How do you coup with pain?

KenzS

Jun 2, 2008
ChildofGallifrey said:
KenzS said:
I constantly get kidney stones.
Ouch. I feel your pain. I've had 5 in the last 4 years, and it sucks harder than Megan Fox reciting Shakespeare.
Interesting analogy lol. Yea passing them can be a *****, but surgery can be WORSE. I just had 6 stones removed, and I was pissing razorblades for a week, I do not recommend it lol.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
It depends on the severity. If it's just normal pain then I just deal with it. If it's "mind-numbing, can't keep still, you should go to the ER" kind of pain (as it is with the abdominal pain I seem to get once every few months) then I use a breathing technique my mother taught me. Breathe slowly in through the nose and out through the mouth. Or is it the other way around? Either way it at least gives the illusion of lessening the pain.

As for emotional pain, I used to cut. But after therapy, I now either watch a comedic movie, look at Eddie Izzard videos on youtube or massacre things on Prototype depending on what the emotional pain is based off of.

UnendingLight

Dec 7, 2010
I cope with sharp pain by getting angry. When you stub your toe or hit your funny bone, getting angry and punching something that cant break/ roaring (seriously) helps the pain disappear.

May sound stupid and slightly insane, but it works for me!

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Lingering pain, I try to get through it. Immediate pain, like stubbing my toe, I swear and move on.
And emotional pain, I haven't really considered it.

Norendithas

Oct 13, 2009
AnkaraTheFallen said:
Reminds me of when my cousin broke his nose and didn't realize it was broken. Granted he felt all the pain but just wrote it off as being, "a little sore or something,".

Anyways, I cope with my pain by sleeping. Fastest way of coping! But some people can't sleep with all the pain. So that's when you refer to some strong anesthetic! :D

With emotional pain, I sort of just wallow about. Not doing anything, not really feeling anything. Actually, the last time I got depressed, I was devoid of emotion like an empty shell. But that's only with big things, haha.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
KenzS said:
ChildofGallifrey said:
KenzS said:
I constantly get kidney stones.
Ouch. I feel your pain. I've had 5 in the last 4 years, and it sucks harder than Megan Fox reciting Shakespeare.
Interesting analogy lol. Yea passing them can be a *****, but surgery can be WORSE. I just had 6 stones removed, and I was pissing razorblades for a week, I do not recommend it lol.
Oh, I would wait to pass a hundred before I had surgery for one. I can handle the stones, but the stint they put in is too much for me. I can barely walk 20 ft without doubling over with one in.

Krinku

Feb 5, 2011
Physical Pain: I go to something else that'll take my mind off of it.

Emotional: I try not to think about it and go out and have fun.

arsenicCatnip

Jan 2, 2010
Emotional pain just makes me cry. If it's really bad, I'll sit and sulk for a little while just to stew, then get up and move on with my life.

Physical pain... um. I'm an abuse survivor, a former self-injurer, and a masochist. Pain doesn't bother me unless it's something deep and lingering (like when I pretty much destroyed my left knee). If I'm bleeding, it's a bit of a bother, but generally I can just breathe through it (I sliced into the pad of my index finger while at work, and it wouldn't stop bleeding. So I slapped a bandage on it, grumbled whenever it hit something, and went on with my day).

Deliberately inflicted pain (no need for details) is a delight to me, and I'm quite all right with that.

Nick Rauen

Apr 25, 2011
usually laugh or just ignore it, you know like going on as if there is no pain, but when doesnt work i try whatever stupid idea the nearest person to me says to dod to get rid of it. emotional wise i shut the world out with music, games, comics, etc. or, i talk to the girl i like (who tends to cause said emotional pain for various reasons at times) and the pain kinda washes away.