How do YOU organize your steam library categories?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
CommanderZx2 said:
Gorfias said:
How do I make a folder under there and start separating them out? About 350 games, about 50 of them high priority!
Right click a game and select 'Set Categories' then once a category is created you can add any other games to that same category.

I use the Recent order option and find that it works really well, as it keeps anything I've bought or played recently at the top.
Thanks! Will do! I also have a bunch of junk obtained in bulk sales. I don't need to be seeing them! Off to it!

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
"Favorites" for the games I'm currently playing or plan to play.
"Finished games" for games I've finished and probably won't play again.
"Shitty games(looks better in Swedish)" for games I don't like/won't play.
"Games I can't be bothered with right now". Make a wild guess.
"Games" for whatever's left. Usually games I haven't tried or those I'm only slightly intrested in.

Gonna change it up a bit soon I think, as my library is starting to get quite huge.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Back when I had only about 300 I spent hours arranging them by publisher, then I started buying more and now I have 200 other games under "games".

Augustine

Jun 21, 2012
I have a few categories set up, but I generally promote the games I play a lot at the time to favorites, and later demote them into the respective category when I don't play it a much.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
I've never given it any thought...

Of course, with a small collection of like 50 games I don't really need to (wait, 50 is small?), but I do have some other system of sorts.

Every game I buy gets an icon on my desktop. I don't delete the icon until I've played through the game or have another good reason to stop playing. This means there are usually 5-10 staring at me whenever I start my laptop. For me, this is a good way to keep my Steam backlog in check.

Lilikins

Jan 16, 2014
hmm..seems Im not the only one doing this hehe :) ehh..at the current time...going through my steam library..

Beaten Games -Games...Ive beat
Beaten Games (endless) -Games that I usually just play for fun and dont mind the story, Anno etc.
Betas and Tests -all those....tests etc
Building Sims - Anno etc
Coop Games -Games I play with my fiancee
Fighting -Gogo MK haha^^
First Person Shooters -Quake I love thee..Shadow warrior, you were lovely too
Horror -My favorite...I love thee Outlast and 5 nights
Online Games -Dota 2..TF 2..etc etc
Random Fun -Also my favorite I must admit, Binding has its place here hehe. just random games that I like to . play every now and then
Role Playing Games -Home of Skyrim/Fallout..nuff said.
Strategy -Company of Heroes 2...etc etc...this is your home^^
Third Person Action -Assasins Creed/DMC/Dynasty Warriors..yep this is where you belong for me.

Yep, those are my tabs in steam.

DFDelta

Dec 4, 2011
I currently have the following tabs:

- Favorites (The basic one included in steam)
- Favorites nonSteam (a tab for my favorites that are not steam games)
- Touhou (because Touhou)
- Active (stuff I play that does not warrant a favorite)
- Waiting (my backlog basically)
- Done (stuff I have finished and currently no intention of playing again)
- Not Interested (stuff I bought just to support something with no intention of actually playing it)
- Never. Touch. Again. (stuff I aborted because it is horribad)

Lacks imagination, but it works.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I have four categories.

-Not Started.
-In Progress.
-Completed.
-Not Interested. This consists of games I have no interest in but were put in my library anyway(the multi-player application for games I bought for the single player), games that I grabbed on a whim and realized they were shit or games I lost interest in and will likely never complete.

I don't bother with genre because it's fairly easy for me to tell what genre a game is just by looking at it(most of the time).

I also have an excel spreadsheet for my backlog, but that covers my disc based games, my PS3 games, my GOG library and my steam library.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I have 350 games on Steam, and I organise it into these genres and a couple of additional categories:
Action (24)
Arcade (6)
Backlog (19)
Horror (3)
Not Downloaded (262)
Puzzle (0)
Racing (2)
RPG (11)
Shooter (20)
Steam Cards (4)
Strategy (18)

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I have 200 games on steam. I organise them into broad genre categories such fps, adventure, puzzle, platformer, stealth etc. I do also have a beta category for the few early access games I own and backlog one in the hopes that seeing it as I open steam will shame into playing them.

I also have a couple of silly categories. The "erm...?" category for games that are hard to define or just generally confusing such as The Stanley Parable. Another one is the "OH GOD WHY?!" category which at the moment just contains Deus Ex Invisible War.

FrozenCones

Dec 31, 2009
I only have ~30 games on Steam so listing them alphabetically works fine for me. Additionally I only ever have a maximum of 5 games installed at any given time. I believe at the moment its:

Dota 2
EvE Online
Deus Ex: HR
Skyrim
Bioskock Infinite

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
I have enough steam games to make organising it worthwhile (about 230 or so), but while I started on it, I gave up pretty quickly.

The labels I used may be slightly different, but I did go with the general idea you did.

However, I've actually found it more of a nuisance than a help.

The thing is, I'm rarely looking for a specific genre of game to play. I have rather more specific ideas about which game I want to play, so I go looking for it by name.

And that actually makes the categories a hindrance, rather than a help.

Without any custom categories, Steam sorts games alphabetically by name. With no categories, you can figure out where a game with a specific name is by looking in one place.
Introduce categories for it, and suddenly you end up having to check each category, unless you are certain you know which category you placed the game you are looking for under.

In other words, trying to sort my steam library has made it harder for me to find what I'm looking for, rather than easier...

Figures, doesn't it? XD

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
I have two categories.

"Currently Playing" and the standard "Games" categories. If I'm interested in playing something, if it's a regular go-to multiplayer or if it's in progress it's in the former. Everything else is lumped into the standard category.

Works pretty well.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
I have got 225 games.

Categories:
Favourites (~10 games)
Whydidibuythis (~10 crapgames i somehow bought - mostly for no money)
Games (the rest)

No need for categories so far

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I didn't even realize you could do that.

I'll have to get back to you, then. As anyone who's seen my in-game Terraria storage (or hell, my normal work file storage) can tell you, I'm a sucker for micromanaging inventory.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Here is How I list my games:

-Favourite Games.
-Finished Games.
-Play Later Games
-Ready to Play Games.
-Main catalog

After I finish a game, I download a picture of the game and I listed Alphabetically into my files.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Alphabetical order, with favorites at the top.

I might make some folders eventually.