How do you feel about autistic people?

theSteamSupported

Mar 4, 2012
CrazyGirl17 said:
Frankly, I find people claiming to be autistic in order to justify their behavior irritating, as they give the rest of us a bad name.
As someone with ASD and ADD myself, I think you're reacting way too lightly on that type of behavior. That, especially when said person is self-diagnosed, is actually something worth taking out to the streets over.

Seriously, anyone who uses my diagnosis as an excuse for misogyny, homophobia, racism etc., WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU!!!? Not only are you kicking down on people you're spewing bile about, you are actively painting us as targets and further cementing the completely bullshit myth that autistic people can't feel empathy. Fuck. That. With a rusty chainsaw.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Sung-Hwan said:
On top of all this, "autism" is widely accepted as a derogatory term on the internet; as some form of calling someone stupid, it is fairly common.
Weird, 'cause I've never seen anyone use autism as a shorthand insult on the internet. They usually just stick with the classics of "idiot, moron, fucking imbacile, etc etc". Seriously I've never seen an example of this in my years of randomly reading stuff on the internet.

Sung-Hwan said:
Infamously and unfortunately, the autistic manchild known as Christian Weston Chandler is the most documented person in the entire world on autism, and people use this as a way of generalizing.
Generalizing in what way? You didn't really complete a thought in this statement. Do you mean people use Christian W. Chandler as a way of talking about it? Like "Oh stop being so Christian Chandler you wack job" ? Seriously I don't really understand what you are getting at with this statement about this guy, and that is somehow used in generalizing.

Sung-Hwan said:
I hope no one sees me as antagonizing autistic people through this thread,
You don't seem to be antagonizing autistic people, but you sure as hell seem to be trying to antagonize everyone else. Referring to people who work with autistic children as "thugs", in ridiculously broad generalization, and talking about how you are "exposing the horrors of the US system". When a lot of people who work with autistic patients are very kind and caring people. So yeah, you seem to be antagonizing those people.

Sung-Hwan said:
but am just confused at, given the circumstances I described, how do we see them as human? Do we at all? I actually didn't even get to the worst parts of abuse, but my point stands.
Of course we see them as human, but given the unique nature of their conditions, we can't always do things normally with them. As others have mentioned, sometimes the person with autism is so unpredictable, and potentially violent, that you have to take measures to protect others from them, and them from themselves. Schools are responsible for the children while they are in their care, and if an incident happens, parents will ask (rightly), why steps weren't taken to prevent the situation from happening, if they knew the child might pose a threat. Other cases, the person is simply limited/different in certain ways, but is fully capable of attending classes with the rest of the students.

So yeah, you're making some dangerously broad generalizations, and not really structuring them very well to actually get your point across. You seem to just vent out a rant, tossing insults and condemnations at an entire industry of people without any consideration for the people who do actually care, and then say "so do we think they're human" at the end? What the hell? Seriously?

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Technically speaking, I am a high-functioning autistic. I was lucky enough to be diagnosed at a young age though, giving me plenty of time to realize what was different about me, and to learn how to appear normal during social interaction.
You would likely never be able to tell by looking at me, or talking to me, but all of my vocal intonation, all of my facial expressions, and all of my body language, are faked. I do feel things, and I like to think I'm fairly empathetic, but whenever I'm out in public and interacting with people, it's like I'm an actor on a stage, putting on a performance.
At this point, doing this has become pretty much second-nature to me, but I'm one of the lucky ones.

