How do you define your nationality?

Fluffythepoo

Sep 29, 2011
Well im a 12th generation canadiEN on my dad's side (descendants of original habitants) and 4th generation canadian on my mother's side... theres a clusterfuck of french/english/welsh/irish/scottish/swedish/german/norwegian/native (basically every color of white with a smudge of metis) in there, but regardless of where they came from.. I. AM. CANADIAN!
Da Orky Man said:
British, though I was born in Wales.
Now then, my dad's family is fully English. My mum was born in Wales. My maternal grandmother was born is Scotland in a Scottish family, but moved to Wales at an early age, and my maternal grandfather moved to Wales also at a young age, but from Ireland and a wholly Irish family.
So yeah, I'm quite literally as British as they come, having close relatives from every country in the United Kingdom.

Of course, most of the time I say I'm Welsh, simply because it would explain my somewhat mixed accent to anyone from England, and barely anyone outside the UK has heard of Wales, so I get to watch then squirm :)

Auron225 said:
Irish.

Being from Northern Ireland (born and lived all my life) and having two Northern Irish parents, I can say Irish, British or Northern Irish if I want to be very specific, yet all of them are true. Why I choose Irish is because;

- If I say "British", people immediately think "English" which is not only annoying since that is false but it also seems to have more negative connotations than positive.
- If I say Northern Irish, people get confused. You'd be suprised how many don't know that it's a seperate country and how often I have to then give a mini-history lesson.
- Irish is simpler and people tend to respond with "Cool!" or "I'm 1/16 Irish!!"
At least people have heard of Ireland, even if they don't know about the north. Basically nobody outside the UK even knows Wales exists.
Well like 5 people live there and your only stereotype is sheep, thats just not very fun place to talk about :( still my favorite flag though :D

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
I'm Canadian, I was born and have lived my entire life in this one country. Even if I did eventually move elsewhere I would likely still define my nationality as Canadian. It's also just for simplicity's sake. It's a little confusing to some to say you're 1/3 Canadian, 1/3 American and 1/3 English. However, I do still take immense pride in my family's heritage.

Saregon said:
Norwegian through and through. Going back about 300 years my father's side of the family came here from Portugal, and their ship went down, and on my mother's side it's been traced back about 900-1000 years, Norwegian all the way (genealogy is fun!).
900-1000?! It never fails to astound me how difficult or easy genealogy can be depending on which country you happen to be searching from. I can easily find amazing data on part of my mother's side up until the 1600s when they immigrated from Ireland. Yet it's incredibly difficult to find data on any of my family from before they immigrated to North America.

I'm starting to think that a few trips to the U.K. and Norway are in order once I've raised the money.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
I define myself as American and like most Americans, I draw a distinction between nationality and ethnicity. My mother is half German and half Spanish. Also my dad was adopted and have several cousins adopted from China, so I really don't give a damn blood. Family isn't defined by blood, it is those people that you care for and are close to. That is why I see myself as just American and not German or Spanish.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
I am a fellow Earthican just like all my fellow Manpeoples! Now how is about we watch some Ballfoot and perhaps partake in a chilled alcoholic liquid perhaps!

NoeL

May 14, 2011
My nationality is Australian, my heritage is Irish/English/French.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Ljs1121 said:
Esotera said:
I tend to call myself a human before anything else, as at the end of the day I feel a greater affinity to humanity as a whole rather than any one country.
Ooh, that's actually pretty good. Mind if I steal it for future use?
As long as you're not an alien. It can get a bit confusing for other people sometimes if they're not used to you saying it so there's that to watch out for.

Saregon

Yes.. Swooping is bad.
May 21, 2012
Aesir23 said:
I'm Canadian, I was born and have lived my entire life in this one country. Even if I did eventually move elsewhere I would likely still define my nationality as Canadian. It's also just for simplicity's sake. It's a little confusing to some to say you're 1/3 Canadian, 1/3 American and 1/3 English. However, I do still take immense pride in my family's heritage.

