How did you choose your username?

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Back in the early '00s, I got tired of taking Pokémon or Digimon themed names in every chatroom or forum I went on, so I decided to come up with something new. Since I love cats, I took the word "cat" and typed out a bunch of random strings of letters in front of it until I found something that sounded cool and unique. I've used it ever since.

Gamegeneral

Dec 3, 2008
My username, Gamegeneral, is an evolution of an old one, Gamesoldier, I used to have way back when. The old one was randomly generated on Pogo dot com when I was like frickin' 14.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I liked turtles back then.
And also alliteration, actually.

Would change it to something if I could though.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Because Gordon the Big Engine was a motherfucking boss. Also his tender number was 4.

Besides that, there's just something seriously charming and impressive about old steam locomotives.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
San Martin said:
RedDeadFred said:
It rhymes. I like the name, Fred. It's related to video games.

Oddly enough, I haven't ever played any of the Red Dead games.
Oh yeah, sure...the guy in the $6000 tuxedo's gonna explain his username. Come on!

You have the best avatar on the Escapist.
Okay okay okay so should should should should shoulda should sh should sh sh shhhhh...

Ahem. Thank you.

To be honest, I wanted to get one with him doing his chicken impersonation, but I don't think there's gif that can do it justice. The sounds he makes are too important!

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
Way back when I first started to roam the net I had real troubble landing on a nickname that I could use anywhere, because most things I came up with was usually taken by someone somewhere. One day I just started calling myself Rattjamann because it was something I knew never would be used. It does not mean anything, It just sounded funny at the time.
Over the years I've encountered numerus places where 9 characters was too long, so I cut it down to just Rattja.

I like the idea of having a name that is mine and mine alone, even though it may not be the "best" of names I like it.
It is short and easy to remember and hilarious to hear people try and pronounce it without being able to roll the R like we up north do.
I also like the idea that if someone should recongnize the name somewhere, it is 100% sure that is me and nobody else.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Mine's a lyrical quote from a band I don't really listen to as much these days as I used to, but I've been using the name since around 2000, so I'm unlikely to change it any time soon.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Huh, not posted in one of these for a while I guess. It's a name as I use for characters in games when I can. I got it from the Neurosis album/song: The Eye Of Every Storm. Not their best or my favourite but it made for an easy name. I think I've seen others using it about (in that I've Googled it once or twice) so I wonder where they got it.

I also use Ekybob, which is derived from a nickname my Grandad used to have - based on our given/middle names.

RedDeadFred said:
To be honest, I wanted to get one with him doing his chicken impersonation, but I don't think there's gif that can do it justice. The sounds he makes are too important!
Has anyone in this family ever even seen a chicken?

Scarecrow1001

Jun 27, 2011
Mine is from the main character of Ice Station, by Matthew Reilly, Shane 'Scarecrow' Schofield, the 1001 stems from the name 'Scarecrow' being taken on PSN, so I went with Scarecrow101, which I then promptly lost the details, to, forcing me to go to Scarecrow1001, which I now use for everything!

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
So One Piece is my addiction. I started it way back in High School with the 4kids anime, and started to read the manga in bulk when it went off air. For the longest time I couldn't name a favorite character, because there were too many good ones. After a certain point into the series, a character that that wasn't anywhere near my top ten started rising among the ranks. He had the biggest and craziest design, he did the most random stuff that made me laugh, and he actually had a good bit of character depth that I discovered through re-reads. He's a bro, a friend, and a father figure in one package, and is a cyborg full of surprises. That's right, my home boy, mother f*ing Franky.

With that out of the way, the other fact is that I have an account on a different forum. For here, I didn't want to use the same one, and just Franky or something with the name didn't work for me, so I went with Cyborg, and added in his catch phrase.

TL:DR, I made a play on words with my favorite One Piece character, who is my avatar.

theNater

Feb 11, 2011
I had The Terminator on my mind, but Dragon Warrior's name entry field only held 8 characters.

Hilariously, the UI only had room for 4, so I was basically theN for the duration of the game.

Feb 4, 2014
I really like the Kingdom Hearts franchise and I wanted to come up with a fun name but then I remembered the scene in KH1 where Donald and Goofy asked Sora to stop frowning and smile :D. However that smile was, to me at least, a little messed up as it was saying 'prepare your anus' >:3
However since this is Kingdom Hearts I obviously used the only correct term here and that is Keyhole :D

I should mention that I suck at naming things :3

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
My user name is a real life nickname, what my friends have called me since I was 15, and I use some version of it in the games I play as well.

ArcadianDrew

Sep 3, 2014
This is the first gaming forum I've joined, so I wanted a username to do with my gaming experiences. I'm called Andy and Skies of Arcadia is one of my favourite games. I've never had much imagination.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Setting up my first email account with my (now) hubby, I tried a few things but they were all taken. In desperation I asked him
"What name should I use?" his reply "Put owt in"

And I did, and it's stuck, and I'm very fond of it

prowll

Aug 19, 2008
Long story:
Back in '91, (Yes, I'm old, get over it.) I started playing a game of GURPS Supers with a bunch of army guys I knew. My character was Prowll, a smart (150 iq, not 'reed richards' smart) speedy guy that had the unfortunate past of being a half-man, half tiger genetic experiment. So the only place he could really fit in was furry conventions. Anyway, he was also really good at organizational skills, management, and legal wrangling, so he ended up being the 'head' of the JLA-type group that got created.

In this group was another fellow with the same first name as myself. As it's not a common name, we both hadn't had this issue before, and so both of us responded to every time our name was mentioned. As a result, people started calling him 'Red' for his flaming red hair, and me, Prowll.

The nickname stuck. People would introduce me to THEIR friends as 'Prowll'. I knew one guy for 2 years before he realized I wasn't named by hippies or something. It was on my business cards at work.

Spanglish Guy

Sep 8, 2014
My name come is pretty straightforward. Half my family is English, dad's side, the other Spanish, mum's side. As a result I speak both languages well enough so I thought why not make a user name out of that.

My other username that I also use is Cdr JamesCool. A pretty old username that I still use for my older account although when making new accounts I will generally use my escapist one instead. Anyway the reason I have this username is entirely because I was young when I made it and decided to copy my dad's username (Cdr JohnCool). I know unoriginal but I was only young and I had this bizarre idea that I was 'carrying the mantle' or something like that. Oh and no it doesn't have cool in the name because I think I'm cool or something (far from it), it's an in-house thing.

Serum211

Sep 28, 2009
Oh my, this is was long ago. I was making my steam account somewhere back in 08/09 and I needed a username. I was think of a random word, and got Serum. Trouble was that was, of course, already taken. And so steam just suggested I throw some random numbers on the end. One of those suggestions was 211. I just rolled with it, and as such my entire internet identity was made by steam suggesting random numbers at the end of a random word. Internet life is funny like that.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
I once had the thought of the Greek figure Atlas holding up the world, like he does, nothing of note going on. Then someone tells him a joke or something funny happens and he giggles merrily, causing earthquakes and damaging the world. Schadenfreude and feelings of petty revenge for his burden set in, and he laughs harder, and harder, and harder, shaking the world to pieces.

I thought it was funny too.