But really, just treat me like you would any other human being. Don't assume I'm stupid, don't explain more to me than you would anyone else, and don't patronize me. That is absolutely the worst thing you can do to me, and is one of the very few things that can make me lose my temper. Several of my friends are autistic as well, and they would agree with me fully here.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
As someone who *is* an autist, has had to take a few shares of abuse from teacher and bully alike and seeing all forms of autism in action, from the higher-functioning (which is where I'm thankfully at) to the mute to the kind that required facilitated communicators,** I must say I feel some sympathy and empathy, but not much nowadays. Hell, I can properly say I have more experience dealing with autism than most thugs professionals, as my family has a long line of mental issues and autism, and my entire childhood school years had me pitted in such classes against cases so severe, they (the "students") could barely talk or in one case, shat himself so frequently, a budget had to be put aside for depends and wipes! And to make things worse, he was the touchy kind of boy, with FILTHY, dookie-smelling hands that touched all over the toys. No wonder my 3rd grade class had the highest risk of pinkeye, everything we touched basically had shit all over it. I could also go on about how often I was a target for female bullies (since they have a thing for targeting special needs boys), or I had to literally shake some sense into autist who was freaking out for reasons unknown and get him functioning before the thugs came in the classroom to kick his ass, or the part where I spend several years of my childhood loopier than a shoelace due to all the required meds being pumped into me, but those are stories for another time.

I could also spend my time making potshots at Chris-chan since he's literally the poster boy for reasons why not many would want a thing to do with an autist, and everything to do with abuse against them and me when I was younger, but I won't. Preferably, I wanna prosecutor to take a good, long look at the first few links when he/she types in Christian Weston Chandler with a pot of strong coffee brewed and a therapist on speed dial, because he/she's gonna need it.

** Personally, I think facilitated communication is a crock of shit, as the one doing the "interpreting" could easily make the victim interpretee in question say literally anything, up to and including sex abuse [http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wendrows-sex-abuse-cases-dismissed-facilitated-communication/story?id=15274276].

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
My nephew and my cousin both have autism, I've also dated two people with it.

I saw the same patterns emerging with my nephew as I did my cousin, and I actually think my youngest nephew is beginning to exhibit something (not sure what yet). They both went through a very naughty phase and would get hysterical over things not going the way they wanted even as babies. However, they're both incredibly bright, hard working and focused. My cousin does bike rides for charities and is always volunteering. My nephew is doing well at school and when I took them all to the shop once my niece was winding him up so he moved to the other side of me and said, "I'm moving over here and ignore her so I don't get into trouble."

For a ten year old to say that actually astounded me. I'm immensely proud of both of them and all the obstacle courses they've had to go through.

My first boyfriend had it (not sure where on the spectrum he was) and it was quite noticeable. He'd properly fixate over things and drive me mad with it. My last boyfriend had it too, much less noticeable until I started spending more time with him.
Both of my exes had the tendency to read over my shoulder or watch what I was doing which annoyed me. They both changed quite drastically when there was more people around. They both sometimes spoke to me in a tone and volume that would upset me and they wouldn't realise how nasty they were being.

It was a different experience dating someone with autism, I suppose I'm glad I've done it. It's interesting to see them from a romantic point of view and how they deal with love.

The most recent ex (I don't know if this is down to the asperger's, anyone is more than welcome to tell me if they think it is) told me he stopped loving me over the space of a day or so because of an argument we had. I found that awfully bizarre. It takes me ages to finally stop loving someone, I couldn't imagine changing my mind about such an important thing so quickly. He doesn't even respect or care for me as a friend any more. All I could conclude is that he was scared I was going to leave him so he got there first so he had control over the situation? It's strange, and confusing and I stupidly still love the bones of him, which makes it hurt even more.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Autism, particularly those very far down the rabbit hole so to speak, fit in the uncanny valley of human interaction. They look and act human, but something is off. The fact it makes me uncomfortable makes me feel bad because I shouldn't feel uncomfortable because this nagging sensation is coloring my responses and how I interact.

But then I suppose that's just people with a mental health issue in generally. Although i do think some teachers or authority figures are a bit too quick to label somebody as autistic, when in truth they might just be shy and into drawing a bunch.

TL;DR: It's a shame how they're treated, especially in the states by the sounds of it.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
Colour Scientist said:
Asperger's isn't really a diagnosis anymore though. I think now it's Autistic Spectrum Disorder with varying levels of severity.
It shouldn't be
i mean from what i remember it should be
PDD -> ASD -> then aspies
Mind you, when i was taught on the subject it changed but I don't think they would take that out.
Lil' prof syndrome should and cannot be mixxed with high and low function autism, PDDNOS and savantism.
If they did something stupid and changed ASD again I am going to flip my shit.
It seems so arbitrary.