Saregon said:
Norwegian through and through. Going back about 300 years my father's side of the family came here from Portugal, and their ship went down, and on my mother's side it's been traced back about 900-1000 years, Norwegian all the way (genealogy is fun!).
900-1000?! It never fails to astound me how difficult or easy genealogy can be depending on which country you happen to be searching from. I can easily find amazing data on part of my mother's side up until the 1600s when they immigrated from Ireland. Yet it's incredibly difficult to find data on any of my family from before they immigrated to North America.

I'm starting to think that a few trips to the U.K. and Norway are in order once I've raised the money.
True, Norway's been very good at keeping such records for a long, long time. Although I didn't do the research on my mother's side myself, so I can't speak to exactly how they found out, but I still think it's fairly impressive.

Also, I've never been to the UK, but a trip to Norway is definitely in order, so definitely go for it!

I-Protest-I

Nov 7, 2009
I identify as a Yorkshireman too much to say anything else other than an Englishman, I do love my accent.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
This is difficult for me because I'm from Northern Ireland. And to screw stuff up even more, my dad's from a Protestant background, and my mum is Catholic. I like to joke that I'm a half-blood. Eh, it's all meaningless beating of a dead horse, anyway.

Well, I say I'm Irish because it's got a better vibe than British, also I have red hair and am short, so it fits my appearance, too. I also like the colour green. However, I have a Scottish surname and lack an identifiable accent. Oh, well. I'm a mutant. A misfit. Let's just say I'm an Irish fellow who appreciates the British influence and cares little for Religion as a collective pursuit, but will not deny people the right to believe in whatever they want to.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
Born in West Norway, lived there all my life and all my family (as far as I know) is from here. A Norwegian I am then =p.

If you are from Britain, you could consider yourself Norwegian as well! Norwegians have always had a thing for all of you, especially after that thing with the Nazis (which is why the Trafalgar Square tree is gifted to you from Norway every year). To quote famous Norwegian diplomat Halvard Lange: "We do not regard Englishmen as foreigners. We look on them only as rather mad Norwegians."

TheTJackson

Aug 29, 2011
Born and raised in Australia, and have i'm not even sure how many generations of family also born and raised here, so I count myself as an Australian through and through.
As to define Australians, I'd say we don't have a significant enough history to define ourselves from anything but the "digger" Aussie soldier, beer, dust, heat and unfortunately, a tarred history of racist tendencies. Still proud of where I come from though~ 'Straya mate! :D

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Well, both my passport and my family tree declare me as being very Dutch. It's all rather boring, really.

On the plus side, I do believe there was a pirate in here a few generations ago, but that's as exciting as it gets.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Born in Australia, grew up with Australian customs and have an Australian accent. I'm Australian.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Raikas said:
So when you try to cross international borders, do you refuse to show a passport and tell the border control agents that you didn't bother with applying for a visa because you don't care about nationality? Because I'm thinking that would get yourself sent home.
No I don't. But that's how the rest of the world sees nationality. We're talking about our own personal definitions. And to me it doesn't matter.

Raikas said:
I mean, even if it's not your ideal world, nationality and culture and language do matter.
They used to matter. But the way the world is being more and more connected and streamlined, it's becoming pointless and it serves only to hold us back.

Raikas said:
Yeah, nationalism has been responsible for some reprehensible stuff, but that doesn't mean cultural identities need to be washed away.
I'm not saying that we should wash away all cultural differences and cultural identity. But we should teach people that ultimately that doesn't matter. And nationality and culture shouldn't influence our decision making process. Even in Star Trek national identity isn't completely gone. Picard takes great pride in being French.

Raikas said:
As far as I'm considered, learning new languages and exploring new cultures is awesome (and frankly not very anti-Star Trek), and and not boring at all.
That's because learning history is awesome. I like the history of Roman Empire. But that doesn't mean I want to live like the people back then.

Ville Vuorela

Feb 25, 2010
Hmm.

My native tongue and home culture is Finnish and since it is not used anywhere else, my ethnicity is Finnish.

I live and work (mostly) in Finland, so by citizenship I am Finnish.

My roots, connections, family history and relations and my spouse are from Finland, so I am part of the Finnish Nation.

All that put together makes my nationality Finnish. I don't recall ever really "feeling" it, though. Ice hockey does not really move me :)

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
Sounds to be like OP is confusing Nationality with heritage.
I'd call myself Canadian with German heritage.