How do you say it

Mar 9, 2010
America, but I instantly correct myself to the USA. I'm saying USA more though so it's kind of a split. It's only because I don't want the USA to sound as good as being called America implies. So it is sort of verbal propaganda... I'm okay with that.

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
Redlin5 said:
The United States, the U.S or occasionally "those guys with guns who live down south.".
We're not all to the South of you! What about Alaska?
'Sides, "those guys down south" makes it sound like we're all cannibalistic inbred hillbillies who live in a swamp.

That's not us, that's just Mississippi and Kansas.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
smearyllama said:
Redlin5 said:
The United States, the U.S or occasionally "those guys with guns who live down south.".
'Sides, "those guys down south" makes it sound like we're all cannibalistic inbred hillbillies who live in a swamp.

The bulk of the country and weapons lie south of us. And I wasn't invoking that Southern stereotype.

no oneder

Jul 11, 2010
United States, because if you say America you're talking about the whole continent. From Alaska to Argentina.

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
I usually call it America but there always is some guy correcting me that I should say US or United States despite knowing what I meant with it.

ThatLankyBastard

Aug 18, 2010
I usually say, "those guys with the slingshot across the river that still haven't payed for that window they broke last week", or US...

...bastards...

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Usually I say The United States, or The U.S., talking about the people it is usually Americans (sorry the rest of North, Central, and South America), or Seppos.

bak00777

Oct 3, 2009
hmm i never thought about it, but i usually say a mix of the options you listed. Though i think i say America more than anything else.

Quesa

Jul 8, 2009
Professor James said:
I say United states so people won't be confused that I'm talking about the continents.
Because, you know, if you say "Damn those Americans" there's a real fear of slandering Guatemalans or Ecuadorians and having them run off with all of your shoes.

muckinscavitch

Jul 27, 2009
Usually call it the united states, mainly because I think calling it america is dumb since there are MANY more countries in the americas then that one.

Argtee

Oct 31, 2009
I usually switch between United States, America and United States of America.

Don't know why. I just...do.

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
Redlin5 said:
smearyllama said:
Redlin5 said:

The bulk of the country and weapons lie south of us. And I wasn't invoking that Southern stereotype.
Oh yeah, did I mention we all own assault rifles and Hummers too?

I joke, but still, there wouldn't be a stereotype without people to back it up.
Heck, even in Northern VA we get a few folks like that.