How do you say Melee?

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
Macgyvercas said:
Biosophilogical said:
Macgyvercas said:
May-lay.

Anything else sounds weird.
I switch between Me-lay and May-lay, just depending upon how I feel like pronouncing it at the time. Normally Me-lay, because if I say May-lay people look at me like I'm being an arrogant prick, whereas Me-lay, it's more of a "Well, I guess you could say it that way" look.
People look at you like you're an arrogent prick for using proper pronunciation? Dude, that sucks.
It has less to do with 'pronouncing it properly', and more to do with seeming to act posher than my standing by using consecutive accented e's. But yeah, it does suck, but it isn't all that different to most other social norms. If I want to set a good first impression on someone I need to balance a whole number of social cues and signals with my own quirks so that I don't come across as crzy but also don't come across as someone who isn't me. Luckily, once I am friends with someone, they tend to be okay with me not following 'the rules' to the letter, which makes things far easier (explicit communication is far easier than implicit).

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
I use to say Mee Lee (Identical sound for the vowels saying me as one would say "Look at me.")

I now say May-Lay (Like May the month but with less empasis on the y as it's not the end of the word and lay as in "Lay down, you'll feel better after a rest."

I've heard Meh-Lay, which sounds entirely wrong beside actually being wrong. (Like "Meh, I don't care" with the same lay "Meh Lay")

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I switch. I dont mind if people say it either way though. Mostly because people should not be punished for how mean the english language is. In school we were taught to sound it out, its pretty fucked up then for anyone to mock people who say it like it LOOKS to sound.

^=ash=^

Sep 23, 2009
GodsAndFishes said:
Mel-lay.

Erm I should probably write some more stuff to avoid a low content post...
This ... is how i say it.

Me Lee just doesn't sound right to me.

xxx

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
"May-Lay"

I think that's the correct pronunciation as well.

neversleep

Dec 4, 2009
iblis666 said:
Eerors said:
Both ways are correct. U.S. English say May-Lay. U.K. English say Me-Lee.

See: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/melee
well atleast i feel a bit better about saying Me-Lee now[/quote

everyone should say it that way

because this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56P3-TwuRBo

(don't know how to embed so you'll probably have to copy but DO IT)

Gill Kaiser

Sep 3, 2008
It's meh-lay or may-lay. I pronounce it meh-lay, but I think may-lay is more accurate.

I'm English. I don't know why the above poster thinks we pronounce it "mel-lee". Anyone who says it as "mel-lee" is just flat-out wrong.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
I say it as May-Lay since that seems to be the correct way of pronouncing it due to it originally being a French word. Who on earth would pronounce it as mee-lee?