Also Yo OP I have no idea what you are trying to accomplish, I think you want to ask questions about lowfunctions.
You seem like a channer more and more
let me explain why we channers use autism.
Becuase it fucking fits.
ASD is a pervasive devolpment disorder, as such we are social retards and blunter then a rasta's tobacco drawer.
This is the internet, no body language, no tone only interruption.
Everyone here is at least but more autistic then normal.
It also has to do that aspies are know to flip shit over minor details. I am not much of an exception.
and what is (insert # here)chan but flipping shit

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
theSteamSupported said:
CrazyGirl17 said:
Frankly, I find people claiming to be autistic in order to justify their behavior irritating, as they give the rest of us a bad name.
As someone with ASD and ADD myself, I think you're reacting way too lightly on that type of behavior. That, especially when said person is self-diagnosed, is actually something worth taking out to the streets over.

Seriously, anyone who uses my diagnosis as an excuse for misogyny, homophobia, racism etc., WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU!!!? Not only are you kicking down on people you're spewing bile about, you are actively painting us as targets and further cementing the completely bullshit myth that autistic people can't feel empathy. Fuck. That. With a rusty chainsaw.
...Yeah, I kinda see your point. Especially seeing that not just me but a younger cousin of mine have been diagnosed autistic (with different levels, mind you, but I'm more used to considering myself with Asperger's') I also dislike when people want to "cure" autism. I get why people with kids who are severely autistic might want to, but for the more "high-functioning" autistics... it's kinda awkward.

With me, I actually was in a special Ed class for a few years before being moved to mainstream class at the request of a teacher, and it's worked out pretty well for me - with the exception of math, that brings up another point: the whole "autistics are good at math thing". I assume it depends on the person, since I know another autistic person who is a wiz with numbers. The same goes with empathy, as I am very empathetic... maybe a bit too much for my own good.

The point I'm (trying and probably failing at) making here is that people with autism are the same as everyone else, it's just that our brains are wired differently.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Sung-Hwan said:
Autistic kids are placed in very distinct rooms from their "normal" peers like animals, often in the care of unusually aggressive thugs in place of teachers instead. Oh yes, they aren't afraid to use force to get their way and often neglect their duties. People justify this due to the poor pay, but that is pretty funny I will admit. This distinct, animal-like treatment often leads to other peers antagonizing these autistic kids because kids are kids, and they can only assume they're "freaks." While I am exposing the cruel practices of America, it's not all there is to blame since autistic people are very erratic from what can be considered normal; some may pass off as normal with a few serious flaws, others may be completely disabled altogether.
This paragraph explains fairly well why, despite the logical part of my brain saying I shouldn't, I have a strong disdain towards autists, because I was placed into a Spec Ed class for 6th/7th grades solely because of my behavior (really fucking hyper) yet being put alongside kids with actual disabilities. Feeling very 'lumped in' left me with lots of extreme bitterness, albeit misplaced, towards any/all mental disabilities.

visiblenoise

Jul 2, 2014
I don't have much experience with them. If they act like normal humans, I'll regard them as normal humans. On principle, I wouldn't try to give them any leeway (if they do something bad, they're getting the same treatment whether they're retarded or not), but realistically I might not be able to stick to that.

ChaosBorne

Jul 24, 2004
well i have no problems with myself, i actually kind of like me.
now i'm only mildly autistic and i manage to handle my more severe quirks most of the time so i'm a rather well functioning autistic i suppose.

