How gaming will die and why it is our fault

Branes

Mar 31, 2009
The gaming industry is going the way of Hollywood, imitation of anything that has once worked, fear of innovation, over hyped mediocre or worse content. The one thing that is killing the industry is sequels that are released simply to create new revenue with no real changes except cosmetic or worse, attempts to improve that actually ruin the game..case in point, the new MLB 09 the Show. The baserunning part of Road to the Show is an abortion.
Even the commentary is pretty much the same. A few new lines, but hardly worth spending another $60 on. The did add a batting practice mode, but you can only choose the pitches you want, not the locations.

carlosvader77

May 7, 2008
I don't think it will die, as long as there's people with the need for interactive entertainment or dare I say "interactive emotions". Yes, I do think videogames are an art form, an expression of humanity. And because of that they will not die. Like music, painting, dance, film before it.

Look at the past, TV did not kill cinema. They have just absorbed from each other, HBO Movies are top notch when compared to cinematic releases, right? TV did not kill radio, I still listen to the radio in my car. Art forms have a tendency to learn to live with each other and take the best things from each other to apply them to their own medium.

Videogames will not die, nor will they kill cinema or TV as entertainment. It's just another option for entertainment and/or artistic expression.

Choices, that's something society will always want.

O277

Feb 25, 2009
Gaming isn't dying at all, I totally disagree with anyone who says that it is, fair enough there have been some stinkers out there, but not all that bad at all. It also pisses me off that people who say that casual gamers will kill gaming off, how does that even make sense? Or constantly knock Halo3 or GTA4, its become increasingly annoying, not all games are perfect sure, but just because you spend hours playing TF2 or Source doesn't mean your opinion is final. Get off your pedestals, people get PAID to review games. And I also get annoyed at people who slag EA off and then play Crysis... *rolls eyes*

Games FTW

scoHish

Mar 27, 2008
First up, I love how many people got suspended in this thread. And second, I think we're reaching the same point with games as we are with movies where original ideas don't sell, so directors and producers and forced to make shitty rehashes of past successes. Sure they draw an audience, but they fail to advance the medium any.

Jurassic Rob

Mar 27, 2009
listen! everyone should just calm down.

gaming is and should be a hobby, nothing more.

the industry of late has boomed out of all proportion. recent sales figures (in the UK anyway) put sales of games over dvd and cd combined.

once gaming takes over your life and it becomes a reason to live, and not a means of pleasure. if you find yourself coming home from work with the express purpose of just going on your respective console or pc, then stop!

gaming is fast becoming an addiction, that people cannot control! life is many and varied. by all means play games, but keep it logical.

don't come home from work and stay online until 1am. yes play everyday, but why not only play for an hour or two. then do something else, go to a friends house, make some friends (for the fanboys), meet a girl or a boy. get out enjoy your life! you only get one, use it as much as possible! don't waste it away playing on WOW or Halo or any other game.

it's all about control! it's up to you!

Dsmith2895

Jan 6, 2009
It wont die out man. It may diminish into something pathetic , but my friends, gaming will never completely die out. There will still be gaming in 2012, in 2020, in 2030, and beyond that! Iv'e always said, 'Nothing completely dies out, it may falter it may fall, but it will come back again better than ever before, there is no end just a resurrection.

Phenakist

Feb 25, 2009
Personally I think it's due to all these games that manage to get players addicted to their grind, Call of Duty and WoW spring to mind. They aren't necessarily bad games but their selling point is grind in the bluntest use of the term. Everything is about mulitplayer consisting of simple objective tasks and killing everything you see, this also causes a problem since developers are spending so much time making their multiplayer "perfect" they give us a mediocre storyline in campaign, which was what it was all about not even 5 years ago, and what it still SHOULD be. As for the Wii, Nintendo have made a mistake in letting all these silly little games like "Peppa Pig" and that whole "Imagine" series onto their console, they've just made it cheap and tacky to be honest. BUT the Wii's main title games have not been failures by any means. Even if Mario has had a couple with his "jack of all tradesness"

EDIT: I understand it's supposed to be a more "casual" games console, but I'm pretty sure "casual" doesn't mean "aimed for 5 year olds"

Canebrake

Nov 14, 2008
Games are different from each other.

Now,i know this is hard to read. But this isn't to be read.
It is to be comprehended.

Games are different from each other. And people are different from each other.

Why do we expect,or even want to expect. Every game will be fun for every person?
I know i have enjoyed some titles far,far more than the general media has. Or had.
Titles like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl. Descent,or Sauerbraten. (don't be surprised if you haven't heard of the last two,one's over a decade old,the other was developed open source.)

