How do people stay thin?

Xealeon

Feb 9, 2009
1 and 1/2 hours of rigorous martial arts training every day. Plus being so engrossed in gaming/programming that I accidentally forget to eat every now and then.

NickKuroshi0

Dec 23, 2010
Every now and then I will get so out touch with reality and begin running around the house and jumping around, my metabolism has slowed down but I havent gained any fat.

Buzz3092

Jul 25, 2008
Stick to drinking nothing but water and eating nothing but healthy stuff like rice, beans, chicken, and stuff like that. It's cheap and can taste really good if you can follow cooking directions from the Internet. You still need to ration the food but eating a lot of that food won't set you back as much as most food would. As everyone known though, dieting alone isn't enough. You also need to be active. A really effective way of working out I've thought of is to not drive to the grocery store if it's between one and two miles (or around 2 km) away from where you live. Working out more will help if you have a slow metabolism but working out to eat should keep a balance. Just in case you don't get enough vitamins and minerals from the food, it might be a good idea to buy supplements too but that depends on what you buy.

This is what works for me to stay thin and has been helping my fiancee lose weight incredibly fast but there's no promise that it will work for everyone. Since you're already good at walking, it might be best if you add a different workout. Try something you haven't practiced much or at all.

Zorak the Mantis

Oct 17, 2007
It's really a combination of proper exercise, healthy diet, and metabolism. If you are one of those people that has a slow metabolism try keeping track of your diet. Record the calories, fat, and carbs that you intake. One thing people often overlook are the carbs. Things like rice, potatoes, and bread will really pack on the pounds if you do not burn enough energy. So finding a balance between intake and energy consumption is key to losing weight.

As far as exercise goes, short intense bursts of cardio will burn the most energy. Try to do an intense 10-15 minute routine twice a day. It will be much more effective than an hour on the treadmill. Again the key is to burn more energy than you take in, so that your body will consume it's fat stores.

Xannidel

Feb 16, 2011
Seeing as I have always had a high metabolism I cannot really give any tips to those who wish to lose weight but the best thing you can do is to just eat less and less and try different other types of diets, working out, etc etc.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
It's a lot easier to stay thin than to get thin, All I do is walk daily, I have a very physical job, and I do Wii Fiit for 30 minutes to an hour. I eat two meals a day and I rarely eat until I'm full. Very few snacks, maybe a small bowl of ice crean or a bowl of cereal. I like cranberries.

scythian0528

Mar 27, 2009
tavelkyosoba said:
The only people who can lose massive amounts of weight are thin people who got fat. There IS a big difference. Just ask them if they were fat when they were 7? No, I assure you, they were not...

Weight is not an indicator for heart disease, cholesterol MAY be but they're not even sure about that. The statistics are heavily muddled.
No, and no. My friend got fat during his childhood and only changed his lifestyle when he realized he was going to die if he continued that way. He did weight watchers, nearly died after eating only 2 points a day and was hospitalized. When he recovered he took a moderate approach eating healthily and doing a great deal of cardio, and has lost 300lbs since freshmen year of high school.

Obesity is a massive health problem that can contribute to a number of different illnesses and conditions. There may be minor disputes in medicine, there is no dispute in regards to whether obesity is dangerous.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
They eat smaller portions, less often and slower. And in many cases exercise reguarly. Maintaining weight is far easier than losing weight(or gaining muscle). You only have to keep semi-active and not eat like a pig.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Kytseo said:
I've wanted to lose weight for a while now, and I have tried nearly everything (except diet pills and starving, I have my standards). The weird thing is that quite a few people I know tend to stay thin despite regularly eating burger king and such. I know some of them do work out, but some (like my girlfriend) somehow can stay thin without working out and despite apparently eating a lot (hell, I'm in much worse shape than my girlfriend, yet I have an easier time walking, thank you Mini-Boot Camp). I gotta ask, when it comes to those people, what's their secret?
If you build up some muscle mass you'll speed up your metabolism. Some foods can help with that too.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Mastodonic said:
Slayer_2 said:
A great metabolism. I eat McDonalds at least a few times a week, and rarely eat healthy "It's been 5 weeks since my last vegetable..."
Rubbish. You burn on avg 2000 calories a day depending on your weight. A big mac only has 540 calories. So the avg person could eat 3 to 4 big macs a day and gain no weight. It has fuck all to do with "metabolism" and everything to do with MATH!

calories in - calories used = net loss/gain

The End.
You can't do math without accurate stats. You have no idea what my meal is. Also, factor in that I don't just eat one meal a day, try 2-3 and 1-2 snacks.

tavelkyosoba

Oct 6, 2009
scythian0528 said:
tavelkyosoba said:
The only people who can lose massive amounts of weight are thin people who got fat. There IS a big difference. Just ask them if they were fat when they were 7? No, I assure you, they were not...

