck

KrazyShrink

Aug 6, 2010
Know the weapon stats.
http://denkirson.xanga.com/715966769/modern-warfare-2/
http://denkirson.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=417

Then play FFA, find a good base, lay down claymores at entrances shoot out.