How do you say Melee?

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
I think I used to pronounce it /me'li:/, but I've changed it to /ˈmeɪleɪ/ now that I looked it up on wikipedia...

ObsessiveSketch

Nov 6, 2009
MAY-lay.
as per http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56P3-TwuRBo&feature=player_detailpage#t=81s
and http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/melee

Aug 25, 2009
Apparently may-lay is the correct original way to say it, but most of the online dictionaries I've just surfed over say that meh-lay is now an equally acceptable term.

May-lee is not recognised by anyone though.

And according to CAPTCHA, offences unlitted. I wonder what that could mean?

acosn

Sep 11, 2008
it's pronounced "may-lay"

I feel like a backwater redneck whenever I hear someone say "Mee lee"

Jonabob87

Jan 18, 2010
Mehlay, it's not 100% correct but it's closer than "Mehlee" or "maylee".

Tarkus in DOW2 says "Meelay" which is so wrong I can't even comprehend.

Jonabob87

Jan 18, 2010
Belladonnah said:
Me Lee here. I'm not from UK or US, so I always said it the way it made more sense from the way the word is spelled.

Taunta said:
May-lay. People saying meh-lee or mee-lee really get under my skin.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/melee

Click on the speaker.
Just because one source says it May-lay doesn't mean it's the accepted pronunciation universally. I don't see why someone else saying it in another correct way would affect you :X

May-lay makes more sense if you go by the origin of the word. Me Lee makes more sense if you go by the way it's spelled.
It doesn't though, does it. "Me lee" would certainly be pronounced exactly how it sounds but the world is "Melee". The L changes the way the e sounds. Mel-ee Makes sense in that regard, me-lee doesn't.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
Mel ee

If by any reasons someone wants to go french with mêlée I change to may-lay which is rare though. If you spell it the english way it's mel ee to me.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
Macgyvercas said:
May-lay.

Anything else sounds weird.
I switch between Me-lay and May-lay, just depending upon how I feel like pronouncing it at the time. Normally Me-lay, because if I say May-lay people look at me like I'm being an arrogant prick, whereas Me-lay, it's more of a "Well, I guess you could say it that way" look.

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
Mehlay. It's an anglification of the original pronunciation but that's how most people I know pronounce the word. People who pronounce it "me lee" hurt my ears.

The same for people who pronounce "niche" as "nitch" and "clique" as "click". Sort it out! Learn where the fuck your words come from!

Voodoomancer

Jun 8, 2009
Mee-Lee

(english isn't my first language, I'mm good with it but "Mee-lee" stuck like that before I learned much about pronunciation.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Biosophilogical said:
Macgyvercas said:
May-lay.

Anything else sounds weird.
I switch between Me-lay and May-lay, just depending upon how I feel like pronouncing it at the time. Normally Me-lay, because if I say May-lay people look at me like I'm being an arrogant prick, whereas Me-lay, it's more of a "Well, I guess you could say it that way" look.
People look at you like you're an arrogent prick for using proper pronunciation? Dude, that sucks.

Vornek

Jan 25, 2011
Me Lee

Try explaining to a six year old why a word is spoken different than what it looks like.
then again, i did say Cry-tshal (or sometihing like that) when saying critical.

pokemon does strange things to young (norwegian) peoples pronunciation

-V the Viking

EDIT: spellcheck