How do you drink your coffee? And coffee tips.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Coffee. The nectar of the gods. Nothing is better that a fresh cup in the morning as you wake. Many adults, indulge in this popular ritual every morning before work or school.

My question is how do you take yours. And for you coffee connoisseurs out there, what coffee tips can you give the rest of us uneducated peasants, to better enjoy this delicacy?

I ask because i have recently acquired the taste for unsweetened black coffee. It was quite by accident. I just happened to run out of milk , cream and sugar simultaneously, and decided to take it black about 2 weeks ago, and have done so ever since, despite purchasing milk and sugar. It is safe to say, i will continue this thrend of not adding anything to my coffee.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
I hate it. I hate taking caffeine. But lately the night work has demanded it for me to function.

Plain is far to acidic and bitter for my taste, at minimum I need a splash of milk just to cut the edge off.

I'm not to big on sugar either. I like it just enough to make it not so bitter.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I don't drink coffee (or tea). Simple as that. Find the taste too bitter. Green tea I'm alright with though.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
First things first: coffee is like masturbation in that there is no wrong way to do it so long as A, you enjoy it and B, you're not forcing it into other people's faces. So my tip for you wanna-be coffee gourmands out there is to experiment until you find something that you like. I will say this though, if you're a fan of iced coffee and don't already know this you should avoid McDonald's iced coffee like the plague. More often than not my orders come out tasting like iced water with a light coffee aroma.

Personally, the all-time best coffee related thing I've ever put into my body was the mighty and pure Coke Blak. It was a bottle of vanilla coke with icy coffee added in and it was the best thing Coca-Cola ever took off of the market. They still sell swill like Coke Life and Caffeine-Free Diet Coke but they gave the axe to Coke Blak.

When it comes to actual coffee-coffee, I say "Sweets for the sweet" and load mine down with creamer (or sugary milk if creamer is unavailable). While I'm out and about I take my coffee iced and again, flavored. The baristas at my most visited Czarbucks know that I'm really fond of an iced coffee with 2 pumps each of Caramel, toffee-nut and, white mocha. If I get coffee elsewhere though I generally get something like caramel or hazelnut unless I'm feeling plain old vanilla.

kurokotetsu

Proud Master
Sep 17, 2008
Lufia Erim said:
My question is how do you take yours. And for you coffee connoisseurs out there, what coffee tips can you give the rest of us uneducated peasants, to better enjoy this delicacy?
I wouldn't go saying I'm a full conoisseurs, but if it is about being a bit pretentious I can defenitely do it.

You will fisrt need to see what type of coffee you want. You have form the "normal" coffee (here we call it American), capuccino, with milk, "cortado" (I do not know the English word for it, it has a very tiny amount of milk), espresso, moka, arabic and the such.. When drinking black without any addition, I tend to go for an espresso or double espresso. I prefer the very concentrated sotnrg falvour. But that is a first approach.

The you can decide on a roast and bean. Freshly grind beans are best to make your cofee. YOu will grind according to your cofee machine and type of coffee, as espresso usually has a much finer grind than other types for example. The roast of the bean helps to get more or less flavour and a lot of the more pretentoius drinker will also care about the region and type of bean. I find roast to be more determiing of the flavour, but that may be becasue I don't drink that much.

After it comes the machine. Most people use pots and filters or the fancy machines, but there are the Italian and French cofee makers. This may change the flavour. IN my house because of the inheretance we stick to Italian coffe makers and I prefer the sotrng but very well filtered taste they give to most machines.

ANd then there are the possible combinations. If you are going to add something, a lto of people are extremely special and will swear ti makes a lot of difference on how you add it. If you add milk, whether you add it first, later, if it is cold, warm or hot; a lot of people will swear it makes a difference. The type of sugar (white, brown, sustitute) may also determien your enjoyment. Cinnamon or other condiments are used the amount and wheteher you mix it or not wil change the flavour.

You wantto learn more about cofee? Drink different varieties, machines, roasts. Try the combinations.

About how I drink it myself? I almost don't drink coffe. As I said when drinking balck I prefer an espresso. If I want less strong flavourI go for a capuccino with warm milk. But my family is Spanish, and it is probably one of the most neutoric countries for coffee (with the Italians).

