How did you find out about the escapist?

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Strain42 said:
I was on the phone with my best friend and he told me to look up Zero Punctuation, this was back when there weren't that many reviews to watch (I think the first new episode for me was Silent Hill Origins) and I watched Assassin's Creed.

Maybe I should have expected it from a series called Zero Punctuation, but was anyone else thrown off by Yahtzee's speedy delivery style the very first time they watched him? I know it's just the norm for most of us now, but I can't imagine being the only person who first heard him and was very confused for a moment or two.
Yeah. At first I had to really pay attention to understand him. I don't know if I just got use to it, or if he slowed down just a little bit, but now I don't really have to try all that hard anymore.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
A random Google search which led me to the forums which led me to one of Moviebob's reviews.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
A friend recommended Yahtzee's videos to me. I'd heard of him on TV Tropes, but the whole "accentuate the negative" thing led me not to seek him out. Then the friend convinced me to watch a video and notice that he was, in fact, hilarious.

At some point after that, I noticed the forum topics next to the videos and signed up.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I remember googling "Valkirya Chronicles Review" and I found ZP's review. Being American and unfamiliar with Yahtzee's style I remember thinking "I can't understand a word he's saying." And then left, a couple of months later, I found his L4D review, this time I understood a little better because I became interested. Then I remember seeing a thumbnail for another game I've played, and I spent the rest of the day just watching his reviews.

For the longest time (I think about a year) I just came to the site to watch Yahtzee and never bothered to get an account, but then I looked to the right one day and saw a thread that intrigued me. So I created an account and posted on that thread. People liked what I had to say and I got quoted a lot. Ever since then I've been addicted to forums and I post stuff constantly hoping that someone will find my opinion meaningful. And yes I should probably get that checked.

EDIT:
Strain42 said:
Maybe I should have expected it from a series called Zero Punctuation, but was anyone else thrown off by Yahtzee's speedy delivery style the very first time they watched him? I know it's just the norm for most of us now, but I can't imagine being the only person who first heard him and was very confused for a moment or two.
Posted before I read yours, no you weren't the only one.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Chibz said:
Imp Emissary said:
I hope you don't mind, or get mad at my lack of information......But who is this Rob you speak of? I'm a bit new.
He made a series called Unforgotten Realms [www.urealms.com] a D&D parody show. Fantastic humour.
Chibz said:
Imp Emissary said:
I hope you don't mind, or get mad at my lack of information......But who is this Rob you speak of? I'm a bit new.
He made a series called Unforgotten Realms [www.urealms.com] a D&D parody show. Fantastic humour.
:( Sorry friend. I tried the link you gave (and a site search), but I just got a 404 error saying the file can't be found. I like DnD though ( :( never got to play as of yet.) so I'll try to find it.
:) I'm sure its good though. Most everything on the Escapist is. Thank you.

NovaCascade

Oct 2, 2010
It was a fairly roundabout way for me. I saw some of Daniel Floyd's videos on screwattack, then went across to his YouTube account and subscribed there in the hopes of some more episodes being made. After many months and nothing happening he posted a video about a new show called "Extra Credits" starting up on this website called the escapist. So across I came. It was only after this that I found zero punctuation and realized it was a show my friend had been telling me to watch for years

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Imp Emissary said:
www.urealms.com

If that doesn't work, then I don't know what to tell ya. Turns out it's probably just some... oddity with how the escapist handles the url tag.

drifter94

May 19, 2011
I was at Google, looking up prototype and the first page had Yahtzee's review of it.I clicked on it and have loved this website ever since.

Condor219

Sep 14, 2010
Yahtzee. Yahtzee. Yahtzee. Yahtzee. Yahtzee.

This will be the content of basically every comment in this thread.

Oh, wait, how did I first see Yahtzee? Well a friend showed me a review and I thought it was hilarious.

Mr.Incognitus

Dec 7, 2010
Mines pretty similar to a lot of other peoples, I was told to watch Zero Punctuation and I've been here since

Gasaraki

Oct 15, 2009
I think Penny Arcade mentioned Zero Punctuation at some point, I checked it out and voila.

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
When Zero Punctuation moved from youtube to here. I guess for most people, the answer is going to be Yahtzee.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
I remember being redirected here for a Yahtzee video, and I just never left. o_o;;

Curtisin

Mar 1, 2011
Unlike most people I didn't get here for Yahtzee. Yes, he's funny and has some points, but he's far from my first stop here at the Escapist.

I was linked here through Shamus' Young's website / Blog (been reading his DM of the Rings), and went "oh, that sounds interesting". I saw something called Extra Credits, and been hooked since.
Extra Credits is my first stop here, then Shamus, then the (unfortunately very infrequent) Check for Traps articles, and then everyone else. (Seems strange to lump Escape to the Movies, The Big Picture, Zero Punctuation, the Tales of the Table and the Jimquisition into the same group, but there you have it). - Too bad I can't get myself started on LoadingReadyRun and the Pro Gamer Gauntlet.

Liudeius

Oct 5, 2010
Zero Punctuation... This is awesome! What's that E thing in the corner? Escapist? What's that?