How do you feel about dragons?

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
Vlad Tepes of Wallachia's nickname ended up immortalising him as a mythical being in his own right.

Kevin Lyons

Jun 17, 2010
I've always had a nice fondness for dragons but I feel that they're becoming a bit lame. It's not even that they're being lazily thrown into games as bosses, but just that nobody has really been able to come up with anything truly new. I mean, what's the last fantasy-set game you've played that didn't include a dragon, elf, or goblin of some sort?

Ixnay1111

Mar 11, 2011
Awesome but overdone. Theres a million other cool mythical beasts that get overlooked in fantasy games these days.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
How do I feel about dragons? I feel like that is not a question I ever expected to hear.

I'm playing through monster hunter right now, though, so I can't say I have a problem with dragons.

I do miss the 3-headed dragons from the first Zelda game. When are we gonna see more badass dragons in Zelda games?

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
I love dragons.

My preferred presentation of them are the super-intelligent quasi-magical creatures that choose to live in the wilderness like other wild beasts. They should be presented as extremely powerful and difficult to bring down.

Warcraft has a very good presentation of them. They range from safeguards of the earth to world-devouring psychopaths.

Though the enslavement of dragons has always stuck me as an interesting plot point. Obviously their powers and physique make them excellent beasts of war, transport, and burden, yet it brings the issue of their sentience or near-sentience depending on the setting.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
I actually much prefer the idea of a dragon being just another animal. Granted a giant animal that can fly and shoot fire, but something that's just as vulnerable to a sword or spear as, say, a tiger would be.

Mxrz

Jul 12, 2010
Dislike. Over used. Too many folks want to use them as some kind of weird social projection, basically turned them into humans with scales & wings. Much like Twilight did to Vampires.

I'll go with the discworld ones too. Not just the swamp dragons, but the King in Guards Guards! Mocking the whole "dragon = awesome!" stuff was spot on.

-Ulven-

Nov 18, 2009
I like Dragons. I like the majestic beasts on which releas horros unto the world. Like the ones in Rift. Or the dragon from The Hobbit. Dragons ARE fantasy! It's what really defines the genre.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
I love Dragons. But they need to be respected. Don't include them if they aren't going to be an important part of the world. Make them rarer, but don't make them extinct, or something that is vigorously hunted. Dragons are above all that. Because they're dragons.

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
The Japanese dragon I'm not a huge fan of. Medieval dragons however "F*CK YEAH!", but they have to have kinda of this boss/beast status attached to them.

historybuff

Feb 15, 2009
Wait a tic, where the heck is Trogdor in this thread.

Obviously the best dragon of all. Maybe I missed him.

Sean565

Jan 16, 2011
i almost bought Lair even though the reviews were horrible. so needless to say i love dragons

Sagiterios

Aug 12, 2009
Dragons need to be done well. That said, there arent really much restrictions on them. I always thought of dragons as elemental creatures, powerful and intelligent. I dont care if it deviates from the classical fire breathing lizard. Led it shoot lightning, let it freeze the air. Let it spit toxic loogies. All are awesome in their own right. Be they big, small, lizard, serpent, giant flying puppy dog, evil, good, it does not matter.

What they do need is intelligence. They are not animals, They are DRAGONS. Their threat and majesty come largely from their ability to crush you not only physically, but mentally as well. However, with intelligence comes variety. They should have their own personality, their own sense of style. Like us. They are their own race of sentient creatures, not a clone army comprised of one arrogant greedy bastard endlessly repeated unto infinity.

I would love a game with a diversity like that. Find a friendly dragon, ally it , go kick some ass, good times be had. Dragonheart style.

sora91111

Dec 10, 2010
Well me and dragons have never seen eye to eye due to the fact they have a bad habbit of setting me on fire