How do you say Melee?

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
Vornek said:
Me Lee

Try explaining to a six year old why a word is spoken different than what it looks like.
Sure thing. "English, as a language, is a mess. A beautiful, expressive mess, but still a mess. Some things will not make sense, so really reading and practise is the only way." :)

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
FenrisDeSolar said:
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Meh - Lay
but I'm from the north of england so I say everything incorrectly.
Nowai, British English is pretty much the original English. It's Meh-lay.
He's referring to the fact that he's from the north. :) By modern standards he's right that the north deviates from RP the most, but RP in itself is much newer than many northern dialects.

He's spot on with his "melee" though". :)

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
FenrisDeSolar said:
VulakAerr said:
He's referring to the fact that he's from the north. :) By modern standards he's right that the north deviates from RP the most, but RP in itself is much newer than many northern dialects.

He's spot on with his "melee" though". :)
She's* spot on, indeed.
Whooops! My apologies!

You're right that our deviations are most in intonation rather than actual pronunciation. Interesting. Time for some more research, I feel! :)

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Anarchemitis said:
May-lay is how I say it.
Same here, besides, it is the correct pronunciation.

I remember back in high school, when Super Smash Bros. Melee came out, some guy kept pronouncing Melee as "Ma-lee".

I said to him, "You must be playing some bizarre generic knock-off game, because all of us are playing 'May-lay'."

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
Well it's a French word, "mêlée" and it has accents, so you'd have to pronounce it with the accents for it to be technically correct.

In IPA it's /ˈmeɪleɪ/ (International Phonetic Alphabet if anyone is unsure) and that translates to "May-Lay" But also [mɛle] "Meh-Lay"

Potato21

Dec 17, 2009
There's two ways of saying it but it always ends in -lay, anyone ending it with a -lee is saying it wrong.

May-Lay or Meh-Lay, NO MEE-LEE

Segadroid

Apparently a Premium Member now
Mar 20, 2009
Since I am Dutch and English is my second language, I used to pronounce it like 'Muh-layy' when I was younger. The correct pronunciation being 'may-lay' I learned after listening to people who were talking through headphones.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
JackandTom said:
I've heard it said two ways but I wanted to know what was more common. Personally I say it like Me Lee, like its spelt but what about you guys?
May-Lay.

There's a word that's pronounced Me-lee. That word is mealy. And it means something entirely different.

havass

Dec 15, 2009
I used to say it as me-lee until I heard the band Melee. Then I learnt that it was supposed to be pronounced may-lay.

Ghostkai

Jun 14, 2008
May-Lay or Meh-Lay is fine (though, I personally say May-Lay)

MEE-LEE is just wrong.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Meh-Lay. Which is weird, because that's how I hear most British people say it, and I'm Australian.

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
I used to think it was pronounced "Mell-e".

Also, I thought debris was pronounced "Deb-riss".