How Fast is Your Internet and How Much is it?

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
I've been hearing a lot of people say that the US has rather shitty internet compared to other first world nations and after looking it up I think they were right. Most places outside the US seem to have much higher speeds at much lower prices.

So I got curious. Escapist is a gaming community, internet connection is often important for games nowadays, and I've just been wondering how it varies between states and countries.

For me in Idaho, USA: Time Warner Cable

Claimed Speed: 15mbps

Actual Speed: Never went faster than 3.1mbps on a download and that was a very brief spike. Averages around 1.5 to 2 for a steam game.

Price: Was $39.99 a month, likely to become $56.99 in a month or two.

Care to share yours?

Slaanesh

Aug 1, 2011
Rhode Island, USA: Cox Digital Cable
Claimed SPeed:18Mbps
Actual Speed:1-4 Mbps,
Price: I believe $53.99.

I was under the impression that most countries besides the US had caps on their internet usage? I know that I don't have one on mine, and if I do I've never even hit the limit.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Deathleaper said:
Rhode Island, USA: Cox Digital Cable
Claimed SPeed:18Mbps
Actual Speed:1-4 Mbps,
Price: I believe $53.99.

I was under the impression that most countries besides the US had caps on their internet usage? I know that I don't have one on mine, and if I do I've never even hit the limit.
I've been told some companies do have caps but they're all over the place. I read one company in Japan has a cap of 30gb a day. Yes, a day. Others around the world range from 30gb a month to unlimited. My friend watches a lot of movies on netflix and the like and hits his comcast limit almost every month, unfortunately.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
My ISP is called Internode.

Actual download speeds: 400kb/s - 1mb/s.
Download cap: 150GB per month. (If I go over that, they cut my speed drastically, but I don't get charged extra.)
Price: $70 per month.

Welcome to Australia.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
I'm doing this from memory since I'm not at home to check.

Advertised speed:
down 30mb/s
up 8mb/s

Actual speed:
down ~20mb/s
up ~8mb/s

No DL cap.

And I pay 25 Euros a month (about $28,-)

WalrusPowers

Mar 30, 2011
Zhukov said:
My ISP is called Internode.

Actual download speeds: 400kb/s - 1mb/s.
Download cap: 150GB per month. (If I go over that, they cut my speed drastically, but I don't get charged extra.)
Price: $70 per month.

Welcome to Australia.
I'm with Telstra

Actual download speed: 100kb/s - 300kb/s
Download cap: 12GB per month, same consequences for going over.
Price: $90 per month.

My net would be similar to yours, but I'm told we can't get ADSL where we live. Internet came to the cities first, then they ran cheesy ad campaigns about bringing internet to the "true Australians". Meanwhile I'm stuck here in a semi-rural location. Fucking Telstra...

VladG

Aug 24, 2010

I pay ~ 12$ per month for this. No download limits. I also get free 3G mobile internet.

Galen Marek

Dec 5, 2011
Theoretical: 24Mbps
Actual: Average 1-4Mbps depending on what time and whom. Max:11Mbps (I was cheering that day, although it only lasted about 3 seconds).
Quota: Unlimited. Go nuts, if you can actually connect.
Price: $50-60, I can't exactly remember.

I think we are with PeopleTelecom.

Speed changes like crazy, one day 400 kBps, next, lucky to reach 100.

Telstra laid optical fibre in our region over a year ago. Haven't turned it on, its just sitting there.

10km away my Uncle has the NBN and sees 99Mbps.
So dumb.
Australia, Kangaroos are faster then our net.

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
Claimed download speed: 30 Mbps
Claimed upload speed: 100 Mbps
Actual download speed: 24 Mbps
Actual upload speed: 30 Mbps
Price: 20$ per month
Also: no download cap, plus I get 100 channel digital TV for free, and expansive LAN network with no bandwith limit

Speedtest.net for some reason shows that my DL speed is actually more than my ISP claims, but I am sceptical
[http://www.speedtest.net]
PS: It's okay to be jelly

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Claimed Download speed: 4Mbps
Claimed upload: 0.400MBps
Actual download: 0.400-.600MBps on steam
Actual upload: 0.400MBps

No download cap and I don't know the price.

So, super shitty internet, cause we live too remote so they can't be arsed to fucking make it better! :C

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Vausch said:
I've been hearing a lot of people say that the US has rather shitty internet compared to other first world nations and after looking it up I think they were right. Most places outside the US seem to have much higher speeds at much lower prices.