What do we consider fun?
For me,elements of these are gold to me. And i will explain why.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl. Is a game that seemed simple on the surface. Shooting,looting,and quick saving all were things that i had done in other games. but not necessarily in the same title.
This game had immersion. So much immersion it had it coming out of every orifice it had. It simply oozed immersion.
The fighting was dynamic,and just like in real life,you couldn't always see everything in front of you. There were mutant monsters that growled in the dark,sometimes whole packs of them. And when they leaped into your flashlight beam they scared you. bad.

They always scared you. period. I played that game for 6 months straight. and they scared me right up to the end. You know how you wish FEAR was scary? well stalker was what FEAR wasn't.

Descent was my first PC title. One of the first fathers of 3D games,almost as much a pioneer as Doom,or Quake. Yet nobody remembers it. Shame too,it had both a simply stunning single player and amazing multi player. The game sported 6DOF fights in zero gravity. Although i know this didn't sound very impressive,it was one hell of a game back in 1995.
(if you happen to have a PC that supports MS-DOS or has dos box,i highly recommend looking into this title. even today the Single player's quite a campaign. Though sadly multi player's dead. nobody plays it anymore. ;.( )

And i found sauerbraten fairly recently in a Open source games website. (i won't advertise,but if you want to know PM me.) What did Sauerbraten have other than an awesome name? One of the most accessible and intuitive world editors i have ever seen in my life.
It's the evolution of the Cube engine. You simply add and remove cubes of differing sizes to make an environment you can share with friends and fight in. It also supports slants,texturing etc. however it does not in any way get in the way for a beginner. And one of the other cool features it has is a built in map optimizer.
If you've ever tried to build a decent map in Hammer or any map making program,you'd know how hard it is to keep everything optimized. in fact it becomes neigh impossible if you don't do extensive calculations and use special extensively time consuming techniques.

I believe i find "different" and "intuitive" fun. But for some,death matches will always be king. the adrenaline is simply the most powerful and compelling force we will ever feel. (at least as gamers :p)
And finding something as easy to operate as a shooter and yet so highly addicting is an impossible task.
Sometimes even years later we can come back and find an entirely fresh game. If you can pull yourself away from the flashy graphics of next-gen.

I think it isn't the games. games are plenty fun. the real problem resides in making a game fun for everyone,and compelling enough to keep everyone playing.
There are alot of people that would enjoy more than plain shooters but have never played anything better suited to them,and so they drone on. Living on hype and broken dreams.
And we are the elite,who have seen enough to be unhappy with what we can find.

It's sort of a curse and a blessing. Being one compelled to go where nobody has gone before,and pushing the boundaries.
Only we can't do anything...yet.

Just pray when the current group of games Dev's die of old age we get hired.
Keep your hopes high and your expectations low,cheers.

Phenakist

Feb 25, 2009
Canebrake said:
Just pray when the current group of games Dev's die of old age we get hired.
Keep your hopes high and your expectations low,cheers.
Hear hear, well said. They focus too much on what will "sell" as apposed to making a uniquely good game, taking a risk, that may or may not sell, either being welcomed and put in a special place in gamer hearts or given an "Ahwell I guess that didn't work as well as I thought, back to mainstream grind". Take Left 4 Dead and Mirrors Edge, both pretty unique games and got mixed reviews and sold well, that is what I mean by taking a risk

nohorsetown

Dec 8, 2007
I'm not worried about it. I highly doubt the industry will "die", as in, go away completely, without some kinda apocalypse wherein everything else dies too. It's possible that a time could come where the big boys release nothing but shit, but there'll always be "indie" games. And even failing that.. let's say no-one ever makes a good game again, and the "spirit dies" or whatever.. we'll still have a backlog of hundreds of good old games we never got around to completing. And there's always, like, board games and stuff.

But really, I think the situation is just fine. It was like this for the NES, too, "back in the day". Tons of cookie-cutter games and movie tie-ins. Jump and shoot. A few good titles here and there. It's not a big deal.

Valkraye

Oct 27, 2008
Okay, I don't think gaming will die as long as the developers stay intent on pandering to the young teen "mommy-buy-me-that-one gamers" (in the loosest possible meaning of the word gamers), but hardcore/actual gaming will probably have something akin to a stroke where it is left a shadow of its former self. Thank you developers for mass producing crap rather than taking the time and effort to produce a proper, not-dumbed-down game, Real Gamers everywhere thank you.

Also, i view the gaming industry something along the lines of your heart meets the Big Mac. One every now and again, like quality games in the industry, is fine but too many, like all those pethetic little dumbed down games, will clog your arteries and once this happens is a bloody shit-fight to reverse. Also it generally ends badly for everyone involved.