i've never really suffered much for it or been mistreated so i guess i'm one of the Lucky ones, i mean sure i got picked on from time to time when i was a kid, but that's just part of growing up, everyone got picked on and i joined in as often as well.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
My niece is autistic. She cannot find the words she wants in normal speech so she almost always sings rather than speaks. She is a good kid and a joy to be around.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
theSteamSupported said:
NTs are going be NTs man, what can i tell you.
I was going to try and talk you down but i fucking remember how much it pisses me off at times and certainly how that sure is shit isn't going to work.
Also that comorbid.
Two things, why the fuck should we care that a bunch of stupid NTs are flipping shit like idiot.
More often then not i can say a lot of tumblr self diagnosed idiots are screaming about misogyny and the like and making it a excuse for being a wretched human being.
Autism to excuse social problems, mixed with a believe moral superiority makes that person immune reproach, criticism, dissuasion in anyway.
and it isn't necessarily a myth that we do not have empathy, it's mind-blindess, we lack sympathy, people just confused the two.
It's a fact that we can have reduced empathy and sympathy, I know i fucking irritate people because of intuitive abilities linked to sympathy and empathy.
We also, very often (accounting for "if you've met one autistic you've met ONE autistic") muted emotions are symptom of autism (which somehow does not extend to anger, again the above bracketed statement.).

PS. no, we paint ourselves as targets quite fucking easily through our own actions man. I'm pretty sure i was bullied because of my stimms, my social quirks and my actions.
I have no idea how to tell you this politely but i will try, believing a bunch of stupid NTs self diagnosing themselves will not change you acting like autistic. acting like an autistic quite often opens you up to be targeted normally. when i was bullied it was more likely because I would do something the NTs thought was weird, and FOR NO OTHER REASON, IT WAS MY FAULT AND ACTION ALONE THAT MADE ME A TARGET.
It's not that tricky.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
For you first paragraph, most Autistic kids seem to be treated quite well at the schools I've had my teaching practicums in. They have their own EAs and the other kids generally treat them quite well. From what I saw, they try to let them be as independent as possible. This is obviously going to vary from person to person. Honestly, sometimes it's just an unfortunate situation that can't be helped all that much.

I agree though, they shouldn't be treated as animals that need to be handled.

For your second paragraph, I have know idea why it's being used as an insult so frequently now. It seems oddly specific from the generic "you're retarded". I don't know why, but it bothers me a lot more.

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome about 10 years ago, so I'd say that people with autism are freaking awesome.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Colour Scientist said:
Asperger's isn't really a diagnosis anymore though. I think now it's Autistic Spectrum Disorder with varying levels of severity.
Who knows what the fuck the diagnosis is anymore, it's so bloody vague. First it's 'You've got Asperger', than it's 'Oh wait, you actually have PDD-NOS', now it's Autistic Spectrum Disorder, tomorrow... who knows.

It fucking sucks to have it, I know that, but I don't mind people using it as an insult. I mean, I use 'retard' as insult on general occasions - seems only fair to use 'autistic', too. I'd rather it gets used as an insult than have people boosting about how they totally have it. That's like showing off your super awesome skin rash.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Man, whenever one of these threads come along it suddenly seems like half The Escapist has autism.

I just hate this aspect of society that insists on constantly diagnosing people on every little thing. If high functioning autistics can function in normal society and are virtually indistinguishable from "normal" people, then why diagnose them at all? All it does is give them a title to stick to and an excuse for their faults. "Oh, I can't do this I'm autistic." rather than thinking "I will learn to do this."

It just sickens me all of this constant diagnosis of people who aren't "normal." Well what the heck is "normal" anyway? There is no normal. Every single person is different and has their own flaws and strengths so the logical conclusion of this diagnosis obsession is that every single person is grouped into their own "medical" category and is defined. Once someone is defined, it's that much harder for them to change in any way to better themselves, because they can always fall back on their "condition" as an excuse.

EDIT: It leads to this thinking where "I think this way because I'm, X" when really it's "I'm X because I think this way."

If you were diagnosed with autism and you use it as an excuse, you have my utter contempt. You should always try to better yourself and never make excuses, no matter how many "doctors" say they're valid.

I say get rid of all these bloody titles. Get rid of "autistic" get rid of "normal" get rid of "mentally ill" and we'll all just be individuals!

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well obviously, people who think autism equals retardation or anything like that are idiots. Speaking as an autistic who graduated from a university, I should know.