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Depends on the coffee. My morning brew at home, black with sugar. This is an artifact from when I first moved out on my own and milk was a luxury that I could not consistently get. As such I adjusted my brew accordingly. People say nice things about my coffee on the rare time they have it, but i brew it at that strength for me.

Restaurant and diner coffee I take with cream and sugar. I find it pretty vile tasting most of the time and it needs both. Needless to say I only drink that stuff when I am out for breakfast.

Very rarely I will have the vile tar that is served at work. We have branded coffee from a major international coffee chain there and weirdly I find it tastes even shittier if anything other than a small amount of cream is added.

I use caffeine a lot, for over 20 years. I am not a natural early riser but I still function better in the first half of the day than I do any other time. So I use caffeine to simulate alertness when i am otherwise unable to get enough rest.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I used to love sugar filled iced coffees, but I stopped drinking them when I learned caffeine hurts your immune system. And I mean I, Robot levels of sugar.

Apr 25, 2009
I stay away from dairy and sugar so I have all my hot drinks plain. I mostly drink green tea but I have a cup of coffee in the morning. I haven't built up much tolerance to caffiene in my life so my morning coffee is quite weak and translucent (about half a teaspoon of freezedried, I'm not fussy) and I kind of prefer it like that.

I actually went to a cafe today and bought my first proper long black and Jesus Christ it was strong. I can't imagine drinking something like that every day.

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
I started out in high school with 2 sugar packets and 1 creamer packet. For people who aren't used to coffee or its bitterness, this takes the edge off (for me anyways). Now I either take it black or with a flavored creamer. I like Gevalia and Dunkin Donuts coffee. Nothing crazy, no super dark roasts or strong blend. I don't actually think the caffeine does much for me anymore.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
A lot of people use those mini capsules (nespresso and the such) for making coffees. Apparently these are an absolute disaster on the environment, and there are more fun ways of making your own coffee. I'm an espresso drinker (I dislike any other kind of coffee) and a former barista, but there probably isn't many useful things to say to anyone else that doesn't just boil down to make the coffee the way you like it.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Very finely ground, then with steam forced through it. Add a twist of lemon, then mix with steam frothed milk. Perhaps a little nutmeg sprinkled on top.

Landwalker

May 21, 2012
For beverage purposes, I abhor coffee. To me it tastes like I'm drinking dirt. I'll drink just about any tea, though?my usual go-to for hot tea white, particularly some white pear ginger tea that my wife found. Since I'm from The South?, I add some stevia to it for sweetening. Also since I'm from The South?, I'm a big fan of iced (and sweetened) plain black tea, which is like finding a unicorn here in New England.

But I'll ingest coffee through other, non-liquid means, oddly enough. Dark chocolate-coated espresso beans are my favorite medium. We also make some "protein balls" as snacks that include ground coffee, cocoa, ground up almonds or something, and some other stuff that I can't remember.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I don't like tea or coffee, unfortunately, which makes me a bit of a weirdo as British people love to offer you tea or coffee.

I'm going to try a few fruit teas, to try and find one that I like, until then I just drink soft drinks or fruit squash/fruit juice. My sister tried to get me into coffee by tricking me with a mocha ('It doesn't even taste of coffee!', lies).

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Ha, the title of the thread is "How do you drink your coffee? And coffee tips." and the first two posts are "I don't like coffee".

If it's the usual, just me sat at home then I whip out an instant Mocha sachet and add hot (not boiling) water to it, give it a quick stir and then drink it.

If I am out and about, I will get a mocha ... today I had a double chocolate iced mocha, had little biscuity sprinkles in it as well, was fucking gorgeous but the little sprinkles kept getting stuck in my straw, made it hard to drink.

I like mocha 'cos it has that caffeine goodness but not that super bitter coffee taste to it.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I take a medium roast with cream or sugar.

I typically drink coffee to get me up and alert in the morning, and I'm not a real fan of darker roasts or simply drinking my coffee without any sweetener.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
I almost only drink espresso (from a Nespresso machine, because I'm too cheap and lazy for a real one) and like to accompany it with a piece of dark chocolate. They complement each other so perfectly, becoming far more than the sum of their parts. Pure mouthgasm.