So I got curious. Escapist is a gaming community, internet connection is often important for games nowadays, and I've just been wondering how it varies between states and countries.

For me in Idaho, USA: Time Warner Cable

Claimed Speed: 15mbps

Actual Speed: Never went faster than 3.1mbps on a download and that was a very brief spike. Averages around 1.5 to 2 for a steam game.

Price: Was $39.99 a month, likely to become $56.99 in a month or two.

Care to share yours?
I live in Sydney Australia, I'm with Telstra, I have 100mb cable for $90/month, speed is often 50mb+ (Ive seen upto 80ish).
500GB download cap, which afaik Ive never gone over so to me its 'unlimited' :)

Galen Marek said:
Theoretical: 24Mbps
Actual: Average 1-4Mbps depending on what time and whom. Max:11Mbps (I was cheering that day, although it only lasted about 3 seconds).
Quota: Unlimited. Go nuts, if you can actually connect.
Price: $50-60, I can't exactly remember.

I think we are with PeopleTelecom.

Speed changes like crazy, one day 400 kBps, next, lucky to reach 100.

Telstra laid optical fibre in our region over a year ago. Haven't turned it on, its just sitting there.

10km away my Uncle has the NBN and sees 99Mbps.
So dumb.
Australia, Kangaroos are faster then our net.
Not here it isn't :p Actually on the NBN topic, hopefully you'll be getting that soon. If Telstra has fibre sitting there then they will probably end up hooking that upto the NBN as part of its network (and thus why its currently not used).

Sindwiller

Mar 15, 2008
Claimed DL: 75 mbit/s (IIRC)
Claimed UP: 7 mbit/s

Price: 65 Swiss francs a month (68$ or 52?)

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
VladG said:

I pay ~ 12$ per month for this. No download limits. I also get free 3G mobile internet.
*stares blankly* If I didn't look up Bucharest and see Romania I would've guessed South Korea. What are the odds I could plug into your router?

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Oh this is fun. I'm on BT and they suck dick!

This is from the thread I made a few weeks ago. I think this costs something like 25-30 pounds a month.

It's pretty accurate, so all of you can take solace in the fact your internet isn't THIS BAD!

I hate you all. goodbye

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
Just did a speed test. Most of you will hate me.

Ping: 4ms
Download: 40.74mbps
Upload: 35.35mbps

Cost?

Included in my Uni accommodation!

Its one of the best things about living on campus. Makes downloading shit on steam a breeze. But they are very, very good at catching pirates. So there is none of that here. But still.

I love my connection.
EDIT:

[http://www.speedtest.net]

Should have just put that in xD

jacmaree

Mar 12, 2013
ISP: Cybersmart
Download: 4mbps (actual 3 to 3.2mbps)
Upload: 512kbps
Price: 845 ZAR about 92 USD per month

Gotta love South Africa, fml.

Zac Jovanovic

Jan 5, 2012
jacmaree said:
ISP: Cybersmart
Download: 4mbps (actual 3 to 3.2mbps)
Upload: 512kbps
Price: 845 ZAR about 92 USD per month

Gotta love South Africa, fml.
Ouch! That's some brutal pricing. I wonder how that relates to average income and prices of commodities there.

I have a 12 down 1.5 up and it costs about 15 USD/month, in Serbia. It's usually 10-20% less than declared but I can't complain since it's perfectly stable.

I also noticed a few people confusing megabits with megabytes in terms of download speeds.
If you're paying for a 16 mbps connection and getting a 2 megabytes per second download speed, you're not getting screwed, you're getting exactly what you pay for.
I can't say I understand why ISPs use "mpbs" instead of "mbitps" to declare internet speeds but it seems it's a widely accepted system so the real download speeds are usually 1/8 of the declared one. Since 1 byte = 8 bits.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Advertised speed:
down 4-8mb/s

Actual speed:
down ~1.5mb/s ("Unlimited")

Connection type: ADSL

ISP: talk talk.

The internet itself is £6.50 per month with £130 (a year) already paid for the line rental. The original price would've been £18 a month.
Zac Jovanovic said:
I can't say I understand why ISPs use "mpbs" instead of "mbitps" to declare internet speeds but it seems it's a widely accepted system so the real download speeds are usually 1/8 of the declared one. Since 1 byte = 8 bits.
Erm what? There is no such thing as "mbitps". It's either mb (for Megabytes, referring to size) and mbps (for Mega bits per second, referring to transfer speeds). When we talk about data size we say Bytes, when we talk about speed it's bits.