Weight is not an indicator for heart disease, cholesterol MAY be but they're not even sure about that. The statistics are heavily muddled.
No, and no. My friend got fat during his childhood and only changed his lifestyle when he realized he was going to die if he continued that way. He did weight watchers, nearly died after eating only 2 points a day and was hospitalized. When he recovered he took a moderate approach eating healthily and doing a great deal of cardio, and has lost 300lbs since freshmen year of high school.

Obesity is a massive health problem that can contribute to a number of different illnesses and conditions. There may be minor disputes in medicine, there is no dispute in regards to whether obesity is dangerous.
Obesity like that is rare and I don't think that's what the OT is talking about. It's a good point and something to mull over though.

I was talking people who are obese (but not morbidly obese) and can still make a run for the bus. Most obese people these days are skinny people that got fat, but some are just fat people lol.

Bravo 21

May 11, 2010
well, i eat a lot, but i also run at least 6 times a weak, and also do some speedskating. because of that, i stay in shape, but i still am very carefull about eating fast food, but mostly that's just me being paranoid.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
Important things to know for keeping healthy and fit.

1. Eat Breakfast - It will stop you snacking and you should be able to get through to lunch without eating anything else. Thats the key, eat at set times to avoid comfort eating or eating when you are bored.

2. It's better to eat numerous smaller portions throughout the day than eating one large portion in one go. It's about speeding up your metabolism.

3. Drink lots of water to help fill you up.

4. Do some form of exercise. If you want to lose weight you have to exercise. Diets alone are not going to work, you need a balance between the two. I personaly swim around 3k a week and do weights once or twice a week. I recommend swimming highly. The stress on the joints is very low and depending on the stroke you do you can work all the muscle groups in your body without getting hot and sweaty.

5. Stop drinking Alchol, beer packs on calories like nothing else. You wont lose weight if you are drinking all the time.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Well, I'm poor so I can't really afford to eat so that's how I do it I guess. Also, I drink more that I eat usually, so maybe that helps.

I'm 5'7"-ish and about 115 lbs, so I know that's not healthy. Makes looking for pants a ***** (I'm either a size 2 or 4, I can't remember. Maybe it depends on where I'm getting my pants).

darkerthought7

Apr 14, 2009
There's something to be said about "natural tendencies," as much as I hate the word "natural." I, for example, have never weighed over 140lbs though I lead a sedentary lifestyle and eat fast food at least 4 times a week.

How people remain thin could also be related to mental states. I have ADHD and high levels of anxiety, thus stress and distractions curb my appetite and I eat pretty much only when I feel hungry. This could happen 5 times in a day or not once. Stress also plays a role in how fast your system processes food by altering blood pressure, metabolic process, etc.

Basically, there's not a simple cure-all. Ideally, we'd all be eating healthy and hitting the gym. This gets you to a weight and size that supports your daily activities. And really, isn't that the most important thing?

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
Zetion said:
They do... but not at the level that people say they do. Im sorry I jumped at you. Ex-fatty here, when people say that it reminds me of all the bullshit excuses my family told me when I was fat to keep me fat and happy.
Sometimes they do. I haven't worked out in years. At least not in the extent that would affect my weight (ie, most moving I've done last year has been walking to places and occasionally longboarding), I eat unhealthily (that is, burgers, Pizza, microwave food) and I don't gain a single gram of weight. Sometimes metabolisms do work that way.

But that is not to say that I'm healthy or fit, because I'm definitely not, I just simply don't gain weight. At all.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Kytseo said:
I've wanted to lose weight for a while now, and I have tried nearly everything (except diet pills and starving, I have my standards). The weird thing is that quite a few people I know tend to stay thin despite regularly eating burger king and such. I know some of them do work out, but some (like my girlfriend) somehow can stay thin without working out and despite apparently eating a lot (hell, I'm in much worse shape than my girlfriend, yet I have an easier time walking, thank you Mini-Boot Camp). I gotta ask, when it comes to those people, what's their secret?
Ok, there are two ways to lose weight: eat less or burn more calories. It is as simple as that(note: I didn't say easy). People can spout shit about metabolism until the cows come home (and they do). Not only do they neglect the fact that fat people tend to have a <a href=http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/metabolism/WT00006>faster/higher metabolism than skinny people(its the same reason a hummer has lower gas mileage than a ford focus), but they neglect what people do for a living. I run/walk 10-15 miles carrying 5-15 pounds for 6-9 hours a day thanks to work. I burn a lot of Calories. I do not workout beyond that. I also usually eat once a day.