How can you justify this view-point?

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
So, I have currently gone into another year at my school. The year before we got a new Head Master, and he has made a lot of changes. He's changed the school uniform (i'm British btw), put everyone into a class system and has put a business park over the road (or at least going to). He has also made most of the veteran teachers and senior staff redundant, and replaced them with business people. Anyway, all of that doesn't matter but what does matter is what he said in our opening assembly.

"If you have lost a relative, it is not an excuse to do bad in school. I once said to my nephews after they lost their mother "just because this happened, is not your excuse to start failing in school"

The main reason I'm offended is because I lost my father when I was 6, it affected most of my school work and social life. He is basically saying that if you have had a life affecting tragedy, that doesnt mean you dont have to do your work.

So escapees, what do you think could justify this, or make it unjustifiable.

[EDIT] He has also just sent out a person who had just lost two of her brothers in a terrible car accident because she was being ill mannered and wanted to have attention. Theres some more reasons for you to call him an asshole

[return of the edit!] For people who have been asking about the context, it was at a start of year assembly where he boasts about last years exam results and tell us all to behave well and not be naughty.

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
What a wanker. I could justify it, but then I'd have to think like a wanker, and I hate that.
But I'm sure it goes something like "They're gone now and can't affect you anymore. Carry on."

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Jedamethis said:
What a wanker. I could justify it, but then I'd have to think like a wanker, and I hate that.
But I'm sure it goes something like "They're gone now and can't affect you anymore. Carry on."
Yeah, this. It's easy to justify, but you just feel so dirty doing it.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
I lost my sister at a young age and it jacked me up for a long time. That guy can eat the BIGGEST and SWEATIEST penis on earth.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
This guy is a complete asshole. He might as well be saying "grieving for lost family members and friends is for pussies".

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
ZeroMachine said:
Jedamethis said:
What I want to know is how you could justify it? Not if you feel bad doing so. Just because I dont understand it.

Apprentice1994

Aug 17, 2011
Grr... I hate to be THAT guy that justifies it, but here goes.

Crying over your loss isn't going to fix anything. The best thing you can do is to move on. Life goes on.

I think that's the underlying point.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Apprentice1994 said:

Crying over your loss isn't going to fix anything. The best thing you can do is to move on. Life goes on.

I agree that this was probably his underlying point.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Coming from a professional psychiatrist (not myself, a relative of mine):

Mourning is a vital and necessary part of any loss, mourning takes time. Taking a step back for a period to come to terms with your loss is healthy and recommended. Not giving yourself that time and space can lead to problems down the road.

You can't justify this. Not morally, not emotionally and not even logically.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Apprentice1994 said:

Yes, that is right. But the context of it was uncalled for, if he was a counsellor that was trying to help you then that would be fine. But he's a Head Master to a school of young people and he wants us to believe that if you do bad because your grieving, then you are being very naughty. Also, he didn't mean that crying wasn't fixing anything, he was saying crying is not allowed to affect you anywhere but home.

raklin

Mar 26, 2011
I can see where he's coming from, but fail to see such an extreme stance being worth the flack he'll no doubt get from parents.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
IT's quite easy to justify.

The family member is gone. No amount of grieving is ever going to bring them back however if you fuck up at school thats your whole future riding on it.

Thats usually how someone like that thinks anyway.

Before some serious mental case starts trying to abuse me thats not how I feel thats just how people can justify it.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
ToastiestZombie said:
ZeroMachine said:
Jedamethis said:
What I want to know is how you could justify it? Not if you feel bad doing so. Just because I dont understand it.
Alright, hold on a sec...

..............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ*CLICK*

--DEACTIVATING EMOTIONAL RESPONSE SUBROUTINE
--PLEASE ENTER KILL CODE
--CODE CONFIRMED
--EMOTIONAL RESPONSE SUBROUTINE INACTIVE

Ok. If you had a job, you would get only a specific amount of time off to mourn. Usually, the days of the funeral/wake. If you were to fuck up your job because of it, on average, you would lose that job. That logic can carry over to kids in school. Yeah, it sucks, but part of life is about dealing with that bullshit and getting over it. You can't let that stuff fuck up your life, because there will come a time where you need to deal with it, a lot. It is a point that rings very true... but it is a tad harsh to push on kids.

