How do you react to being hit on/checked out?

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
So I was just out grocery shopping when at the deli counter I ended up waiting my turn behind two rather attractive men. Being a woman with a pulse, I checked them out.

A few isles later I ran into one. I gave him a once over again which he obviously noted, and he laughed. Not an awkward "Oh, she's checking me out, what do I do?" laugh or a "I'm flattered" laugh, but a derisive snort that said "Who does she think she is?". Just because I'm fat doesn't mean I can't find men attractive and make it known.

I was rather annoyed. Why be annoyed that someone finds you attractive? It's not like I grabbed his shirt and begged him to date me or sleep with me, I was just enjoying looking at him with no expectations whatsoever.

The other guy had given me a nice, warm smile and went on his way. He got it.

If I get hit on or checked out I usually just say thank you and that's that. If I even realise that's what's happening, as it's rather rare for me to be hit on.

So how do you guys handle situations like that?

latiasracer

Jul 7, 2011
RED ALERT!

SHIELDS UP!

I can honestly say i would not expect it, so i would probably activate defensive mode and run away like a startled deer.

Captcha: "Which does a vegetarian eat?" No joke, a Kitten is an option

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Well, it's been quite a while since I got hit on. But I'm not really much of a looker, so I don't expect it in the first place.

I would probably have one of two responses; Become all defensive and shy--The more likely option--or try and fail to act all smooth and overconfident and then end up seeming uninterested.

If you couldn't tell, I'm a master of courtship.

Cloake

Sep 26, 2007
Well, I've never been overtly hit on by a girl (as far as I know--I can be pretty dense), but if I get the sense that a girl might be flirting with me, I try to act friendly without leading her on, and I might casually mention my fiancee so she doesn't get the wrong idea. I'd certainly never scoff at anyone though, and anyone who does needs to learn some humility.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
I'm usually very cynical, so even when people do hit on me or check me out, I think they have some ulterior motive. It's better to flirt with others, especially if they react in a positive way. I already know what I want, so I don't need to worry about what others want then. XD

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Depends on who it is, if it's a creeper I get creeped out. Otherwise I'm usually equal parts flattered and embarrassed.

Jolly Co-operator

A Heavy Sword
Mar 10, 2012
I'm not a very socially comfortable person in most company, especially not in that of strangers, so my usual response is embarrassment, desperate avoidance of eye contact, and a little suspicion that they're just messing with me. This isn't usually an issue, since I'm not overtly "checked out" very often.

EDIT: I mentioned not being checked out or flirted with very often, but oddly enough, as a heterosexual male, I think I've been hit on by guys more often than I have been by girls. I really wish I could respond as coolly to attention from women as I do to attention from men. Here's the most recent occurrence I can remember:

I was with my band class, playing at a competition at another school. We were walking down the hallway to our practice room, when a guy from a group of people who were watching us walk by said "Huh, the guy with the glasses is kind of cute." (Yes, I'm sure it was me, since I'm the only male in my band class who wears glasses).

Rather than my usual awkwardness that follows attention from women, I turned to my friend next to me and said "See, I told you I was cute". Then, turning to the guy who had commented on me, I said "Thanks. You know, I've been telling these people for years, but they never seem to listen. Glad to see someone else has good taste". Then I just continued walking with my class.

Now, if I can just learn to talk that comfortably with women, I'll be golden.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
Really shy and distrustful. It doesn't happen often so I assume they want to use me for something.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
I was flirted with at work once. Which was really flattering but I'm taken and frankly I've never been hit on before. She was a really pretty 20ish japanese girl and she was actually really nice before hand. However I kinda froze, and despite having good responses which were super flirty, i just kinda errrmed and ahhhh.

Specifically she came up to the till and said "How come you keep blushing when you talk to me?" while smiling. I guess it was flirting? I waaaanted to say "I only blush when i talk to pretty girls :p" so i didnt look like a massive idiot But A: Im taken and B: I froze anyway. Was awkward.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Pff, the key is not to get caught. If I caught someone checking me out it would be equal parts flattered and embarrassed, however the chances of me noticing is slim to none.

You gotta be subtle about checking people out, use misdirection to hide your true intentions. Like a magic trick.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
I would probably be oblivious to it. And if it's longer lasting I would probably not notice it until like day 2~3, then have a dilemma on whether to ask him/her out, and then finally go for it.

But yea...in a store like that? I wouldn't even notice. >.>;;

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
"So, how much money are you gonna win in this bet for hitting on me?"

I still can't believe anyone would seriously find a fat troll like me attractive. I'd just stare and walk off. I don't mean to be rude and ignorant but I can't get it out of my head that a normal looking person will be interested in me.
I'm trying to change by thanking them and changing the subject but I don't take complements well.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
latiasracer said:
RED ALERT!

SHIELDS UP!

I can honestly say i would not expect it, so i would probably activate defensive mode and run away like a startled deer.

Captcha: "Which does a vegetarian eat?" No joke, a Kitten is an option
Yeah, that's pretty much me as well.

I get nervous as hell and I start to fidget a little. My friends have noted that I act weird when a dude is hitting on me and that's probably because it doesn't happen all that often, but when it does things start to get a little awkward.

I suck at these things. :/

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I'm socially pretty awkward, so I'd get embarassed and think they were staring at me because there was dirt on my nose or something...

I wouldn't really mind, though, as long as it wouldn't be intrusive or outright harassment (which has happened to me before), but I'd rather not attract attention.

I'm a (single)lesbian, so if it was a woman, and I might be interested back, it would be different.
But a guy? I wouldn't care.

Sabitsuki

Apr 20, 2013
I'm generally not too comfortable with being hit on. I'm in a relationship, and I am into women; so when the people who hit on me are a vast majority of men, there's a double-layered 'No Chance' factor. What makes me mostly uncomfortable about the idea though, is that most of the very few strangers who have attempted to hit on me really just didn't give a single solitary concern over either of those things. So while it's not really something common in my life, I have both absolutely no concern for the affections of strangers, and a consistent record of bad experiences with them.

I try to be polite, even though it is unwanted I don't like to be needlessly cross with people. However, I try to make it clear that I would really prefer nothing more than to return my attention to whatever I am doing, even if it's nothing. I am not particularly great at conversing with strangers as it is, but when one gets started on the basis of being physically interested in me I would really rather be doing pretty much anything else. I am sure there are those who would try this with sincere intent to simply flatter me, but I just don't want it.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
I wouldn't know if I was being checked out. I can respect individuals but I have utter disdain for the randoms I pass by every day. I don't care what they're looking at and don't particularly pay much attention to them.

They're simply shapes to me.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
There's yet to be any conclusive documentation of me ever being hit on. And if there was, I'd certainly be too clueless to even notice it.

So in answer to your question, I would just keep staring infront of me in total ignorance.

If I was aware of someone hitting on me, I think I'd walk up to them, shake their hand, and say thank you.