How do you coup with pain?

King of Wei

Jan 13, 2011
Kinda curious, how do my fellow Escapists coup with physical pain? Assuming pain-killers are unavailable. Emotional pain too if you've experienced it, and if so could you explain how emotional pain works?

Reason for asking is because I have recently broken my leg and foot in a glorious feat of de-evolution (jumped off a friggin house) and realized that, in an attempt to take my mind off the pain, I make an absurd amount of really bad sarcastic jokes.

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
Play Armored Core.

Seriously though, the one time that I had pain trumped painkillers (five days after my wisdom teeth were removed, owe) I sat on the couch and watched House all day.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
I just try to focus on something else. If manage to distract myself from the pain then I often forget it's there, of course the moment I lose focus I remember i'm in pain and all hell breaks loose.

HyperDalek

May 30, 2011
I just swear really loudly and frequently. It's really effective after say for example, you trip over your younger brother and break your arm.

as for emotional pain, I just live with it. It goes away after a while.

You jumped off a house?! um...why would you consider that a good idea?

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Physical pain I just try to remain as still as possible and hope that it goes away. If it doesn't go away, I usually just try to sleep and hope that it won't be there (or will at least be slightly better) when I wake up.

Emotional pain I kick back, pop in a DVD of one of my many TV shows with a meal I just cooked up (cooking is a great stress reliever for me) and just try to tough it out.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
I tolerate it. I have an abnormally high pain tolerance due to having horribly flat feet that had to be surgically corrected when I was 14. So that was roughly 13 years of nearly constant pain. After that long, you stop giving a shit.

EDIT: in other words, nothing special, I just go through my day.

eclipsed_chemistry

Dec 9, 2009
You know, I've had a ton of oral surgeries and other unpleasant surgeries I've had to undergo over the past 6 years and the way that I managed to cope was with a mixture of painkillers and videogames, TV, movies, anything you can fully immerse yourself in to keep your mind off the pain, do it. It'll take a fair amount of focus on your part because the second your mind wanders, the pain will hit you back pretty hard, but if you can stay focused on what you're watching/doing, it'll make the whole thing a lot more pleasant. Plus, you'll have the added bonus of finally finishing that game, or finally finishing that TV series, etc that you've been meaning to get to.

BryceS62

May 9, 2011
phisycal pain is easy no matter how much pain i have experienced so far in my life i have always been able to ignor and power on with what i was doing

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
No pain killers? RAGE! I just try to sleep it off. When that doesn't work I just pace around the house trying my best to not be irritable to those around me.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Short term physical pain: I don't cope with it at all. I spew curses, collapse to the ground, roll around, try to stay still, spew more curses
Long term physical pain: Usually this is just slight pain, so I suck it up, play video games, watch a movie, etc
Emotional pain: Hmm, I just try not to think about it.

GartarkMusik

Jan 24, 2011
Physical pain: I pretty much just ignore it. I sometimes get hit by falling boxes at work (I unload trailers at Fed Ex) so I'm pretty used to it.

Emotional pain: Loud, heavy metal music whose lyrics brim with anger and rage. My usual go-to catharsis song is Death before Dishonor by Five Finger Death Punch.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010

Of course, then there's the issue of chronic pain, which I've just gotten used to. I hardly notice it, aside from the loss of mobility.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Vangaurd227 said:
For both my physical and my emotional pain....i cry very loudly
Same for me, honestly.
Not really the best thing one can do but it's all I feel like doing, especially with emotional pain.
No tears are really ever shed for physical pain though. I just usually walk it off or deal with it until it gets better.
Last time I was in physical pain was when I broke my foot and I just laughed that off.
Emotional pain though... that doesn't go away for a long, long time after many many tears.

Oh and lots and lots of this:

artician

Nov 16, 2008
I have a knee which should be crippling me according to orthopedists, another which has become arthritic from supporting the former, and I have a job which demands I climb ladders all day, kneel, and jump all day. I can disassociate pain with absurd ease.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
whiteblood said:
Mental discipline does wonders to keep from being overwhlemed.
Exactly. Though I doubt I'm all that mentally disciplined, I mean, I've never broken a bone, or been shot/stabbed. I've never really had anything that bad (except when I was a kid, for about three days I got these huge cramps in my abdomen (my appendix to be precise). We didn't realise what it was, and it was only really 'uncomfortable' the first night. So I got taken to the hospital, and they couldn't see anything wrong with me at the time, but when it did't get better the next day I went back again, got X-rays and stuff and had it out the next morning. I think I was 10 at the time, so scary stuff being told you are booked in for surgery when your parents are running late.

Anyways, my appendix ruptured doing surgery, so they had to suck out all the pus and what-not, which essentially put my bowels into shock. So for the next week, it was a huge pain just to walk (and I was 'encouraged' to walk to try and get everything moving again).

So yeah, that's the worst I've had (except pulling a nerve in my neck when I was much younger). I haven't had anything for about 7 years though, so I don't know how well I'd handle real pain, even though I feel like I've become stronger as a person.