Now, excuse me while I go kill puppies and ignore children crying over it. I may also steal their candy and punch their noses.

Michailov

Oct 15, 2009
First off, take your offended feelings away. I am sorry and you have my condolences but taking offense from that is neither the point nor his intentions.

As he replaced 'em oldies' with new fresh blood might've just been an economical reason or that he's all busy optimizin an streamlining ALL the students.

anyhoot, to his point, and mine.
Easiest way to justify it (And I should state that I've never lost someone close) is that while its sad, tragic and crushing etc, nothing can be done about it. Cold and inhumane? yes, true? yes.
While the person who passed away for sure didn't intend for your grades to drop.

The thing is though, it's naive and basicly stupid to even think that people will carry that pokerface even as early as two years after.

So how shall I justify it?
Said person have no warmth in his family relationship and he compensates by driving a sportcar and is competetive as fuck.

/xoxo
M
the ignorant tool

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
based on the lack of a violent reaction, i doubt this is scotland (also you said you're british).
which is a reasonable reaction. what a prick. he sounds like a fucking retarded head. a business park? really? (i want to take a moment to wtf this.)
my school has one and we had to be evacuated because some stupid wanker managed to ignite magnesium and burn down the whole park.
now think about that evacuation, then think about a high school fire drill. now imagine them at the same time in the same place.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
ZeroMachine said:
ToastiestZombie said:
ZeroMachine said:
Jedamethis said:
Alright, hold on a sec...

..............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ*CLICK*

--DEACTIVATING EMOTIONAL RESPONSE SUBROUTINE
--PLEASE ENTER KILL CODE
--CODE CONFIRMED
--EMOTIONAL RESPONSE SUBROUTINE INACTIVE

Ok. If you had a job, you would get only a specific amount of time off to mourn. Usually, the days of the funeral/wake. If you were to fuck up your job because of it, on average, you would lose that job. That logic can carry over to kids in school. Yeah, it sucks, but part of life is about dealing with that bullshit and getting over it. You can't let that stuff fuck up your life, because there will come a time where you need to deal with it, a lot. It is a point that rings very true... but it is a tad harsh to push on kids.

Now, excuse me while I go kill puppies and ignore children crying over it. I may also steal their candy and punch their noses.
Haha, I must admit that post was funny. Still, I agree with that justification and I think its right, but I dont agree with it when it comes out the mouth who has sacked everyone the kids liked, hired souless bastards for there replacement, and cares all about money and not about the childrens wellbeing. I would be fine with that if it came out the mouth of a close relative, or counseller, its all about the context.

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
I believe his point is that grieving for a lost loved one will not accomplish anything, and the flaw in his logic is that it's easy to recognize that there isn't a direct and identifiable point to mourning, but impossible to actually stop. Unless you're a sociopath, you cannot will away emotions, and being told to do so is the quickest and easiest way to foster resentment. If my mother died, and the first thing an adult said to me is that my loss cannot affect my schoolwork, I would deck the bastard, because that is failure to recognize a basic human response to tragedy.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
TrilbyWill said:
based on the lack of a violent reaction, i doubt this is scotland (also you said you're british).
which is a reasonable reaction. what a prick. he sounds like a fucking retarded head. a business park? really? (i want to take a moment to wtf this.)
my school has one and we had to be evacuated because some stupid wanker managed to ignite magnesium and burn down the whole park.
now think about that evacuation, then think about a high school fire drill. now imagine them at the same time in the same place.
He is also adding.

.An indoor cricket field
.An academy for pretty much every sport you can think off (sadly no cheese rolling)
.Making a brand new school and sports uniform compulsory to everyone who's not in sixth form
.Adding a house system, thus compeletly changing the whole staff system
.A thing where kids can make the cafeteria food.