How do you say it

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
AHEM. As a true patriot, I can assure you that it is pronounced AMERCA. Note: stress the ER part. amERca.

Here, i'll use it in a sentence for you: ALL YOU HOMOBAMA LIBERAL COMMIE PINKO LIBERAL COMMIES... er... lost my train of thought.

BlueberryMUNCH

Apr 15, 2010
America.

...and on rare occasions, the U.S...but only when I feel adventurous and want to live dangerously.

Woah.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
I say U.S. because America refers to the entire continent...<.<

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
US or United States for the place, American for the demonym. US Citizen is far too clunky to use casually and I think it's very unlikely that people would misunderstand given that people from other countries in the Americas tend to use a demonym associated with their country rather than with their continent. This is especially true among North Americans and people from South America are far more likely to call themselves South Americans than Americans.

Calling the country "America" is a little awkward to me though. In that case, US or United States is no more clunky and considerably more specific. Even then, it doesn't bother me particularly when people say "America" to mean the US since it's become conventional enough at this point that there are very few misunderstandings.

ENKC

May 3, 2010
Any combination of the above depending on circumstances. In Australia we also refer to Americans as "Septics".

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
I tend to say either America or the US. I never say USA.
I'm American.

For a while I disliked saying "America" because of the ambiguity between the country and the continents, but I realized that most foreign peoples tend to call us Americans anyway.

Accountfailed

May 27, 2009
Quesa said:
Professor James said:
I say United states so people won't be confused that I'm talking about the continents.
Because, you know, if you say "Damn those Americans" there's a real fear of slandering Guatemalans or Ecuadorians and having them run off with all of your shoes.
this.

I usually refer to it as the LoF(Land of FOOD). because you guys have a surprisingly in depth food culture, to which I enjoy observing :)

XIGBARx13

Nov 19, 2009
I usually refer to it as America, but if I'm trying to sound more formal I say the US.